I have gone full circle

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I have gone full circle

Post by Palehorse »

After some helpful advice, I tweaked my archaic rush and started a win streak.

Then I started getting higher players on QM (3 2nd LT's in a row last night) and things started to slip.

Drew a zero gamer last night (he is now 2nd LT already having played 18 games in 24 hours; 2100+ ELO in Vanilla) and lost again. Then, my very next match, I got him again on Borneo, and decided to go all out water boom.

By mid Fortress I had 28 fishing boats and 50 peons, and was beating him at his own game, using skirms and falconets, and vet pikes and rods.

Anyway, it was my first non-archaic rush game in a week, and it ended a 5 game losing streak.

I am wondering if I am going to be able to get past Sergeant level with Spain using the Archaic rush?

Borneo Game Stats
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: I have gone full circle

Post by Soccerman771 »

Well done. The boat boom is definitely what gave you the game. It amazes me how many people I've seen play dutch and don't think they have to compete on water b/c they have banks.. :/

I think if you perfect strats with any civ you can get above Serg. Getting to the mid ranks is more about play style than civ use IMO...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

You did well in that game according to the stats, PH.

I still find that the Spanish FF is still viable despite it's nerf, but if you are wanting to rush I would consider using French - they have the eco you need for a continuous spam of crossbow/pike.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

i had the same problem when i first started playing spain, i was unsure of how effective the archaic rush was/ how to execute it-> heres a link that helped me alot http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?porta ... pic=105751

and yet another spain

http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?porta ... pic=105931

hope that helps :] cheers
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

You definetly do not need to archaic rush. You can still FF or semi-FF with ease. I like doing a 5+4 villager colonial w/ a 10 musket harass. You get eco + shipments in the next age then.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

archaic rush is a good strat, but as any other strat, it depends on some factors. (opposing civ, map, treasures etc... can all have impact on which strat to pick from) That's why you should not just know 1 single strat, but diversify as much as possible and adapt depending on the given situation.

I like to start with archaic rush to put pressure (without trying to finish the game right there) and switch to water boom.
Just keep on trying different things and you'll find patterns that will guide you for the future
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I found no reasons for someone to play Spain really :\ French, German or Brit are somewhat similar and they're all better.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I found no reasons for someone to play Spain really :\ French, German or Brit are somewhat similar and they're all better.[/quote]

not everybody picks a civ purely based on it's power level
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I've found that saving seconds in discovery can really make/break a rush, some times more than what you actually do in early colonial!

Have a look at the Milo VOD on RTS: http://www.rtsprofessional.com/guides/aoe3/ (sorry, can't do hyper links).

I found some really amazing tips that most sergeants/mstr sergeants probably don't do to their full (like me). I played a quick Iro mirror vs Sporting and with the same settlers on aging he aged up nearly 20 seconds before me - that's all due to good villager micro and treasure hunting.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

I watched the first Braidon record, and have to say it was rather painful to watch.

1. I like his creeping and followed how he used his explorer and War Dogs. I do not understand how he was so able to keep tabs and an upper hand on the Ikkeis or whatever they are called. They and the Chinese explorers always give me fits.

2. I thought his xbow mass was rather slow. I can have 23 units, albeit with a weaker econ, by the time he made his first 5.

3. I grew rather frustrated with all the bump and run probing. He always seemed to not want to tank in front of his xbows with his melee units, which kept them alive, but out of position to intercept Nags. Basically those pikes spent alot of time marching around. Finally, he took out those shrines with them, before committing to the last mass battle.

4. All that map control and resources piling up and no cavalry raiding.

5. He built a church and got LOS upgrades and still missed that large counter attack on the left hand side of the map.

6. With rare exception, he seemed to be playing like he owned the map, and the Japanese player seemed to concede that fact. Is that just his reputation framing how the opponent played?
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

Upon further review . . . I am way too aggressive. I lose many games throwing troops at the TC.

1. Militia, I never use them, don't have a deck with colonial miilia card; I totally under estimate how many civs can just hide out behind the TC and whip a much costlier force.

2. I am always getting called back in team games. I don't have a sense of when overwhelming force has been reached, and send in the troops too soon.

3. RAX at home. I often lose a forward and cannot recover troop mass to defend a raid or slow/stop an advance cause I have to make a RAX.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

not everybody picks a civ purely based on it's power level

That's why I gave similar civs. Brit is funner than Spain and French looks a lot like Spain too.