Most overrated civ?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Most overrated civ?

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

in contrary to 36drews thread, my altered version of it.

which are the most overrated civs in your opinion?

by overrated i mean, a civ which is said (by different people)to be stronger than it really is. like when player A says civ B is soo strong, and in reality, that civ is under par :-P

on RE Patch, i don't get the fuzz about aztec i think people think of them as stronger as they are in reality, they are nasty at times

second is japan, not that strong as they are spoken of, not that easy to use them right

on FP
ports, while they have great abilities, their units overall are nothing special
dutch: strong , but not as strong as people make them :-P
china: i never found them really good either, definitly not top tier as some people say

so say your opinions :D

edit generalmichael: i didn't say ports are weak lol they are strong imo, just not what they're cracked to be

plz no discussion about civs strength etc. just state which of them are overrated, according to your experience!! ;)
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Most overrated civ?

Post by huGGy »

Well i think it depends on what experiences you made playing vs them. I totally hate facing China. My overall record must be something like 5-50 or so (at least it feels like it). Aztecs are pretty beatable.

Dutch on FP are ok. Just those Ruyters are evil.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I have not heard that china is that strong on either patch, for me they seem very weak. Aztecs, I believe you guys have not seen enough of the terrors they can cause, on fp though they are toned down, but on re they can boom easily if they have 10 wp on the fire pit and do fertility dance = 1 vil every 3 seconds out of tc, 8O or just xp dance helps them get a lot of shipments and war dance is helpful, maces are evil vs hi, though they fall to light infantry, but coyotes, once they go stealthy they are good for raiding or popping up right next to cannons and killing them before the cannons get off a shot, and then late game the stealth allows them to pop up right next to the mass of skirms or whatever light infantry the civ is using and maul it. I'm still afraid of mac's maces, they seem to be invincible.
Japan still seems to me to be one of the stronger civs even with thier ashi's nerfed a little they still are pretty op to me, also japan has a nice eco and the daiyamos are evil with by giving an extra attack boost to nearby units and are basically mobile barracks that can fight.
Dutch are strong late game, only way to beat them seems to be early game, though I can never rush them fast enought to win.
Ports though on fp I do agree are pretty weak, though I never see anyone using them on fp or on re, so I don't think anybody really thinks they are that great.

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I'm not sure I think that any civs are overrated other than dutch on the FP. The reason I say this is the following; although dutch are generally regarded as the number one civ, the gap between them and other civs close to them is not that big. France and britian are highly competitive vs. the dutch and even japan and india fare well in the match.

If you look at Japan in the last WCG tourney, it is quite evident that the gap between Japan and every other civ (excecpt india) was just massive.
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

China is overrated imo, I agree.

Ports are fruiting underrated not overrated :P

And don't forget sioux on RE.

Br really is no good unit at all against RI, and only DECENT against HI.

So they aren't as OP as ppl might think.
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

br are still better for raiding then most goon/cav archer units and i would prefer them to every meele anticav early on
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""GeneralMichael""]
Ports though on fp I do agree are pretty weak, though I never see anyone using them on fp or on re, so I don't think anybody really thinks they are that great.[/quote]

Just wait for Gomezd's tournament recs ;).
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""gendarme""]China is overrated imo, I agree.

Ports are fruiting underrated not overrated :P

And don't forget sioux on RE.

Br really is no good unit at all against RI, and only DECENT against HI.

So they aren't as OP as ppl might think.[/quote]

BR shouldn't be good against RI. RC in general should not be good against RI.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Dutch Fort is strong, but thats about it tbh, survive that and if you play your cards right you will come out better off. a bit overrated but still #1 on fp

China IMO is not overrated but underrated, sure they have a few weaknesses, but having the ability to be strong in colonial, as well as easily spammable fortress units, a stable economy, and late game old han reforms, 220 mil pop and ability to have 120 vils makes them a late game Powerhouse.

Ports are Nice on the fp tbh Just a tad 'weaker' than france.

i think spain are in the same boat as ports tbh, a few advantages over france, but france is just better, especially now they got that unneeded 5% shipment.

all i know is that dutch/france are the two single most strongest civs in the FP atm.

And as for aztec on RE yes they are OP i dont think they are overrated, But they arent as OP as say -
#1 - India
#2 - Iro
#3 - Japan
#4 - Aztec
thats my opinion with say top tier civs on RE, ofc japs would be #1 or #2 in 3v3 + for economy reasons.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

whats aggravating about the BR is its high base attack with fast RoF combined with chief aura , cetan sucking doesnt really matter because a BR is all that much faster , tougher , and can really fight just about anything in suffecient numbers = broken unit

its a reason why i dislike team games with sioux : either need 1 sioux per team or no sioux at all

[quote=""Tubruk""]france is just better, especially now they got that unneeded 5% shipment.

[/quote]

i completely 1,000 % agree
- Dan
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Tubruk""]Dutch Fort is strong, but thats about it tbh, survive that and if you play your cards right you will come out better off. a bit overrated but still #1 on fp

China IMO is not overrated but underrated, sure they have a few weaknesses, but having the ability to be strong in colonial, as well as easily spammable fortress units, a stable economy, and late game old han reforms, 220 mil pop and ability to have 120 vils makes them a late game Powerhouse.

Ports are Nice on the fp tbh Just a tad 'weaker' than france.

i think spain are in the same boat as ports tbh, a few advantages over france, but france is just better, especially now they got that unneeded 5% shipment.

all i know is that dutch/france are the two single most strongest civs in the FP atm.

And as for aztec on RE yes they are OP i dont think they are overrated, But they arent as OP as say -
#1 - India
#2 - Iro
#3 - Japan
#4 - Aztec
thats my opinion with say top tier civs on RE, ofc japs would be #1 or #2 in 3v3 + for economy reasons.[/quote]

Good post IMO. Agree in full.