aoe2 HD reviews

General Discussion about Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

aoe2 HD reviews

Post by deadhanddan »

just read the reviews for  aoe2HD on gamespot  and eurogamer and after reading them i don't think i will buy it until the problems they listed are corrected.

sucks that this game was re-released  in such shoddy shape , was hoping for improved pathfinding , decent multiplayer system , and heightened visuals ( i remember the original , can't see any noteworthy difference from various vids i have viewed on youtube )

reason i posted this is because i saw no threads about this and am wondering if the general consensus here @ N3O is content with this game or?

the reviews i read :
http://www.gamespot.com/age-of-empires- ... w-6407044/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -hd-review
- Dan
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: aoe2 HD reviews

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Well the upgrade from voobly is really small. It's worth it if you have the time to dedicate to it, otherwise voobly does the job well.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

as i guessed correctly, need to wait until they fix the bugs.
since verybody is online now, they know they can be sloppy, and bring the fixes later. If noone would be online, then the game would have need to be 100% bugfree
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Aaryn_GenD wrote: as i guessed correctly, need to wait until they fix the bugs.
since verybody is online now, they know they can be sloppy, and bring the fixes later. If noone would be online, then the game would have need to be 100% bugfree
Hmm i don' think that u are right Aaryn. THey pushed in beta a fix which should solve many of the complaints i heard from AEO2 players.
see
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221380/di ... 633144719/

@Dan: There are improved graphics but it does not matter since u are used already even to better graphics. U should keep in mind that this is a re-release of a old game, they did not rewrite everything.
Also some things are kept intentional the "AOE2 way". And it is still selling strong on Steam. Always in top 5 since last few weeks

I will buy AOE2 HD when it is on sale and maybe play a bit cause skill level in HD is much lower. First i don't want to install vrious addons and workarounds to play AOE2 and second i don't want to lose all the time till i hit finally <1000 ELO Rating to compete on Voobly. And it always depends on how many people will play AOE2 to really become a N3O game. So far only a few play AOE2 and they are split between Steam and Voobly
Last edited by Comadevil on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

why am i not right? i predicted the game will have tons of problems and it will take weeks/months till they are fixed. looking at it, i think i was right  :P
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

THis is not what i quoted. U tell they can be sloppy now. It seems they are not sloppy. :P
Cause all the issues listed there, are the issues long AOE2 players complained about
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I kinda predicted that aoe2 was mostly something for the core aoe2 players that were already playing it.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Well that is a wrong prediction IMO if u see that AOE2 HD is constantly in Steam Top 5 and the skill level on HD is pretty low compared to what core AOE2 players are used to, which indicates many people who didn't play it (anymore), play it now
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Indeed, the hardcore fans sticked to voobly while aoe2 hd is mainly nostalgia fans.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Yeah it surprises me aswell. But I think this is just some sort of hype that isn't going to last too long.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

it depends how fast they fix the bugs. if they do, it can be a success
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

releasing a bugged game is counter productive and stupid

word of mouth is their main source of advertising...

the only thing they have is nostalgic fans of who some will feel ripped off and voice their complaints to others who will in turn not want to waste $$$ on an defective product such as aoe2 ''hd''

if anything...the game developers should have bent over backwards to insure a quality game  that promotes itself....all i can see from this is a quick cash grab with little to no interest in future support.

if i'm proven wrong in the future about all this - i'll admit it....but considering how this company shipped out a defective game like this , you can't have realistically high expectations when the company apparently never had them to begin with.
- Dan
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Word of mouth is being far, far kinder and supportive to aoe2 hd than compared to aoeo when it was released.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

So few people knew about aoeo. So many people know about aoe2hd now, so their marketing strategy worked (it was probably the pure aoe2-nostalgia though).
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Well AOEO was also at the beginning no (competitive) RTS game
deadhanddan wrote: releasing a bugged game is counter productive and stupid

word of mouth is their main source of advertising...

the only thing they have is nostalgic fans of who some will feel ripped off and voice their complaints to others who will in turn not want to waste $$$ on an defective product such as aoe2 ''hd''

if anything...the game developers should have bent over backwards to insure a quality game  that promotes itself....all i can see from this is a quick cash grab with little to no interest in future support.
Well the AOE2 is still in Top 5 on Steam. If word of mouth would have benn so bad, people would not buy it in such quantities.  I am also quite active in an AOE2 die hard community forum (though i don't play it) and the upcoming patch solves many issues most people complain about there. And the then following announced bugfixes for future patches hit the rest. THough the other issue sill remains for still acitve AOE2 players: That people are not really skilled, who play the HD version

Also it shows finally that the AOE series got into the hands of a product manager who sees the real value of the AOE series. Else i think they would have made such re-release much earlier. Also the sales numbers are a good motivation to develop another AOE game