On the Flailiphant and other Indian units

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

What should Flailiphants be like?

Poll runs till Thu Apr 27, 2051 4:46 pm

Make Flailiphants have 350 HP, 5.0 Speed (or 5.25), 16 Attack (32 caption), 3.5x bonus against artillery, and cost 135 food, 135 coin. Bounty increased to 27 (Fair Option)
100%
Make Flailiphants keep their 325 HP, have 0.65 Armor, 5.50 Speed, 14 Attack (28 caption), and cost 135 food, 135 coin. Bounty increased to 27 (Slightly OP and UP).
No votes

Total votes: 1

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

On the Flailiphant and other Indian units

Post by murdilator »

Greetings again. I am pushing for the Flail Elephant unit to be boosted as well, in accordance with a few other unit makeovers.

EDIT: A 5.0 Speed Flail Elephant or 5.25 Speed Flail Elephant is a better option. The 5.0 is tested and fair, but I think 5.25 would be better overall. This is a 5% speed boost from 5.0.

Most of you probably know that Flailiphants have a very low attack output, but for some reason still have 28 caption. Also, their slow speed makes them very hard to use, not mentioning that they have neither a supporting unit or a great defense against their counters.

However, with the change of the Rajput, to at least 75 food, 35 wood, with 185 HP and 5.50 Speed, we have a possible combo. But Flail Elephants will be hopeless if they do not receive increased speed and attack. I will mention to what extent I have balanced them.

I have found that the first option, with 350 HP, 5.25 Speed, 16 Dmg and 135 food & coin is the most balanced. Not only do Flail Elephants have fast speed, but increased attack gives them some value against skirmishers. In other words, it is like sending Oprichnicks fighting skirms, which is not bad at all. A slightly increased HP allows some more resistance, while a slight cost increase balances this unit from spammability. Even 4 of these in Colonial can support 15 Rajputs and 10 Sepoy fairly well. Their main purpose is to draw enemy fire, and to help against skirmishers and buildings. This overall makes the Flailiphant a good unit. They are still vulnerable to Ranged cavalry, as they are Artillery. This cancels out the 50% Range Resistance, allowing Dragoons to kill Flail Elephants in about 6 or 7 hits.

The second option is similar, but Flails have a bit too much resistance against Dragoons and Muskets -- this leads to an OP Flail/Rajput Combo, where it takes ten hits from a Dragoon to kill a Flail Elephant in one volley. This is the main problem with this, but also they are slightly too vulnerable to pikemen. The first option is clearly the best.

From here I will speak of two more units specifically: the Sowar and the Siege Elephant. These will receive minor boosts.

Sowars:

- speed reduced to 7.0

- Professional Handlers makes them -1 pop, and -2 pop for Mansabder Sowars.

- Mansabder Sowar speed reduced to 7.0

Siege Elephants:

- Cost changed to 250 wood, 350 coin (like Howdah, but just wood and coin)

- Population Count reduced to 6

- Armor increased to 0.40

- Speed increased to 4.25 (like Flamethrower)

- Honored Siege Elephant Gives +2.00 Range and LOS to Siege Eles

Mahouts:

- Honored Mahout gives +0.25x bonus to HI

Possible Speculation (just off-topic and not at all necessary):

- Dravidian Martial Arts and TEAM Shivaji's Tactics Switch Places

- Dravidian costs 1000 food

- Dravidian enables Urumi (age 4), but gives Urumi -0.17x bonus against cavalry and +0.5x bonus against Ranged cavalry. This also increases Rajput HP by 15% and Urumi HP by 10%, and still gives all units +15% hand damage.

What do you guys think?

regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521