On the Rajput Unit...and more...

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Balancing and making a fun Rajput unit

Poll runs till Sun Apr 09, 2051 2:07 pm

Make Rajputs have 235 HP, and cost 80 food, 40 wood, with Dravidian Martial Arts card giving 50% armor (to 0.30) and speed 10% boost (to 5.50). (In line with other Indian infantry)
100%
Make Rajputs have 185 HP, cost 65 food, 35 wood, with 30 Train points, and have 0.30 armor and 5.50 speed. (Spammable)
No votes
Make Rajputs have 185 HP, cost 80 food, 40 wood, 30 Train points, with 0.30 armor and 5.50 speed. (fair, but not impressive)
No votes

Total votes: 3

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

On the Rajput Unit...and more...

Post by murdilator »

EDIT: I have playtested this and found what is balanced. I have finalized 75 food, 35 wood Rajputs, with 185 HP and 5.50 Speed. The armor boost makes them a bit OP actually. However, I will let people test out 235 HP Rajputs for fun.

Hi again guys, I'd just like to show some stuff I put in War of the Five Indias and what you think about it. Let's take a poll of what you think.

Apart from India's anti-cavalry units, the Rajput is overpriced and very situational. However, they are incredibly useful, but also need some stats boosts, notably HP, speed, and possibly armor. Their damage output is exceptional, but as they are an Indian lord it would be proper to give them their correct rank on the battlefield.

I am either aiming a supped-up rodelero unit, but that would have to be balanced in cost. In my War of the Five Indias, the Rajputs get the 235 HP Rajput with 5.5 speed and 0.30 armor. Also, for everyone else, they just get a 185 HP Rajput. I have balanced playtested it, and believe that the 235 HP one is a solid unit, letting them cost 80 food, 40 wood. Imagine a Sowar/Rajput combo: having a start with Rajputs gives you a chance to fight the Aztecs or any quick civ decently, and also allows you to not use up all your coin in a prolonged age 2 battle. To complement this, Sowars cost coin and food, while Rajputs cost Food and coin, an extra plus. However, a Gurkha/Rajput combo would be deadly. I have satisfactorially tested this on WarOfTheFiveIndiasTourneyV11, for the Rajput civ, and Rajput units are amazing, especially with Flail elephant support.

The reason I am asking is that I am planning on making a FP 1.3 scenario, on 1v1OntarioV3 and 1v1EasternIndiaV5. In my opinion, FPs made the game balanced, but they took some spice out of it, so I want to keep the balance and give spice into the game again. I want to feature the things in this order:

General Changes
India
Iroquois
Sioux
Aztecs
Japanese
Ottomans
Germans
Spain
Portuguese

Whatever you vote on, I'll attempt to put in. I've already thought of both fun and balancing changes that all of you will definately agree with. Sound good?

regards,

murdilator
Last edited by murdilator on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Poll on the Rajput Unit...and more...

Post by murdilator »

For all of you to see my experience with Balance playtesting and how it will be like, I will show you a scenario I released before Age Sanctuary 1.0 was thought of, before TAD 1.01 was completed:

1v1OntarioV2:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=2213

This is a slightly buggy version of my scenario, but still on the Scenario Design Competition post, I posted 1v1OntarioV3 on the bottom of my post before my comp went down:

http://rts-sanctuary.com/index.php?port ... pic=186268

The changes their are probably 0.50 RR Siege Eles and 135 HP Ashis with 0.10 Hand Resistance.

regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521