Homestory Cup 3

This forum is for news articles
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Homestory Cup 3

Post by Comadevil »

Dreamhack is over and the next great tournament is in front of our door. Dennis "Take" Gehlen, host at the IEM finals and known for his "Become A Pro" series is hosting his 3rd homestory cup. Instead of being at a big venue the tournament is hosted in his flat. He moved from his small two room flat to a big flat which is located above an Irish pub in Krefeld, Germany. He invested about 45k-50k Euros to transform part of it into a studio, place for journalists and tournament place with professional equipment. He was quite busy with renovating the flat, putting network and electricity cables in etc, so that is why "Become a Pro" wasn't continued during that time, but will soon continue after HC3.
Nevertheless the lineup is almost as great as at Dreamhack, though some Koreans are missing. Some of the lineup: MC, Huk, Thorzain, Socke, Darkforce, Jinro. Just take a look at the groups.

The difference between usual tournaments and Homestory Cups is that Take won't cast all the time himself, but also even other players will cast during the tournament. The casts will be in English.
There will be a free stream and a paid HD stream. HD pass can be ordered here. Also it is a much more private atmossphere than at usual tournament cast. Unforgotten is the stripper paid by the community at the first Homestory Cup.

If you live near Krefeld u can also go to the Irish Pub under Takes flat. There will be public viewing (HD stream). Also u are able to lend there notebooks for free to watch the stream.

The tournament starts on Thursday 23.06. 12:00 CEST and last till Sunday 23:00 CEST. Stream is on from 12:00-23:00 CEST everyday.

If you know German you can also check out Takes new homepage

So expect again great SC2 matches.
Last edited by Comadevil on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Homestory Cup 3

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ye  this will be great too. i'm gonna watch some of the interesting games later, since i am on a weddin gon saturday^^
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

the cup is over HuK won once again, 4-2 vs Naniwa and 3-1 vs MC
really amazing play by HuK, especially the last game and how well he used the dts in midgame
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

the most awesome comeback in sc2 so far!
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Aaryn_GenD wrote: really amazing play by HuK, especially the last game and how well he used the dts in midgame
surely u mean endgame, bcos it did infact end the game for Nani who was so far ahead when those dts where warped in.

I agree with Hej, that was in fact the most awesome come back Ive ever witnessed. When that second push from Huk failed, I would of just put on my Idra mask and rage quit. But he clearly showed that drastic times require drastic measures, and thats what he did. SJapaneseing both the observers and then killing the Robo was huge and won a game he might not have actually deserved to win, but luck is a crucial part of any sport.

Nani, who could of been a little bit more professional during the prize ceremony, was the first 2 admit that he should have been able 2 read the game better in such a way to be realize that he was waaaaaaaaay ahead and could of finished the game when he crushed Huks attacking army.

A lot of the "great" players played much more defensively and "safe" in this tournament. Rotterdam mentioned this in many situations where clearly those known for their aggressiveness and eagerness 2 advance preferred 2 crush their enemies army and mass a little more, rather then push straight away. Could this b something that will continue throughout the community? Will we see this in more upcoming tournaments. Day 9 is clearly in favour of making ur small advantage grow rather than 2 use it straight away.

Huk takes it again. From a financial POV the last 10 days have been very solid for Huk. Congrats 2 him. Hes also "grown" a little bit, not in size, but in maturity bcos when asked if he still considered himself as the best SC2 player of the world he was clearly very humble in his response.

No Koreans in the finals this time BUT, both HUK and NANI come from the Korean scene, with their way of thinking and training style. So in fact, imo, we did have 2 Koreans in the finals who just look foreign.

Double Protoss in the finals. Coincidence surely, since the finals of the last couple of tournaments have had a great variety of civs played. Still always important, imo, 2 note that Protoss was infact present by both players in the final games.

I absolutely loved this tournament and everything it stands for. My hat goes off to Dennis "take" for a tremendously successful tournament in the comfort of his own home. I can just imagine my wife´s face if Id come home one day and say "honey, Im having some (50) friends come over for a while (4 days) and we´re going 2 play a little and film it all. ROFL

out
Last edited by LaZy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

LaZy wrote:
Nani, who could of been a little bit more professional during the prize ceremony, was the first 2 admit that he should have been able 2 read the game better in such a way to be realize that he was waaaaaaaaay ahead and could of finished the game when he crushed Huks attacking army.
You don't know how Nani was in the beginning months. He behaved at HSC3 like a gentleman compared to the time before he joined dignitas ;)
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

LaZy wrote: Huk takes it again. From a financial POV the last 10 days have been very solid for Huk. Congrats 2 him. Hes also "grown" a little bit, not in size, but in maturity bcos when asked if he still considered himself as the best SC2 player of the world he was clearly very humble in his response.
This is so right. He used to be really arrogant and all but now his attitude is much better!

No Koreans in the finals this time BUT, both HUK and NANI come from the Korean scene, with their way of thinking and training style. So in fact, imo, we did have 2 Koreans in the finals who just look foreign.
I dont think naniwa has anything to do with koreans?
Double Protoss in the finals. Coincidence surely, since the finals of the last couple of tournaments have had a great variety of civs played. Still always important, imo, 2 note that Protoss was infact present by both players in the final games.
If you really think about it the tree protoss players in top 3 are the most skilled and consistent players in the tournament so it went the right way. :)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

HeJurmhoanni wrote:

That is right. He isn't in the korean scene but will be in there because he will go in August to Korea for some time.

It is more the other way round. Since Naniwa doesn't blame everyone and everything except himself for losses anymore, he really improved and got focused. It seems he realized he is responsible for that. Before he was bming and ranting like Lalush or Nerchio.

He also was kicked out of EPS Germany because of bming and that he didn't play at the scheduled dates. Also he got kicked then by MYM who paid him his flat/room in Germany
He also didn't behave nice towards Take for some time.

But Take is the one who got over it and said: Naiwa is one of the best protoss and he must be at the tournament no matter what happened before
Last edited by Comadevil on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

oh lazy i meant midgame because both were still on two bases and the army size not huge, endgame to me is having lots of bases andhigh tech, ending the game is something else for me^^
that's what i loved, i don't like this robotic approach, what huk did was just witty and smart, especially when he pulled nanis observer the wrong way.
HeJurmhoanni wrote:
LaZy wrote: No Koreans in the finals this time BUT, both HUK and NANI come from the Korean scene, with their way of thinking and training style. So in fact, imo, we did have 2 Koreans in the finals who just look foreign.
i think lazy is talking about the "korean approac" of naniwa since he trains so much. and hei s going to korea with thorzain now.

game 2 or 3 of HuK vs MC was great, it really shows how to micro in PvP with gateway units. gotta copy that in season 3
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Aaryn_GenD wrote: i think lazy is talking about the "korean approac" of naniwa since he trains so much. and hei s going to korea with thorzain now.
But he also didn'T have that korean approach for a long time
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Was real cool getting to see the players in a more casual atmosphere and the games were great. Like many I think, I am becoming a HUK fan, his micro is insane the way he can control blink stalkers so that he doesn't lose a single one is awe inspiring. It has to be every zergs worst nightmare mid game, he made Idra look like a noob with his control. I think what this tournament showed was that the Korean training regiment is the best but if "foreign" players can train just as hard and beat the Koreans at their own game. I am loving these tournaments can't wait for the next one!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

the koreans don't have that tight schedule i think,  there was this broodwar playe who went to the korean sc2 progaming house and quit  na week because it was way too lax.
sc2 is still in its childshoes in korea
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

From what i have understood the Slayers clan training is really strict, just like the broodwar teams. You can see the results: they win GSTL two times and have many players in top8 of the tournaments.

Its all about the training. It has to be really well coordinated not just free laddering and gaming and it has to be at least 8 hours a day and at least 6 days a week. No chilling while practising!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

slayers clan is doing that yes, oGs and the othes are not and i think that's where the bw player was