What Happened to the Spanish?

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: What Happened to the Spanish?

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I did some good colonial Spain testing over the weekend. I did FF once and beat the Aztecs, but my opponent said it was not his main civ. Either way, lancers do a number on all Aztec units; add in a few skirms and the pumas go down pretty easy.

Today I started wondering about what Spain can do in a team match. Does anyone use the unction card? Would it make sense to train a few missionaries in colonial to take advantage of that damage aura? How much of a boost does it give? Does it affect your ally, too? I'm curious about this. I've seen that in most team games the Spanish player goes all-Hussar or rod/pike for anti-cav duties. In either case, some attack-boosting missionaries would likely be a nice perk. What is your impression?[/quote]

I have a hard time beating Aztec no matter the matchup. In fact I lose to most war chief civs :roll: . However, I know that in team games, the unction card is a pain if you are on the receiving end :( There's also an interesting sling in the strat section here that I'm wondering if anyone has tried since the patch. Link: http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... opic&t=190
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Wow, thanks, Soccer; that archived strat was right on point and answered a lot of my questions. The "sling" strat sounds pretty complicated and would require a lot of coordination to pull off, but at least now I know missionaries' attack boost only affects Spanish units.

Also, I share your disenchantment with the Aztecs. I don't like playing warchiefs civs, either. I have worked out some counter-strats, thankfully, but you need good micro to stop 19 maces, 6 pumas, 5 coyotes (maybe 2 SKs, too) and treasure guardians plowing into you at 6:00 !!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Nighthawk22 »

hm.. ive never used Spain, but i always wanted to. they always looked fun, but it was recommended to me not to use them since theyre power was lowered. :(
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Wow, thanks, Soccer; that archived strat was right on point and answered a lot of my questions. The "sling" strat sounds pretty complicated and would require a lot of coordination to pull off, but at least now I know missionaries' attack boost only affects Spanish units.

Also, I share your disenchantment with the Aztecs. I don't like playing warchiefs civs, either. I have worked out some counter-strats, thankfully, but you need good micro to stop 19 maces, 6 pumas, 5 coyotes (maybe 2 SKs, too) and treasure guardians plowing into you at 6:00 !![/quote]

You're welcome. I'd be willing to try the sling as the Russian as it is my strongest civ. I know I'd be giving up a card, but I still think I'd be worth it to over-whelm an FB that early in the game, plus the Missionaries stack pretty good and they are dang fast, as a last-ditch effort could be a decent meat-shield..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Russia Spain 2v2 works. Russia has got cheap priests card.