Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Favorite unit and why?

Post by Lost_my_hope »

hahahaha kaiser, nice post. Some very true statements there. :D
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

Fav cav:
Uhlan-easily massable, high attack, lots of good upgrades
Spahi-area attack, high hp, auto-heal
Yabusame-like a culverin on a horse once carded

Fav inf:
Skirms- awesome range, high attack, hit and run
Yumi-good range, good upgrades available early, looks cool

Fav mercs:
Hackapells- brutal but delicate raiders
Jaegers- uber-skirms, what's not to like?

Fav natives:
Rattan Shields-cav like inf, very fast, very cool looking
War Elephants-big slow cav with area attack, great meatshield
Chakram-not great until fully upgraded, but then they are like abus, and make a cool wobbling noise
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

^^ I got sig'ed. OP

Favorite unit - The Oprichnik. Fast, lethal, game-changing. Nothing like concentrating on a battle to realize that 20 OP's have broken through your 800 layers of walls and downed your two factories and have slaughtered 20 or so villies as you type gg... :)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

I like a lot of units, but I'm going with the Falc. This is probably the most decisive unit in terms of the number of games it has turned in the least amount of time. How many well-contested matches have been ended by a few falcs popping up and mowing down about 15 skirms/lbows/you-name-it, turning the battle and ultimately the game? First guy to engage his falcs on the enemy army wins, and there is a 2 Falc card that many civs have just for this.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""36drew""]^^ You play SC KK? I wouldn't mind reinstalling it to get a match or two in! It could be fun![/quote]

Yeah, that'd be cool.

I'm currently playing a lot of BGH on USEast as screenname BlameItOnCain.

I'm not that great at Starcraft, especially not 1v1 melee games etc but if you haven't played in a while it'd probably be fun since neither of us are fully versed on the build orders and maps and matchup strategies etc.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]I like a lot of units, but I'm going with the Falc. This is probably the most decisive unit in terms of the number of games it has turned in the least amount of time. How many well-contested matches have been ended by a few falcs popping up and mowing down about 15 skirms/lbows/you-name-it, turning the battle and ultimately the game? First guy to engage his falcs on the enemy army wins, and there is a 2 Falc card that many civs have just for this.[/quote]

Yeah, whatever RTS game the ES-sprouts create next, I hope they don't include units like the Falconet. I don't like the fact that they were so important and 2 units could decide a game.

The ES-sprouts should look back to Age of Kings as the kind of RTS they should make, although AoK had too many civs and too many different units.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

[quote=""Lost_my_hope""]The Jäger. Skirmisher with a santa hat, what could be cooler?[/quote]The jaeger reminds me of AoK janissaries :P
Last edited by gendarme on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Lost_my_hope""]The Jäger. Skirmisher with a santa hat, what could be cooler?[/quote]

Ha ha, that's great. Jaegers are definitely my favorite mercs. I used to build while strats around them back in TWC times.

But when it comes to all-time favorite units, did you really have to ask? I think you all know the answer to that question from my perspective :

U H L A N S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !!! !!! ! !!

I mean, can you really not fall in love with those slightly-whiny czapka-wearing Prussian mounted warriors who can shred vils, LBs, strels and even hussars for a mere 100 gold and 50 food? How can you not fall in love with dual rax spams supported by market upgrades and free ones coming in from your shipments? If ever a unit made me love a whole game, it has been the uhlan. I am not married, but uhlans are definitely in the running for my heart 8)

I have only two things to say: "Auftrag? IN DEN KAMPF !!!"

Second favorite: Skirms. I love these long-ranged devils, whether they're Dutch or German. You can tell how much I love them by checking out my Custom game stats... I've trained over 10000 of these sharpshootin' fellas.

Third favorite: MUSKETS!!! Muskets can do it all; I don't care what they say. Wanna go toe-to-toe with my musket spam with xbows? Bring it on!! COMMANDEMENT !!!!! (Taunt 155)

Now I've gone and gotten myself all excited... who started this ? 8) 8)[/quote]Taunt 19
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Crossbows.

Of of the most underrated units in the game. Easy to mass, and deadly in small numbers or en masse.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Nice points about the falconet, Indy. It is so true that the first man to artillery usually wins; I don't know whether that is a game flaw or whether it was even intentional (a "trump card"?). I think ES recognized that protected artillery (ie, with muskets, pikes, dragoons, etc...) could defeat anything. That's why they made culverins. But it is true that by the time you manage to pump out some culverins to stop the falcs, most of your army is gone, and you just spent 500 resources on a unit that can do no damage at all to anything BUT falcs.

Still, if you can correctly anticipate when falcs will show up, pull back and have a culv or two waiting, you can pack a nasty surprise. I did this to poor Al a few days ago... he was Dutch and in mid-fortress... I knew it was just a matter of time before 4-5 falcs showed up, so I built 3 culverins. I have also done this as Germans when fighting the Spanish FF, too. I just get the heck outta dodge the minute he hits fortress, retreat, hit fortress myself and get a culverin. That unhinges the Spanish 2 falc/rod/lancer juggernaut.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

Very true, guarded falconets are a game winner sometimes but the key is to not engage in battle before you can counter them. If he has a crowd of pikes to guard them, only other artillery will work, since hand cav won't be able to reach them and dragoons' ranged attacks suck vs artillery.
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Yeah falconets are nice, thought you have to really watch out for japan and thier evil flaming arrows. Those things are just a great merge of a falconet and a culverine. I was the dutch and my team was mowing down the enemy because i had 9 falconets(was just a little to late to get the lastt 100 wood for the 5th falconet in the first batch) and i had about 50 ryuters and my british ally had been making a lot of muskets. So the french guy was having a hard time hitting them with his currasiers. Though as we started taking down thier fb I noticed a castle. I targeted that first but right as it fell 4 flaming arrows came out of a second one just a little behind the first castle. They just dropped the falcs down to 3 all with some damage and then the enemy set all of his muskets to melee and meleed the cannons to death since at that point my allies guys were scattered and the currasiers had just barely gotten my ryuters down to 5.

etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

I never seem to use culvs, or falcs much for that matter, but they really are some very important units in this game im finding
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i luv culverins as spain with unction , transforms them into light cannons :-P ( no joke )
- Dan