The blind people woke up over there at Robot

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: The blind people woke up over there at Robot

Post by deadhanddan »

viper at AS stated that FP 1.2 will be pushed for availability a day or two after robot releases their patch , so that the FP can incorporate the deck and bug fixes into the newest FP. i will like this new FP and i hope that clan members will at least download and play on it occasionally. so much work and dedication has been put into these patches that it would be a shame not to use them. if anyone wants an opponent to play either 1v1 rated or unrated on FP 1.2 i am available ;) but as for robot's patch , little to no chance i will use it

FP or bust
- Dan
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]viper at AS stated that FP 1.2 will be pushed for availability a day or two after robot releases their patch , so that the FP can incorporate the deck and bug fixes into the newest FP. i will like this new FP and i hope that clan members will at least download and play on it occasionally. so much work and dedication has been put into these patches that it would be a shame not to use them. if anyone wants an opponent to play either 1v1 rated or unrated on FP 1.2 i am available ;) but as for robot's patch , little to no chance i will use it

FP or bust[/quote]

Agreed, but it just seems too little too late for the official patches. Many people have already left this game due to balance issues, and it seems like RE are clutching at straws to keep people interested, as Comadevil said, a quick and diluted job.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

RE is only getting paid by MS and doing the job they are paid for. Nothing more and nothing less. Even if they would like to do more, budget dictates the possible amount of work for AOE3
And yes people leave due to balance issues due to that they played the game for years. etc. But still there are many more people on ESO than on (almost) any other rts platform except Battle.Net.
And this after years of release. This is quite a success imo
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well I can tell from the last few weeks that ESO seems to be deserted so any attempt to get people back to Aoe3 is welcomed by me. Getting rid of the double deck issues is enough to make some people come back I hope. Also less OOS issues and any attempt to reduce the lagginess is urgently needed if ESO is to last any longer.

However until they achieve balance like the FP I'm sticking with it.

[quote=""Palehorse""]Voltiguers ftw?

[/quote]

Everyone gets skirms, the French have slightly stronger ones, big deal.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

It all sounds confused, but Iroquois FTW I think!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]Well I can tell from the last few weeks that ESO seems to be deserted so any attempt to get people back to Aoe3 is welcomed by me. Getting rid of the double deck issues is enough to make some people come back I hope. Also less OOS issues and any attempt to reduce the lagginess is urgently needed if ESO is to last any longer.

[/quote]

Yup. It's getting more and more difficult to get a game. I'm playing 3v3's with almost the same people every day.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""jonesk""]I think it's hard for team game players, 1v1 isn't too bad I don't think.[/quote]

/signed

[quote=""deadhanddan""]viper at AS stated that FP 1.2 will be pushed for availability a day or two after robot releases their patch , so that the FP can incorporate the deck and bug fixes into the newest FP.[/quote]

no dan, the fp has not to be altered to be played on the new robot patch, the doubledeck fixes and stuff go for all games regardless what fp is launched.
so they just need to make the new robot patch think that the new robot patch is launched, whereas in reality their AS fan patch 1.2 is launched
that also requires some changes to the database xml files and such, but it's really little work for AS

that is what i wanted to point out many times: AS just changes some values in a database, they can't program an official game, that's why they can't fix things like doubledeck and only the real developers can. official programs are secured by cryptography programs i suppose so that nobody can their work and edit it

you can't really decompile aoe3
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]Well I can tell from the last few weeks that ESO seems to be deserted so any attempt to get people back to Aoe3 is welcomed by me. Getting rid of the double deck issues is enough to make some people come back I hope. Also less OOS issues and any attempt to reduce the lagginess is urgently needed if ESO is to last any longer.

[quote=""Palehorse""]Voltiguers ftw?

[/quote]

Everyone gets skirms, the French have slightly stronger ones, big deal.[/quote]

Ok I personally dislike French because they're too plain. French is the civ that is supposed to be the "standard" civ. The civ with no drawbacks except for a little lack of characteristic features. Their main characteristic is that they can do everything, even tho they ain't the best ones at it (except, arguably, at lategame but that's only part of 10% of the games so it doesn't count as much as a characteristic as others do).

I.e.:

The Dutch, Portuguese, British and Japanese can't rush as well as French can.

The British, Russians, Aztecs and Sioux can't FF as well as French can.

Even Germans, French's evil twin, are different from French because they're much more focused on offensive capabilities than French are. Before Germans got nerfed and French got boosted in the fanpatch Germans were indeed "French on steroids" because not only did they have similar economy, Germans also had extra uhlans and strong offensive cards (like 9 xbows + 2 uhlans).

Well the idea is that you can do anything with French, you can go for early market and go for semi-FF with hussar harass, you can just boom in colonial, you can rush with xbow/pike, you can go straight FF for skirm/goon/2 falcs with cuirs added later, on late fortress age france's 3 tc boom is pretty strong as well. You can now even sea boom in case you need it.

French can be played in many different ways, check french players' vods. Dutch, for instance, is forced to get 3 banks asap so it's predictable that 75% of the times they're going to turtle. French players can do whatever they want to.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

QUOTE SPORTING: "Opris are only less homosexual than axe riders/bow riders excited by dances."

This made me fall on the floor laughing... excited dancing homosexual axe riders... what an image :D :D
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]to drew and kaiser, you have to distinguish between two things: what generally most people want and what robot wanted to do

primarily they wanted to fix double deck along with some oos exploits and decreasing overall lagginess when any kind of water is involved

secondly, they wanted to remove the big balance issues, not the smaller or mediocreones. and they did

looking at their goals and estimating the result, they achieved what they wanted to[/quote]

If you think there aren't HUGE game imbalances on that patch than think again. Even a master sarge knows that.

Instant currs?
20 range goons?
Instant inf?
Bow riders?
Japan? Still OP (notice OP, not strong)
India? Still OP (notice OP, not strong)
Spain is bad - shipments are still overnerfed. 3 lancers? 5 rods? Come on.
Dutch is slow since they loose 160 villager seconds early to chop an extra 100 wood.
China's old han is broken amongst other things.
Otto are map dependant and just overall weak, while abus are too strong.
Hand cav can beat ranged cav.
Coyotes own almost everything.
If some makes maces you can't even bother with HI, because 2x is just ridiculous. Meanwhile pumas are just bad versions of their Euro counterpart.
Iro can age sub 4 minutes and mass too fast.
Ports are just way to weak early game. Unless you feel like playing NR 40, aging with 13 vills and no market gives them the worst eco in the game.
Schooners allows for sick 3 dock booms while massing army.
Little pieces of wall can give you LOS for the entire map.

This is just what I could think of in 1 minute. o_O
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

yes drew , you listed my resentments of 1.01a / 1.02a to a T! these are the reasons i hate that patch and will never go back to it. i can still remember people defending japan+india months ago when that's all they played

FP or bust!
Last edited by deadhanddan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dan
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

+1
It is amazing to see how different the two patches are going to be when written out like you did drew..I don't think Ill be able to play anything but the FP.
right now i feel i would rather not play then go to a game and just get iro 4 min rushed again, or still get lamed by japs.
I don't think japs are going to be weakened enough, but once this RE patch comes out people are going to start defending the civ saying that they are ok now..they got nerfed!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""36drew""]

If you think there aren't HUGE game imbalances on that patch than think again. Even a master sarge knows that.

Instant currs?
20 range goons?
Instant inf?
Bow riders?
Japan? Still OP (notice OP, not strong)
India? Still OP (notice OP, not strong)
Spain is bad - shipments are still overnerfed. 3 lancers? 5 rods? Come on.
Dutch is slow since they loose 160 villager seconds early to chop an extra 100 wood.
China's old han is broken amongst other things.
Otto are map dependant and just overall weak, while abus are too strong.
Hand cav can beat ranged cav.
Coyotes beat almost everything.
If some makes maces you can't even bother with HI, because 2x is just ridiculous. Meanwhile pumas are just bad versions of their Euro counterpart.
Iro can age sub 4 minutes and mass too fast.
Ports are just way to weak early game. Unless you feel like playing NR 40, aging with 13 vills and no market gives them the worst eco in the game.
Schooners allows for sick 3 dock booms while massing army.
Little pieces of wall can give you LOS for the entire map.

This is just what I could think of in 1 minute. o_O[/quote]

ALMIGHTY CANOE SPAM :-P
drew, i know of the huge imbalances and i have a similiar way of thinking of them like you and deadhanddan and a lot of others do, heck i'm playing fp games 95% of the time.
i'm, just pointing out that people like us and of course the higher ranked people realize these things, but look at what aloysius says and i think he's right

[quote=""Aloysius""]While we do love the fact that fans are so passionate about Age3 that they have made a
fan patch for it, and we're happy to support them, the people who play on the fan patch are less than 1/10th of 1% of the people who have ESO accounts, and we won't be implementing massive,
game-changing changes to the game just for them.[/quote]

i only saw those bigger & smaller imbalances when i was watching recs of agesanc and vods
i did a bit of researching and guessing, and come to the conclusion that there is a maximum of 500 people on ESO using the the AS fanpatch.
now divide that number through all other people... ppl playing vanilla, twc, people playing treaty or deathmtach who don't need the fp etc.

and now look at the fact that aloysius has no problem with these 500ppl using the fanpatch, i think it's great people can play either way and so am i, a united community would be nice though
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i very much doubt unity will ever be achieved , of those 500 you mention id say 400 of them would stop playing if FP wasnt available and RE patch was made mandatory as only patch playable. the rest would soon leave as well due to lack of games in the higher pr range and still glaring imbalances. a divided community imho is a good thing tbh , gives lower ranked players a reason to become better and progress to the FP rather then stay on a patch where 3-4 civs will rule and the others are just shadows of those top civs. on this new patch QS will almost be exactly the same as 1.o1a , by that i mean you don't dare go with any civ other then the top 2 - 3 and play mainly mirror matches all day long. FP is soo great because it gives back the option of variety to this game, 1.01a doesnt because it is all about the ashi-sepoy spam fest.
- Dan
ChrisTheMean
Private
Private

Post by ChrisTheMean »

Many people have already left this game due to balance issues, and it seems like RE are clutching at straws to keep people interested
I thinks its just the opposite. Anything that divides the communtiy means less people on, means the quicker they can abandon this project altogether. I love playing this game and I think we need to see through their efforts to divide the community. If it keeps going this way (3 versions, 2 platforms, fp) their will be no one playing in no time. Someone needs to present a convincing argument to the communtiy and to robot that we must all get on the same patch, and tell robot that we will not go away.
Re: 'bland' French comment: the main reason I like French is the ability to get super-improved natives, giving them IMO potentially the most diverse army on any given map. You have to know what strengths they have, control that area of the map, and compliment them with other regular units. Not bland at all IMO. Saguenay Huron trade dominance + Cree kinship ftw!
http://www.ensemblestudios.com/stats/Ga ... _Supremacy
[quote=""Soccerman771""]It's obvious. As your name states you were mean to him so he went and cried in the corner. When he got the muster to come back to the game and face you, well you made him cry again.[/quote]