N3O AoE Trivia

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: N3O AoE Trivia

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Thats kinda the opposite of the answer I'm looking for.

The British never used Guerrilla tactics in the revolutionary war because generally Guerrillas are patriots from the country being attacked lol. However they did supply Spanish and Portuguese Guerrillas with Baker Rifles during the Peninsula War.

Don't trust wiki for everything, the French skirmisher best sharpshooters in Europe? I find that hard to beleive they just had lots of them. That was Frances whole battle tactic to attack En Masse ever since the Revolution. If you look at the equipment Voltigeurs used compared to other nations then you'll have your reasons why they couldn't be great sharpshooters.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well yes, but you know what I mean by Guerrilla tactics -- the British didn't use hit and run tactics, they didn't keep their troops camouflaged or disguised. They wore bright red uniforms and marched in straight formations, preferring to fight large scale battles in open areas with huge lines of musketeers with cannon support. That's a lot different from the whole concept of the skirmisher, which is why the British don't have a skirmisher unit. Instead, they have an archaic Longbow unit which was popular during the late Medieval and Renaissance period.

As for Voltigeur, perhaps they weren't the best in Europe, but they were employed in the French army as advance sharpshooters. They marched ahead of the army and fired at enemies before they came within range. They were meant to be long ranged attackers that never engaged in close combat or even got within range of the enemy.

But I guess I still misunderstood your question, which I'm just now beginning to get. You are asking why the French SHOULDN'T have skirmishers and why the British SHOULD have skirmishers? Your wording is so confusing!

In that case, while there may be some evidence of British selling long range rifles to other countries or employing them in a few battles (which might be a justification), I think it's pretty clear that the French used skirmishers in their armies, whether Voltigeurs or Tirailleurs.

Maybe this is partly what you're thinking of:

From the Wikipedia entry on Skirmishers.

"Napoleonic Wars

During the Napoleonic Wars, skirmishers played a key role in battles, attempting to disrupt the main enemy force by firing into their close-packed ranks, and by preventing enemy skirmishers from doing the same to friendly troops. As the skirmishers generally were spread out and were able to take cover behind trees, houses, and other obstacles, they were harder targets to hit with small arms and artillery fire. The British Army experimented with rifles, muskets being the predominant weapon at the time, which had a far greater range to deadly effect, increasing the effectiveness of the skirmisher in disrupting enemy movements and communication."
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

Ok. I'll have a go. Going back to old skool questions:

What was the main special feature of the viking unique land unit?
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

woa, woa, woa hold your horses there Highlander. You have to get a question correct in order to post a new question....
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

Sorry. I thought it had been answered. I was never any good at reading lots of text :oops:
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Well you got there in the end king. The British Army had a few battalions of Rifle regiments that were very effective and to your earlier comment wore green jackets which kinda helped with camouflage. Maybe something they picked up from the American wars. That and the more obvious answer that the mere idea of Britian fielding large armies of trained Longbowmen that could fight in an Empire that spanned a quarter of the globe is ludicrous, what with it taking a decade or more to train in its use.

It wasn't only the British that used rifles, but also Britain's close ally Portugal, which is why cassies should own. The French however didn't use rifles as the tyrant Napoleon 'I'm overcompensating for my small stature by conquering Europe' Bonaparte believed them to be inferior weapons. Which I think was shown to be false when they were so effectively employed during the Peninsula War both in field battles, sieges and guerrilla warfare. The French skirmishers were merely musketeers trained in the use of the skirmish formation and firing at the very limit of their weapons effectiveness. There-fore the French skirmisher should be a musketeer type unit and at the very least not have CIR. But you know I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to these things. :-P I find it funny the French have the best skirmishers yet they never used rifles unlike other nations.

I'll make it easy for you next time. :D
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, I think the green jacket skirmishers you're thinking of make it into the game in the form of Roger's Rangers that you get with one of the British unique techs. ES put Longbows in the game because the British are far more interesting with them than they would be if they had skirms like most other civs. The longbow is much more distinctive.

Plus, just as it's ridiculous to imagine huge armies of Longbows being used alongside cannons and musketeers, it's absurd to think that huge armies of crossbows would be used as well, although a little less so because of how easy it was to train a chu ko nu / crossbow user. All the archaic archer units like the longbow and the crossbow are in the game because technically AoE3 encompasses the very late medieval and Renaissance period when exploration was just beginning.

On top of that, the British might very well be OP if they could boom as well as they do and have a strong gunpowder skirmisher unit at the same time.

As for the French, they would probably suck if they didn't have skirmishers, so once again -- game balance. Also, I think the idea of the skirmisher unit is that way it is used, not necessarily the weapon it is using , and from what I read it sounds pretty clear that the French DID use skirmishers, even if their skirmishers didn't use the exact same weapons as other nations, like you say.

BTW, Cassies seem like they were designed to own, with the high attack and everything...but ES f*cked up. Heheh.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Which weapon used by at least 2 units in AoE3 actually became much more popularly used by women rather than men starting in the 17th century?
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

I know about the game balance, like i say i was Just being pedantic.

I'm gonna say the Carbine, I can imagine women using them quite often.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Which weapon used by at least 2 units in AoE3 actually became much more popularly used by women rather than men starting in the 17th century?[/quote]

The house 8O (if you consider that a 'weapon'). I know women that use it a lot...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
BashUgood
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by BashUgood »

Rifle...
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Rolling pin? The sight of big woman with rolling pin in her hand will terrorize the armies. :D
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

The Naginata, or the Halberd
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

The Naginata is correct! Starting in the Edo period of Japanese history, the weapon became increasingly used by women instead of men. Even as it lost usefulness in battle after the Japanese came out of isolation, it was practiced as part of martial arts.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

WOOHH YEAH!!
i finally got one right lol
need to htink of a gfood question, will come back soon...