Hotkey Questions

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Hotkey Questions

Post by wicked_assassin »

A topic to ask qeustions you almost don't dare to ask.

- Is their a way to sett up a hotkey for stagger mode, etc..
- I have seen treaty players putting many horses in 1 little box so it's easy to pathfind. how do they do that? exacly... and is it possible to pull this off in vanilla?
- difference between alt and attack move or is this a vanilla thing?
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Re: the possible idiotic, noobish qeustion topic

Post by NitroZ »

how do i make control groups? ive been playing this game since it came out and i still dont know how to make them.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Ok wicked
#1 -yes there is i rhink its under unit commands
#2-iirc thats when a ranged cav unit is put into defend mode when grouped with melle cav in standard stagger mode
#3-iirc alt is the standard key for attack move on nilla so i dont think so

Nitro if thats a serious question then shame on you, but really shame on you.
Select all the units you want in a control group, then press and hold "ctrl" and the number u want to assign to the group, e.g. Ctrl + 1
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

ive tried that several time in the past it doesnt work for me. i even checked the hotkeys and it says exactly what you told me. :(

been playing this long without control groups. so i guess i can do it for the rest of my life :D
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

tubruk explained it very well

alt attack and attack move are basically the same, the only difference between them is that when you alt attack, it doesn't matter where your mouse pointed at that time, it just does attack move right at the spot.

with attack move (standard is z button, i put it on f), you pick a spot where you want your units to walk to, and then it will attack the enemy unit if it meets one on its way; it will always engage the closeset enemy

Alt attack: Hold ALT, rightclick
Attack Move: Z button(or f in my case) and leftclick
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I always thought it's the same!? I only use alt ^^
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

basically it is. but i prefer z(f) button because alt doesn't react well when there is lag. all keys like alt, shift, etc. have their problems then, because they are different from keys such as a b k m or such

For normal keys:
Key Down
Key Press
Key Up

For Alt:
Key Down
Key Up

for example you have to hold shift until the lag is over, otherwise it won't registrate cuz there is no keypress/keryregistrate for it :P
or you just say screw it and wait until the game goes on

i know this from visual basic which i some did years ago
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

the little box is with 49( for a group of 50 units) horses and 1 goon, put all on defend mode
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Don't forget shift-attack. I like this when I have an anti-cav unit chasing raiders. Assign them to kill one while holding shift, then click the second, third, fourth and so on, then release shift. Then you can take your eye off them and know they will keep chasing them all until they're dead (or you die first ;) ).

I'ts handy for LB's, too, since they stay put and just choose a new target after killing the one you originally clicked.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

about alt and x: i saw yesterday on vanilla dmers having a discussion about it. And i was a bid confused.

i looked it up and apperently: x patrols to the right clicked location. alt just attacks closest unit.

is this right.
Last edited by wicked_assassin on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]basically it is. but i prefer z(f) button because alt doesn't react well when there is lag. all keys like alt, shift, etc. have their problems then, because they are different from keys such as a b k m or such
[/quote]

Not to mention those keys run the added risk of hittting the dreaded "Windows" key by mistake.
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

[quote=""RascalJones""]Not to mention those keys run the added risk of hittting the dreaded "Windows" key by mistake.[/quote]

Oh I hate when that happens. When it does, for some reason the game also sets the sound volume to its maximum, anyone else where the same thing occurs?
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Lost_my_hope""][quote=""RascalJones""]Not to mention those keys run the added risk of hittting the dreaded "Windows" key by mistake.[/quote]

Oh I hate when that happens. When it does, for some reason the game also sets the sound volume to its maximum, anyone else where the same thing occurs?[/quote]

Yes, here *fingersnip*
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""RascalJones""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]basically it is. but i prefer z(f) button because alt doesn't react well when there is lag. all keys like alt, shift, etc. have their problems then, because they are different from keys such as a b k m or such
[/quote]

Not to mention those keys run the added risk of hittting the dreaded "Windows" key by mistake.[/quote]

the dreaded key haha :D
i got logitech G11 keyboard where i can switch a button and it is automatically disabled.
there is also some free tools in the net which can disable the button if you like, and enable it later when you're done with your gaming session :-P