Aoe3 nostalgia

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Aoe3 nostalgia

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I am a relative newcomer, too. I started to play about 2 months before TAD came out. Back then, I only played Germans, and boy were they awful. I used to always FF and go for Jaegers/mercs, thinking they could beat anything. Of course, I wouldn't have a military until 9:00, and in my first rated 1v1 I did Jaegers against hussars, and somehow won because my opponent was an utter noob, too. I didn't become an uhlan freak until the first TAD patch (March 2008, as I recall).

I wish I was around when the game first came out. I hear the Germans had some unbeatable cards and strats before the nerf hammer obliterated them in TWC (only 3.9% of games played involved Germans in late 2007). That said, I think the Germans are still pretty damn good in vanilla... in fact, I have not lost a 1v1 with them over there. But I only started playing over there once I learned the game pretty well.

Funny isn't it? This game not only has a culture; it also has a rich and multi-layered history! It's been through so many revisions. N3O says it all... "Never 3ver Old."
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

To give you an idea, you could win games as germans without having to queue units from a barracks or stable! Shipment spam ftw
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]

N3O says it all... "Never 3ver Old."[/quote] haha i'm sig'n that ;)
- Dan
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i started to play very late too lol, so not much of nostalgia.

i started playing on ESO right after i got the game(vanilla and twc in the gold edition), i never saw single player, i just got the game to have nice online battles.
even though my ESO account was created on 19th february 2008, i created the account and logged off, i changed my password on the eso account tool and messed things up, so i couldn't play online for like 3-4weeks until Lethe finally send me an e-mail :-)

the nostalgia i had back then(i played like few weeks on vanilla until i finally started TAD) was the french vs russia matchup, i knew i'd get my opponent by simply getting fortress after a little colonial agenda and tanking cdbs, i loved falcs and cuirs didn't know about a counter system and such.

i played civs for several weeks(french to begin with, some otto, alot of russia, alot of china on TAD), found agesanc, but didn't read it, i even found the N3o Clan site somewhere back in august and was surfing it, i wouldn't think i'd join this clan haha until deadhanddan told me he was in and l&c asking me to come here towards the end of november 2008

so i'm like 1/2 year in this clan
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

To give a good example of how long I have been playing, I was once in the top 6 players in the world for most wins with British...
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I'm not sure about you guys, but when I first started playing I was very nervous and 'feared the fog' for want of a better term. Only way I can explain it is I expected my opponent's soldiers to come out of nowhere and annihilate me constantly.