Hi, I'm Cleeduz, and I'm a rushaholic...

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Hi, I'm Cleeduz, and I'm a rushaholic...

Post by cleeduz »

So, after taking almost a year off from AOE, I am officially back. I have waited a few weeks to make sure that my addiction, had in fact returned. It has, and so have I. Which leads me to this post.

I love to rush, no matter what civ I am playing, I inadvertantly attempt to rush. I know that for me to get better I need to diversify my game. There should be no reason for me to panic as soon as my opponent hits AgeIII and I hear the boom of cannons. I want that boom to be mine. So, I am asking you guys for a little help, in order to get there.

Right now, I am familiar and can play Iros, India, and Ottos. I know what you are thinking.... BB Rush, 10/10 Agra, and Jan rush lamer, right? No! I play all 3 less lame than that but struggle with each. My Iro playstyle is similar to Sporting's (Harass & Overcome), My India play takes forever to age using the tower and I get overrun, and honestly my Otto is a Janny rush, usually high pressure similar to my Iro play.

Since this is an honest attempt to get more well-rounded, I have decided to play the French. Imo, they are a good all-round civ, and can apply early pressure and boom late game.

Am I on the right track, so far? lol

I will post a few recs tonight, I don't care about PR, so they may be wins or loses, but hopefully you guys can point out my main areas of weakness? I watch a ton of recs and VODs, and understand what I need to do (for the most part) but I do have trouble executing in-game.

Any tips, in the time being, on being a more well-rounded player, are appreciated.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Hi, I'm Cleeduz, and I'm a rushaholic...

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""cleeduz""]

Any tips, in the time being, on being a more well-rounded player, are appreciated.[/quote]

Eat more food, and drink lots of beer. Avoid exercise at all cost! It's hard work but you'll get there! ;)
softondemand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by softondemand »

Nice to see you back^^
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""cleeduz""]

Any tips, in the time being, on being a more well-rounded player, are appreciated.[/quote]

Eat more food, and drink lots of beer. Avoid exercise at all cost! It's hard work but you'll get there! ;)[/quote]

LMAO!!! I actually have the "well-rounded" part down! lol

But, I have stuck to my New Years resolution and am down 35lbs so far.

To rephrase things.... "Any tips for becoming a "better" player are appreciated. lol

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

who is that on the photo? you cleeduz?

don't make the "mistake" and try to diversify just now cleeduz, keep on doing your stuff till you can do it "in your dreams"
i think that can wait until you get the hang of it again.

cool of you taking the time to make a worthwile comeback rather than halfassing it

i am also a rushaholic but i try to rather contain more than making suicide rushes. abit of eco is always good :o
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]who is that on the photo? you cleeduz?

don't make the "mistake" and try to diversify just now cleeduz, keep on doing your stuff till you can do it "in your dreams"
i think that can wait until you get the hang of it again.

cool of you taking the time to make a worthwile comeback rather than halfassing it

i am also a rushaholic but i try to rather contain more than making suicide rushes. abit of eco is always good :o[/quote]

yeah, that is me. (playing a quick round of disc [frisbee] golf recently).

I have abandoned suicide rushes completely, but tend to contain or attempt to contain every game. I rarely hit fortress and spend to much time in colonial, which is why I was hoping to change up my style lately, all attempts for me to become "more boomy" have ended tragically. lol

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

best remedy for rush-o-lisme is build a market asap and do loads of upgrades while shipping crates or vils. :)
TBH, Otto can be very versatile in this patch, no need for a jan rush anymore. Build eco and go jan/hus or jan/abus and you can compete with most civs i guess

gl & hf
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Hahahah I like ur style here cleeduz, unfortuantely I myself am so rusty that I can not but agree with what every1 has stated so far, especially with what Jim said since that is also my modvs operandi

out
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I'm glad you are enjoying AOE again, Cleeduz! I am a former rush addict. I was a frequent abuser between about November 2007 and June 2008. During that time, thousands of strelets and cossacks gave me something like a 63% win pct :D

If you want to rush AND have an eco, the Germans can see you through. Plus they have excellent semi-FF options. And from what I can see in the 1.2 notes, their mercs may well have a renaissance! Still, I haven't played a single game on 1.2 yet... ::/
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Nice to have you back!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""cleeduz""] but I do have trouble executing in-game.

[/quote]

If you can figure out the answer to this, your problems will be solved regardless of whether you are placing aggressive, defensive, going for a fast age, harassing, etc.

Some possible answers might include:
-micro
-macro
-strategy (picking wrong unit combo)
-scouting
-adapting
-use of counter system
-APM (not so important with AOE -- so long as you move at like 100 + apm you are fine)
-civ bouncing (playing 10 diff civs over 10 diff games = not good, I'm at that point right now)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""cleeduz""] but I do have trouble executing in-game.

[/quote]

If you can figure out the answer to this, your problems will be solved regardless of whether you are placing aggressive, defensive, going for a fast age, harassing, etc.

Some possible answers might include:
-micro
-macro
-strategy (picking wrong unit combo)
-scouting
-adapting
-use of counter system
-APM (not so important with AOE -- so long as you move at like 100 + apm you are fine)
-civ bouncing (playing 10 diff civs over 10 diff games = not good, I'm at that point right now)[/quote]

I think you are right, and it is a combination of the things you listed above. I will try and get a rec or two posted soon.

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i thought i would bump this, seeing as this might help you to toy around with your iros.

3 games against the AI by a player called SoldieR
He's showing 3 basic strats: Rush, Military FF and Eco FF

http://forum.toaoclan.net/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=13467

the recorded games are on the RE patch though
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]i thought i would bump this, seeing as this might help you to toy around with your iros.

3 games against the AI by a player called SoldieR
He's showing 3 basic strats: Rush, Military FF and Eco FF

http://forum.toaoclan.net/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=13467

the recorded games are on the RE patch though[/quote]

Thanks bro! I've been playing only French lately, I have a few recs vs. Zuta (but I played horribly, not just a little bad, but HORRIBLY) I think I beat myself and need to relax more, especially when playing high ranked (or in this case, much higher) players.

I will check out that thread and the recs, I love playing Iros, but think I need the "overall" game experience playing a "normal" civ. lol

Thanks for the bump, and the thought, I appreciate it!

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Well, Cleeduz, what you can do if you enjoy playing offensively but want to be a more well-rounded player is to simply raid. It allows you to pester your opponent in the early game (and is fun as hell) while allowing the game to last more than maybe six minutes.

You don't just need cavalry to raid, too. You can raid with skirmishers, crossbows, chu ko nu, anything you want. They work very effectively with hit and run.

Not only does it allow you to put on early pressure while maintaining a balanced game, all high-level players do it to some extent no matter what strategy or civ, so you'll be improving your game at the same time.
Groovy.