General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

AdriftCrescent8
Corporal
Corporal

New to AOE3

Post by AdriftCrescent8 »

hi everybody!

I've been playing AOEO so far, but I'm going to buy AOE3 in february..
Can someone help me learning the basics then? I don't mean 1v1, but 3v3/4v4 etc. I'd like to play in teams!

Thank you in advance :)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: New to AOE3

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Hey, I just played some 1v1's today but I'm really rusty. The game is far more slower paced and has less engagements, so strategy is much more important and you have to micro each unit very well.

In teams you will basically make one unit only in age 2 and ship support units while booming heavily, each player of your team takes care of a counter i.e. one makes anti-cav, the other ranged and another makes cav and you have to micro it in cooperation for maximum effectiveness.

Jerom can expand this a bit more :D
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

jerom sucks at team...

Also you never ship units in team unless you are attacking or when you need them. BO is 3v 700w 4v, then normally a shipments of your pick. Then you need to age up again and get 100v before 20mins. Get map control, use walls to block crossing and try and box in the other team

This is for 3v3 randoms, Most of the time people attack around 15- 20mins
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

joe4holly wrote: jerom sucks at team...
Jerom does not appreciate :)

I don't know if I suck at team games, but it's not like I'm super experienced in it either. I just can't make the big desicions and stuff like I should (as im mostly the highest ranked player in the games :D)

Also, I'm looking to write a huge guide for beginners that explains everything you need to know.
Last edited by jerom on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

You own me in 1v1 every time !
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

jerom wrote:Also, I'm looking to write a huge guide for beginners that explains everything you need to know.
Go go Jerom!
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Sporting_Lisbon wrote:
jerom wrote:Also, I'm looking to write a huge guide for beginners that explains everything you need to know.
Go go Jerom!
I'm really busy though, at least so I think.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
AdriftCrescent8
Corporal
Corporal

that would certainly be useful! I played the game a few times, but that was a couple of years ago.. Is it best to buy the expansions as well?
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Yes, the expansions are very good. However, in the expansions, say in The Asian Dynasties, ranged infantry units such as Skirmishers, Cassadors, Longbowmen, etc., have 0.75x penalty against Cavalry units, with a 2.0x multiplier against Ranged Cavalry units - in short, 0.75 times 2.0 = 1.5x total against ranged cavalry units; this means that overall, ranged infantry are less effective in The Asian Dynasties, and Hand Cavalry are more effective. Thus, rush games are moderately balanced, but can be dominated by civilizations like the Japanese, who build shrines near huntable animals to gain extra resources (and in order for you as a non-Japanese player to then shoot those huntables, you must first destroy the shrines; they attract huntables and herdables, giving the Japanese player extra resources for each shrine, the more animals, the higher the resource trickle rate). Thus, supremacy is dominated by a few civs.

If you get both expansions, and find online gameplay hard, I suggest trying out this modification for Age of Empires III, which requires both The Warchiefs and The Asian Dynasties Expansions to play:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=3363

This uses FP1.2 supremacy balance, with added no rush and deathmatch balance, along with boosting underused units, such as Mantlets, fixing game bugs and fixing age-old problems with civilizations like the Iroquois - and also has an improved Computer AI that counters your units, upgrades their own, uses improved decks and sends cards at proper times in the game, sometimes builds walls and upgrades them, and fish booms, if possible. I, as the author of the modification, try my utmost to make the computer play like a human player - and surprisingly, I have attained it moderately. The "overpowered" civilizations have very slight changes, but more or less are the same; the underpowered civilizations, rather, are brought up into realistic playability, without threatening one civilization into becoming too powerful. Also, useless cards are addressed, such as Advanced Artillery, which in this mod researches all of your first artillery upgrades for free (Raubuld, Field Gun, Culverin Royale, Howitzers, Heavy Horse Guns), and upgrades the following Arsenal techs: Gunner's Quandrant, Trunion, and Professional Gunners. Also, cattle shipments and useless politicians are improved, as well as Industrial unit shipments and a few mercenary shipments.

If you have problems playing online, or want a decent practice against a moderately competitive AI, I completely recommend this, as you will not regret it.

If you just want an improved AI, without the mod, here is an earlier uploaded file, which I plan to update and make better in the upcoming future:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=3390

regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I like the expansions better :-)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I'd be up for some games as well i think. Only doing SC2 the last 2 years, but i think AOE3 is still alot of fun :)
AdriftCrescent8
Corporal
Corporal

Is it possible to play 2v2v2v2 or so in AOE3?
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Nope. Just 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 and FFA. You can do 2v2v2 with custom scenarios but they are unranked
MasterDragoon
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by MasterDragoon »

I really wanna play some aoe3, but just cant find my cds to reinstall tha game lol
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

MasterDragoon wrote: I really wanna play some aoe3, but just cant find my cds to reinstall tha game lol
you don't need them, the newest patch allows you to play with any copy. The only thing you need is your cd-key