Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

10 settlers in TC firing vs. the resources lost not gatherin

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Hi,

If you have a smallish army surrounding a TC while 10 settlers are firing from inside killing your units, who's loosing out, you or them?

i.e., are their 10 settlers killing your troops at a faster rate than you're equvalent 10 settlers at your own end are gathering resources?

Sometimes, if I'm attacking in this situation, knowing their settlers are housed up inside, I'll put my pikes in cover mode. In my understanding, this means they're doing half damage but taking half damage. I figure if they're taking twice as long to get killed that's those 10 settlers being inside for twice as long and not gathering resources. Plus, it gives you longer to send in reinforcements.

Any thoughts?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: 10 settlers in TC firing vs. the resources lost not gath

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

If you have your tc alone fighting the small army it's not too good, cause 10 vills gather a lot of res. Also, don't forget that if your tc deals 90 damage against, ie xbow, is the same as if it deals 63 damage with only 7 vills inside because it will kill in 2 shots.

The tc is very important if you have your own army and you engage a battle by your town, it's very important.

That pike strat is good, but look for the pattern. If you have 10 pikes and the ones being attacked are the ones in the right, set only 3 or 4 pikes in covered mode so that they survive longer but the other 6-7 pikes keep dealing full damage! This is very important when taking out ATPs.
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Thanks.

In quite a few games, I've spotted a TP going up and gone in to take it down only to find they're tough things to take down! I've lost a few units, taken a long time to do it, and let my opponent know what units I've built. Was it worth it? Infact, I'd attribute loosing quite a few games to doing that.

When a TC or TP is auto targetting your units, is their an order? e.g., do they target the nearest unit first? Do they prioritise certain units over otherones? Or work from left to right/right to left Anyone know?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Yeah they'll target near units I think. They'll always shoot the closest one to approach the tc and then they start attacking the ones close of that one iirc.
Well attacking ATPs is only worth it when the trade route is upgraded and when you've killed the explorer. When playing otto I'd just let the tp be killed and then, after moving to the next tp, I'd just rebuild it for 150 wood :D