Outlaws and Mercenaries.

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Outlaws and Mercenaries.

Post by esam709 »

Both are made in saloon/church, cost gold, very pop expensive.
But what is the difference between outlaws and mercenaries?

I'm pretty sure its a counter system, like with HI and RI etc, but for example, fusilers are HI and jaegers are RI, and if i'm right both are mercenaries.

Outlaws are like pistolero and those guys who look like cowboys, but is there a main difference between them? or is it just a label for certain units?

I can also mention that spies from european church have a bonus against mercenaries, but AFAIK they don't have a bonus agains outlaws.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Outlaws and Mercenaries.

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Afaik mercenaries are better, with outlaws being like an age 2 unit with limited use past the colonial age. Outlaws also work within the counter system though what outlaw counters what isn't as immediately clear.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

outlaws are fixed for each map, mercs are random
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Ok so mercenaries are normal units that have more or less double the stats, the price and the pop.

Jäeger is a good skirm, Highlander is a good musketeer, Hakka is a good uhlan, Ninja is a good spy etc. There are a few exceptions: Fusilier is a some kind of good ashigaru with lower hp and lil more atk than Highlander and 300c cost (albeit having 2 pop) but with 1.5x bonus vs RC. Elmetis are heavy lancers, Iron troops are 0.60 rr archers with 1.5 rof. Notice that Stradiots are double hussars but they have 7.25 speed. Spies have bonus vs all these mercs.

Imo the best mercs you can ship are 6 hakkas, 5 ronins, 9 highlanders, 12 swiss pike, exception made for german mercs that are all good to ship when you use the 20% combat card for mercs.

Saloon priorities are all the cavalry mercs except for manchu and Highlanders and Fusiliers. Highlanders are OP for their cost and Fusiliers are OP for their pop cost but you'll only be able to spam them when backed by whales or sth.

Remember that all the arsenal upgrades affect mercs as well as team cards. Some specific combat cards affect them to, like the Dutch cav one. Have fun with your monsters.

Outlaws are not mercs. They're regular units with cheaper price but with more expensive pop cost.

They are more useful for Gers, Dutch and Brit and I've seen in the past renegado abuse by japs but it's not as strong as it used to be with the old golden pavilion.

Pistoleros were actually better last patch since they lost .5 speed and got +20c in exchange for 1 or 2 pop reduction but they're still an option for Dutch and Gers since they have no musk unit. Pistolero uhlan combo is nice and it makes dutch not have to waste wood on pikes.

Renegados are just candy, I prefer lb's or skirms over them. Gers and Japs can use them tho.

Comancheros are great, with the dance halls card they're only 2 pop. They've 160 hp 30% rr and 16x3 atk. Ranged cav in colonial age is huge and they'll be seen rather often. I think they're 4 pop atm.

Pirates are dutch's saloon option for pikes. Pre-patch they were a bit meh because I couldn't have more than around 20 pirates in colonial cause they were 5 pop each, I suppose they're better now.

Wokou ronins are good, 200c and 2 pop, 400 hp .30 melee resistance and 25 atk. In cover mode they're tanks.
edit: WR are now 150c, 3 pop, 300 hp 4.5 speed .30 mr and 20 atk x2 vs cav. After card they're 1 pop. OP, check recorded game section.

Wokou cav archers are a bit meh, dunno how they're this patch. They're colonial age cav archers. Comancheros are better since they can hit n run and have no setup time for firing. Still, they have nice damage output since they've 1.5 rof.

Haven't tested the rest, these are the ones you'll find in competitive maps.
Last edited by Sporting_Lisbon on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Wow, Ive learnt alot by ur post here Sporting. Ty 4 ur input on this matter.

Tbh mercs, 4 me, have always been civ dependent; in the sense that only when I play Germs, Dutch or other gold heavy civs do I ever bother wondering what the saloon has in store 4 us.

Hakkas are indeed my fav merc unit....NOTHING is more devastating than running 6 hakkas in 3-4 mill heavy vill paradise.

out
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

you forgot to mention that fusiler have a ranged attack bonus vs cav ( x1.5 )

best musketeer unit until age 5
- Dan
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

[quote=""LaZy""]

Hakkas are indeed my fav merc unit....NOTHING is more devastating than running 6 hakkas in 3-4 mill heavy vill paradise.

out[/quote]

you havent seen my dutch lil bombard mass :D even culvs have a hard time taking them out
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]you forgot to mention that fusiler have a ranged attack bonus vs cav ( x1.5 )

best musketeer unit until age 5[/quote]

no sporting didn't forget that, he mentioned it. 8)

and you! FFS come to ESO! :-P

[quote=""NitroZ""]
you havent seen my dutch lil bombard mass :D even culvs have a hard time taking them out[/quote]
your dutch 8 bank semiff is teh bezt =)
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Swizz pike ftw, hit age 3 ship swiss pike make a few falcs and its all groovy baby! 8)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]Swizz pike ftw, hit age 3 ship swiss pike make a few falcs and its all groovy baby! 8)[/quote]

ninjas will pwn that :twisted:

j/k, swiss pikeys are really good, prob need to cost 20 coin more.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

More or less, outlaws use population as part of there cost, where as mercenaries are just more expensive units.

The idea that ES had with outlaws was that they would be good units to make to quickly replenish your army after losing a fight.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""NitroZ""][quote=""LaZy""]

out[/quote]

you havent seen my dutch lil bombard mass :D even culvs have a hard time taking them out[/quote]

If u can raid vills with ur lil bombards then I congratulate u. As far as total devastation goes, yes, lil bombs really do make a diference.

out
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

[quote=""LaZy""][quote=""NitroZ""][quote=""LaZy""]

out[/quote]

If u can raid vills with ur lil bombards then I congratulate u. As far as total devastation goes, yes, lil bombs really do make a diference.

out[/quote]

I actually have raided vills with lil bomards. but theres only so many vills u can kill before they outrun the bombards :(
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Does anybody know or have a list of what maps have what outlaws?

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Lil bombards are sick. They don't have a negative multiplier vs cav or ranged cav. I've literally witnessed a lil bombard kill 16 ruyter in one hit. I watched the rec twice to confirm.