Anyone interested in a Multiplayer Scenario Design Tourny?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Anyone interested in a Multiplayer Scenario Design Tourny?

Post by murdilator »

Hello all,

Tscheiger and I are pondering about hosting a scenario design tournament. I myself will not enter as a participant, but may review. However, I will set a standard for what a scenario should look like by myself making one small scenario. I was wondering if we have sufficient people for this.

We probably need at least five amatuer designers and the same number of reviewers. Experienced designers will not be allowed to participate unless giving an example scenario. I don't really want it to be a stark competition, but rather a school of learning of sorts. However, before I do anything, I'd like to have a headcount of those who are interested.

The designers can use my guide extensively or ask me questions about help here on the forum in the scenario design section. Please note that my expertise is in nonlame scenarios and multiplayer maps with regular triggers. In other words I am not familiar with custom triggers or custom editors. My guides can be found either on my signature or in the scenarios section of the N3O forums.

Would anyone be interested? Post here

regards,

murdilator
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Anyone interested in a Multiplayer Scenario Design Tourn

Post by 36drew »

Is this open to all members of the ESO community?

I can't imagine there are enough members of this board to host a design contest, but over ESO there might be.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Im making my own scenario as we speek/ playing sc2.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

I might be interested. ALways wanted to remake some old AoC scenarios
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Sure thing. I agree to opening for the whole community of amatuer designers.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

You could probably host it over at RTS-Sanc if you wanted. I could probably even get Robo to throw in a VIP membership for the winner.
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Hold off on it Zuta, for a bit at least, though that sounds very intriguing. Good that you mentioned prizes. I myself was a bit at a loss about what to do with them. Perhaps dedicating a scenario to someone would work. However, I know one thing is that the winners will get fame across the community. I was thinking that we could get many playtesters if the scenarios are "regular maps," but I surely don't mind single player campaigns and I don't think others mind them either. In fact, they are more fun to create than multiplayer maps.

This needs some more thought into it. I don't want to do anything rash yet, but perhaps start sending things out in two-three weeks. I will be gone till Tuesday most likely, so I'm not sure if I will get the chance to check up on these forums.

However, what I could do though -- which may spark big-time interest -- is if in the meantime I upload my War of the Five Indias V11 (Five-way FFA), host a small competition, and dedicate it the winners of a contest, placed into three tires: PR 0-19, PR 20-31, and PR32+. This could buy some time as well, but I reason that if people see what custom scenarios are capable of, they will be willing to try out for themselves and perhaps try out others.

For this competition I myself will supply the prizes: that I dedicate the scenarios to the winners of the three tires, so like:

"Battle for India - created by murdilator,
Dedicated To:"

(and next line in gold text over the screen:)

"Player1, Player 2, and Player 3, contest winners"

This means that where my scenario goes, their name gets posted with fame. This builds up numerous clans as well.

This competition would be good on either three consecutive weekends or, better still, on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Also, having three times each day would help. In fact, I think I might give a preview of War of the Five Indias V11 and upload it to this website. Note that you must be logged in to download it though.

regards,

murdilator

---------------

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

I am back and I've decided now. I think that I may post on Thursday on RTS-Sanctuary with a four-week deadline for turning in the scenarios. This gives designers time enough to complete what they want. I start school August 14, so I want it before then. In addition, I myself will host a small competition as I described in the above post. I will write it up on RTS-Sanctuary with a two week deadline to join, and the scenario being played preferably on FP for best balance. This is meant to promote the scenario design competition by showing the community what you can do in scenario design, and also, it may promote FP. My War Of The Five Indias will incorporate several small India changes in addition to the five types of India when the fully updated version is uploaded.

Also, for the purposes of multiplayer scenarios, I will upload two small 'single player campaigns' to RTS-Sanctuary, which teach of India: Indian early economy and Indian explorers. These will be excellent examples to those who wish to attempt a small single player scenario. I will, however, have to make or find another 1v1 scenario for a multiplayer example that is not too complex. Indeed I could just upload 1v1OntarioV3, a superb supremacy map. However, in that map, there are many changes in gameplay (nerfs and boosts to units; a balance of the game similar to FP before FP came out).

regards,

murdilator

---------------