Sandbagging for Spain

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sandbagging for Spain

Post by Palehorse »

Not intentionally, although my record looks that way. Since the patch, I have 13 wins and 28 losses in QM 1v1's playing Spain.

I dunno how the maths work; maybe Spain gets some sort of boost? Anyway, my PR and ELO are basically unchanged.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Re: Sandbagging for Spain

Post by LaZy »

Havent played a single peep using spain since the patch came out. Kinda miss those horrid dogs chasing my explorer in early game tbh :)

Out
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Mr PH.

Looks like you are loosing to the people that are higher ranked than you and beating people lower ranked than you with few exceptions. Spain does have a smaller win % so when you win you'll get more points than most and when you lose, you'll give up fewer points. I think you should lower the window on the QS settings as I've seen you've played a few 27-28 PR guys....

I also see that you're losing to PR 14 & 15 guys. You need to beat these guys on a consistent basis to get that higher ranking. I did see some wins against a pr 27 guy (3 second game ;) ) and one against a PR 26 guy. But most of your wins are coming against people well below you, which won't get you any PR..

If you're sticking w/spain, find Lottolonny online as he's been having some luck w/them according to ELOratings..

Keeping it in the +/- 4 is probably best to get your PR moving upwards in QS b/c you'll correct the smaller mistakes faster and will get more points for beating the guys you can beat that are 3-4 PR higher than you.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

Soccerman771,

Maybe there is a better time of day/week to get QS? I have fallen asleep on more than one occasion waiting for an opponent playing late evenings EST USA. And that is with the PR/Tier window all the way open.

Nothing like waking up to gaia sounds and a TC and idle villies LOL.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Yes, if you can get on between 6-9 PM CST, I've found games rather quickly with it set +/- 4. Weekend's in the AM is a good time as well, but you'll play mostly Europeans and the lag can be bad.

You could always host games in the browser that way you have to click for the game to start and thus you're already awake ;)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Soccerman771""] Spain does have a smaller win % so when you win you'll get more points than most and when you lose, you'll give up fewer points.[/quote]

This is 100% false. Such a system is blasphemously subjective.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

PS, I can help with spain a fair bit. I love playing spain. It's definetly my favorite civ to play. (well maybe except otto)
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

I will ping you if I see you online :D
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""Soccerman771""] Spain does have a smaller win % so when you win you'll get more points than most and when you lose, you'll give up fewer points.[/quote]

This is 100% false. Such a system is blasphemously subjective.[/quote]

It depends on other things as well, but as a generalization win % of a civ does factor into the equation....
jtackel@hotmail.com

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""Soccerman771""] Spain does have a smaller win % so when you win you'll get more points than most and when you lose, you'll give up fewer points.[/quote]

It depends on other things as well, but as a generalization win % of a civ does factor into the equation....[/quote]

as far as I know, soccerman is right about this
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Yes, it is like that. Otto sucks for pr while japan used to be very good, same for ports.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Don't try a ff v Iroquois. Someone tried it against me - 15 tomahawks on melee go through lancers real easy!

The only advantage you have is your fast ships, so I would think that going maybe ATP in age 1 (second card) and then spamming tps for massive shipment boost is an idea. Fast infantry does not need to be played so soon as you will not immediately have econ to use this.

Edit: maybe a native rush followed by a semi-ff. I looked at shipments and Spain really does need to be in fortress to make full use of their best shipments/units.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Some players are so weird. I almost always win vs a player lower ranked than me. And I always loose vs higher ranked player players.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""luukje""]Some players are so weird. I almost always win vs a player lower ranked than me. And I always loose vs higher ranked player players.[/quote]

Perhaps you have found your true level in life ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""Soccerman771""] Spain does have a smaller win % so when you win you'll get more points than most and when you lose, you'll give up fewer points.[/quote]

It depends on other things as well, but as a generalization win % of a civ does factor into the equation....[/quote]

ESO has never released the equation it uses to establish PR (and it's unlikely that it will ever happen). I still don't buy it though -- it's way too subjective. Different teirs of players favor different civs and that in no way is an effective method for establishing PR balance based on win %.

Until I have something is writing (or post) from someone who actually works for ESO -- I will maintain my status here. I would be really upset if the system was based around this scenario. It's so subjective.