Why Doesn't Anyone Play German Anymore?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Why Doesn't Anyone Play German Anymore?

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

As you all know, I am a record game fanatic. I might not get on ESO as much as I did in '08 and early this year, but I still watch games almost every night from Age Sanc and from our vaults here at N3O. All I can say is that I don't see many German recs anymore. In fact, it seems that the French have gotten a lot more popular than they were before the patch.

What explains this? Are people just tired of the Germans? In 1.1 TAD, they were pretty popular; some people even called them lame. Now, it seems they have disappeared completely. That doesn't bother me. I will always play them. But I just wonder why people just gave up on them after 1.1a FP. Anyone have ideas about why this happened? And what makes the French so great now?
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Why Doesn't Anyone Play German Anymore?

Post by deadhanddan »

many people play germans, actually more germans then france in sum non clan games i play. all depends really , most players dont record games enough i agree.
- Dan
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

For me I have gotten pretty bad with germans lately since I had been focussing on getting good with brits and civs that I struggled with. Also whenever I play as germans or any civ where I go cav, the other team always is going double muskets or something similar, which forces me to go ligh infantry or the other team will overwhelm mine

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i got a rec for ya kaiser , it isnt a good quality german rec on my part , lag made me do very strange things , but hackapell do make an appearance :-P
- Dan
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i made the same observations as deadhanddan, joe4holly and blackadder play german every now and then i guess

hey kaiser, i uploaded one 2v2 few days ago, i still have one which i could upload too
it's pretty short and a nice rush on russia and brits 8)

edit: it's posted in TAD Recorded Games
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I play germany on nilla,dont know why I dont play them on TAD
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

Well 35% of my games is with german (and 28% with sioux, I like to raid :) )
What makes them worse in fp is that they don't get the uhlan with 3 settler wagons and that french got a shipment boost. German slower shipment and french faster, I know what I like more.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I play either the Germans or French exclusively in 1v1, either FP or non-FP.

I just like their gameplay style, and if some other people can't see the light, Kaiser, it's their loss. ;)
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hold on, German shipments are slower than before? And French are faster? What are the precise stats on this?
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

Not slower then before, but german shipments are 7% slower then regular civs (I believe 7 but could be some more or less). French on other hand 5% faster (again could be bit more or less)
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

Hmmm, Germans are still my favorite civ. I've played some French too, and all I can say is Germans are the perfect counter. French get vills with range resist, Germans get uhlans. French get cuir, Germans get WW (rare rc with hand resist). French use natives well, Germans use mercs well. If one civ was made to beat another, I think ES did that here.
I played a fun 2v2 as germans on deccan the other day. I went for my saloon/merc/dopp deck. Gotta love it when you get dacoit, thughee, highlander/mamaluke at the saloon. +30%'d massed highlanders are pretty OP, especially when they have uhlans, stradiots, hackapells and mams to deal with ranged inf. Germans FTW.
Re: the xp thing, that is a pain, but I think Germans benefit greatly from the cheaper (200 wood) TP's, and wanting to be on even ground, I always try to grab a TP or two early now with Germans. Its also a great way to further justify palatine settlements: I don't get house build xp, and I'm saving all this wood, so...TP's!
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

I have played most of my 1v1 games with Germans and very rarely saw a German opponent. However, in team games they are very common from my experience. Uhlans are just so cheap and good :D
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

[quote=""lordandcount""]Not slower then before, but german shipments are 7% slower then regular civs (I believe 7 but could be some more or less). French on other hand 5% faster (again could be bit more or less)[/quote]

Germans' shipments are 10% slower, Indians' shipments are 8% slower, French' are 5% faster and Spanish' are 25% faster. I'm only not 100% sure on the spanish ones.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

wait for a second guys, there are two tihng which are confusing me

a) how fast you get xp
b) how fast the shipment arrives

so the "how fast xp i get" is not given in any civ, but spain?? and japan with their torii gates for example

i thought it took longer till german gets the shipment, not the time till it arrives!!! gfurthermore i thought french shipments arrives 5%faster and not that they get their shipment sooner

argh
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]wait for a second guys, there are two tihng which are confusing me

a) how fast you get xp
b) how fast the shipment arrives

so the "how fast xp i get" is not given in any civ, but spain?? and japan with their torii gates for example

i thought it took longer till german gets the shipment, not the time till it arrives!!! gfurthermore i thought french shipments arrives 5%faster and not that they get their shipment sooner

argh[/quote]
Ok, IIRC, no civ gets xp faster than another (exceptions:tori gates, india livestock, trading posts on xp, etc) but the different civs get their shipments at different intervals of xp, ie, spanish get a shipment after a smaller amount of xp. Germans need the greatest amount of xp before they get their first. Also I think you are right in that French do not get shipments sooner, but the shipments arrive faster once sent.
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]