I Dreamed of AOE 3

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I Dreamed of AOE 3

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Or was it a nightmare? I can't really remember.

This weekend I went on a family trip for my cousin's wedding in St. Louis, Missouri. I think the place weirded me out; I don't usually leave major cities in the North, and St. Louis is neither a major city, nor is it in the North.

I haven't played AOE lately, but listen closely to the this story. It shows how this game can crawl into your mind... even when you're sleeping, and even if you haven't played in a while!

I took a nap on Saturday afternoon. AOE ventured into my sleeping mind. It was Siberia. I was playing German. I herded two hunts. I aged on time. Then I had 14 xbows, 4 uhlans and 5 pikes. You know, the key early game force; if you don't win the first fight, you're in trouble. I don't remember who opposed me; it was another xbow civ, and he had some cav and pikes, too. So it was bound to be a micro-fest. I was worried I would misclick or hit cover mode two seconds late.

Somewhere on the frozen river, our forces collided. My heart jumped. I struggled to micro my pikes into cover mode. I lurched to put my uhlans on his incoming hussars. I clicked what seemed 100 times in a millisecond, but my xbows weren't doing what they were supposed to! They weren't killing the pikes fast enough! I remember thinking: "Why are my xbows not doing what I tell them! Oh no, they are dying and my pikes are in the wrong place; plus they are in cover mode and they aren't doing enough damage to the cav." My pikes died. So did his. But then the last uhlan died to xbows. He had two 100 HP hussars left, plus a couple more xbows. My army was doomed, along with the 5 xbow batch on its way...

Then I woke up!

I obviously have some subconscious micro issues! I don't what it is about early game skirmishes, but they make me nervous.

Isn't it amazing how much we think about this game? Even when I take a break from it, the game has deeply ingrained itself in my mind. I mean, I was microing IN MY SLEEP, and even checking the minimap and creating control groups.

In short, this is more than a game. It is a CRAFT!

See you all soon, guys! Sorry I didn't post this weekend. I'm back home now and all is well.
Last edited by Kaiser_von_Nuben on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: I Dreamed of AOE 3

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

MEDIC!!!!! ;)

I think I had similar dreams too, just dont tell the miss about it
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

you know its gonna be a long night when u wake up in a panic cause you can't remember whether or not you teched great coat :P
- Dan
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I've actually only dreamed of AOE maybe 2-3 times. Next time I do I will be sure to post up a detailed visual like you have though.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ Im sure some1 of ur stature would be able 2 FRAP ur AoE dream :)

out
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

I've had an AoE dream once, I was like getting rank super fast.

Won all games, first game I beat grunt ^^ Second game NP after a while I was above pr one million xD

And then it went on, and on, and on...until I woke up and damnit, it was just a dream, I still suck.
rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rambo098 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I was microing IN MY SLEEP[/quote]

OP...
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

[quote=""LaZy""]^^ Im sure some1 of ur stature would be able 2 FRAP ur AoE dream :)

out[/quote]
And commentate ^^
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I don't know what it is about xbow/pike micro. It has been the toughest thing for me to master in this game. Add in cav and I feel like I have ten hands :D

Muskets are a breeze by comparison. Just spam and AVAUNCE !!!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I don't know what it is about xbow/pike micro. It has been the toughest thing for me to master in this game. Add in cav and I feel like I have ten hands :D

Muskets are a breeze by comparison. Just spam and AVAUNCE !!![/quote]
I feel the same way Kaiser. It feels like the pikes are always at the wrong place
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

when i saw the topic and and the author, i knew the descriiption would be topnotch

hm, someone once said dreams are thoughts which weren't thought to the end

so you not having played for a while perfectly fits into this phenomenon :)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Ok it sounds like you are about to master the game if you can micro in your sleep, or you are about one or two steps away from dreaming about the s25. I would like to see a frap of your s25 dream when you have it kasier. :D