The blind people woke up over there at Robot

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: The blind people woke up over there at Robot

Post by 36drew »

Probably the worst patch I have ever seen. Japan and india are still likely top civs. Either that or we will see about 80000 Iro mirrors again.

I hate that the community is divided and am not sure what to say atm. The fan patch is far superior is just about every way.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

for you it's not that bad, but people of pr 24_26 it sucks, they are on the border of patch and non-patch..
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Wow, I take a day off and look at the speeches I missed :D

I am just going to stick with the FP. Look, I only play with the clan anyway, and we play AS patch. All my civs work fine on it, and I don't have to worry about some lamer killing my PR with unfair advantages because I don't play for PR! So I face less of dilemma than some.

Having said that, why is Robot Lag-a-Tainment even bothering with a patch? It is so dreary and uninspired that they might as well not even have bothered. If people want a real patch, they can get AS'. Robot's patch is, frankly speaking, total garbage. It looks like a child's scribbling compared to AS Sistine Balance Chapel.

I agree with Soccer: You will never get perfect balance in this game. Some civs will be strong in some matchups. Others won't. That's just how it's been since '05. But if you play for fun with buddies--as we do here--all that doesn't mean a thing.

About the Russia/France debate: I think oprichs are lame, but I agree with Chris' arguments that they are not always brainless until you get a maximum eco going. I agree with Lazy, on the other hand, that a high siege unit should not have the power to run away, but it is also true that you can kill them pretty easily with dedicated anticav. Well, unless they 20+ and they kill your town before you can kill them :neutral: And what's so bland about France? Aren't hussars a special and unique unit? ::/
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Insta cuirs is just off limits. Opris are only less homosexual than axe riders/bow riders excited by dances, the problem is that russia is already a colossus in lategame. Nerfing veteran stat upgrades was the right thing to do.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

I'm happy about the patch. At my level, I have to play "noob patch" games about 1/2 the time. So, even if it's less than the FP, it's still slightly better than the old patch and therefore it will improve 1/2 my games because this patch is one the general noob player out there will actually use.

At my level, many of the things you guys seem spun up on don't really bother me. I know that Japan is OP, but the variability in my standard gameplay is much greater than the difference between 8 xbows and 9 xbows on a card. I know that one xbow (and changes of similar magnitude) is a critical change to some, but there is no way I'm going to notice most of these.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]for you it's not that bad, but people of pr 24_26 it sucks, they are on the border of patch and non-patch..[/quote]

I haven't found it to be all that terrible honestly
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

to drew and kaiser, you have to distinguish between two things: what generally most people want and what robot wanted to do

primarily they wanted to fix double deck along with some oos exploits and decreasing overall lagginess when any kind of water is involved

secondly, they wanted to remove the big balance issues, not the smaller or mediocreones. and they did

looking at their goals and estimating the result, they achieved what they wanted to
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]for you it's not that bad, but people of pr 24_26 it sucks, they are on the border of patch and non-patch..[/quote]

^^ what he said.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jonesk
Private
Private

Post by jonesk »

I think it's hard for team game players, 1v1 isn't too bad I don't think.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Looking at contacting Robot Entertainment to get some more info. Trying to get phone number.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""] And what's so bland about France? Aren't hussars a special and unique unit? ::/[/quote]

Yeah, 'unique' to like 9 civs. Having hussars doesn't give and France any added attractiveness. Its just my opinion that I think France would be bland without cuirs. Take Germany for example, they get uhlans, WW, SW, awesome mercs and slower shipmens that all mix in to give something different. Now look at Spain with lancers, rods and fast shipments or Brits with Lbows, awesome grens and manors or ottos auto spamming vils adding a new dimension to thier gameplay. All the other civs when you pick them up you have to learn a new dimension to your gameplay, whether it be batch trained units, a bank eco or learning to manor boom. France, you just don't need to learn anything new really.

What makes France unique? Cuirs and CDB, without cuirs, CDB alone are passive units really. Can't really have fun with them unlesss your feeling like a suicidal vil rush. So they can xbow/pike rush well. But so can many other civs. Out of all the Euro civs I find they are just too ordinary, average looking buildings, average units (variety wise, except for cuirs), average game play. For me without cuirs, France would be just boring. Bland.
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

Voltiguers ftw?

I bounce between Fan and ES patches to get QM's/clan games as it is, and I do not see that changing.

At least there will be more interest in the game in the coming days.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

For me is important what patch 1.03 for TAD will look like, then i will judge Robot by that.
Patch 1.02 is only a fast patch for fixing Double Deck and doing a nerf to Japan and India.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Read agesanc: RE are patching the game for all users, not for the "less then 1%" of registered ESO users that make up the top 200 players and age sanc contributers.

To me that is: we will never adopt the the radical changes of fan patch 1.1.

They also state that they haven't decided on future patches yet.

So probably the next RE patch wont be for another 5 months.

Such a shame they wont be using some of the excellent work on fan patch 1.1 any time soon.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""luukje""]
To me that is: we will never adopt the the radical changes of fan patch 1.1.

Such a shame they wont be using some of the excellent work on fan patch 1.1 any time soon.[/quote]

I read it before and also understood it the way u understood it, but nevertheless 1.02 is only a quick dirty patch concerning balance what was more or less also stated at AS by RE.
People should also concern FP 1.1 was published End of March, TAD 1.02 only 2 months later. So no time to look at all the changes and consider about them esp. if u announce support for AOE3 then you have to give the community a life sign with a patch.
And to be honest, it addresses also some things people were complaining all the time about (OOS, ship battles and last half year double decking).
For balance u still have FP 1.1, proably 1.2 and maybe later 1.03 though this also is proably only giving half of the balance what FP does.