AoE4

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Drag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AoE4

Post by Drag »

With agesanc down indefinitely, and with the SC2 Beta now widely released, I think it would be nice to have a discussion about what everybody is expecting from AoE4?

For me, I would like to see a harder counter system introduced, as well with more tactical awareness needed (covering chokes, high ground etc). Also I would like to see the introduction of support units like in SC (High Templars, Defilers etc). And finally I'd prefer less civs, but with more individuality between civs. I don't really care about the time period as long as it's something historical, I'd be fine with any of the time periods in any of the 3 games so far.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: AoE4

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i talked to robo recently and he said he's working hard to get it back up. i guess within the next 7-10 days it should be back.

what i expect from an aoe4 is that it is either medieval age or stone age, should be pretty similar but with a greatly reduced card system, and lots of non-military buildings to make the economy part of the game more interesting. a good mix would be aoe3 and anno :-)
if the elemnts of both games would merge you would have a really fun and diverse game
Jero12345
Captain
Captain

Post by Jero12345 »

If its is even good as this one it is gonna be very much fun to play it^^ i have no idea what they gonna do and we see it more surprise more fun^^
rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rambo098 »

I think a remake of aoe1 whould be really cool. But, to be honest i think they will make some sort of ww1 or ww2 game...
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Drag""]With agesanc down indefinitely, and with the SC2 Beta now widely released, I think it would be nice to have a discussion about what everybody is expecting from AoE4?

For me, I would like to see a harder counter system introduced, as well with more tactical awareness needed (covering chokes, high ground etc). Also I would like to see the introduction of support units like in SC (High Templars, Defilers etc). And finally I'd prefer less civs, but with more individuality between civs. I don't really care about the time period as long as it's something historical, I'd be fine with any of the time periods in any of the 3 games so far.[/quote]

Agreed with everything except a harder counter system. The counter system is pretty damn strong, just a few things that don't obey it (but that's because of bad balance, not a bad counter system).
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

They should defenitly keep the Home city part, which gives aoe3 more strategical depth. The counter system is also good, however i think making some sort of WW1/WW2 isn't very cool. They can better make something like a remake of aoe1/aoe2 with the home city part
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""36drew""]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RGA6c2m2YCU/S ... 5B1%5D.jpg

Then you might be dissapointed. ^^[/quote]

If they keep the HC part it will be ok, they just have to keep the strategical depth :D
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

rofl drew! that pic is old and was just for fun. it has nothing to do with the real aoe4 :-P
Drag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Drag »

Ok, then I really think that there needs to be much better balance. Something else I forgot to add is that I would like to see a faster paced game, and a more exciting game. Watching a game of AoE from a nonplayers point of view is very boring I think, for the first 6 minutes or so very little happens. And competitive game play now shows how little room for creativeness there is. All ins don't work, ff's are almost dead, and I think the China FF will die in 1.2. The game is not a 'spectator sport' and that's something I'd really like to see in AoE 4
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

aoe wasn't mean to be competitive.
sc is, blizzard even said so numerous.

i seriously don't really care about another aoe anymore, until it will be out i'll be playing sc & battlefield bad compayný 2 anyway.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I hope the next "Age-esque" game will be:

Something set pre-Dark Ages.

Something with more competitive balance than previous Age games.

Something that doesn't sacrifice economic complexity to make the game faster-paced.

Something that follows more of an AoM model than an AoK model with regard to race / civ diversity.

Something with really good online / community support.

Something that brings a new element to the RTS landscape - perhaps an element of user customization.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I'll wait for AoE4. I tried SC some month ago and it's just too boring for me. Competitiveness might be good for players who can be competitive, which i can't, so some other stuff is more important for me.

I actually don't care in what century the game would be located. I'd like to see a remake of AoE1 and i also would like to see something around WW1.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I agree entirely with Huggy on this. a) it only makes sense 2 keep heading forward cronologically and b) if we look back AoE was a revolution in the RTS world just as AoK took the concept 1 step further. AoEIII was yet another important improvement, not only on the franchise itself but also towards the RTS genre.

Old school guys, like myself, want/ need the franchise 2 continue in the same manner that has brought us what we currently have. If a remake were 2 b made then pls pls pls do NOT call it AoE. It simply wouldnt make sense. Dont get me wrong, a remake would definately b welcomed since this is the genre that I most enjoy, BUT do NOT associate it 2 the franchise name. Call it AoRemake or AoNostalgia or whatever but not AoE!

AoE4 will happen. AoE4 will b a huge success. Its as certain as the S25 being held in Portugal this year. Its as certain as N3O being the single most OP clan out there!

out
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

So as not to hijack any other threads, more than I already have....

Has anyone else squinted so hard to read this dude's post-it notes that they have given themselves a migraine? Just me? lol

"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin