How to play mods online in Steam

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

How to play mods online in Steam

Post by murdilator »

I have found out, via a friend's advice, that I can make Steam use mods online, and get rated games from them. This is primarily intriguing because the Steam version cannot use the TAD Patch Launcher. Thus, I may have found a way out, that folks with Steam can play vs. Folks without it.

--------------------

This is what mandosrex said:

Posted on 06/15/13 @ 02:05 PM  View Profile Edit Post
murdilator, since I respect you and your work I have a very important advise to give you.

I downloaded this and saw that in the "data" folder you have only ".xml" files and I also saw you had something for Steam so you intend the mod to work with Steam. The problem is that the Steam version of AoE3 is a bit weird, it prefers ".xmb" files over ".xml", so to avoid problems its better to have all files from the "data" folder in both ".xml" and ".xmb" formats. Just convert the same files back to ".xmb" and put them in the download together with the ".xml".

This will ensure 100% compatibility with Steam. I know for sure this is a problem so I wanted you to know.
Good luck with future releases.

--------------------

And from what I've heard, its worked for him on his mod, so it ought to do the same on mine. In the download, I have included the stuff in the patch, 1.3z3e:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... &st=10&ci=

Just think of the possibilities! Think of how AOE3 can be improved!

Also, as a note, the AI has become more aggressive, and builds walls aggressively, 3 layers now, and the 3rd layer often helps your base become more stable.

best of regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521