The blind people woke up over there at Robot

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: The blind people woke up over there at Robot

Post by luukje »

yes but on my lvl (pr20-22) there are just no games in fanpatch. Even on 2v2 or 3v3 im always the weakest link.
And AS are better then ES but I dont I dont always like the decisions they take - less diversity - and they split up the community. Why o why cant we just have a perfect game with one community of online players....
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Because ES were only in it for the money?

At the end of the day, balance or no balance they got paid. And when they realised that Japan & India were simply too powerful, they were far too lazy to imlement the changes that even the top players were suggesting. So in essence, they shot themselves in the foot by not doing anything.

AgeSanctuary didn't divide the community - ES did by not doing anything to address balance changes.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I fully disagree. The fan patch totally caters to the top players and it DOES split the community. There are many people at the 1st lt/capt level that just won't let japan/india in their games, and many times Sioux. Are there balance issues between India and Japan, totally. But that being said, I've been on the winning side of 3v3's involving those two civs being on the other side at the same time.

No patch has EVER completely balanced the game. In the same breath I say that some maps will always favor certain civs.

Lastly, this is a GAME! Meant to be played for FUN! If balance gets in the way of having fun, then people need to find better things to do with their time.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I hate the sioux changes,I mean what were they thinking 8O ? They are going to be broken!
......................................................................................................
Sioux
o Dog Soldiers train faster, train points down to 55 from 60.

o War Club hack armor increased to .20, up from .10.

o Added 1 starting food crate.

o Bow Riders reduced in cost. Gold cost was reduced by 25g and bounty changed to 18.

o Wakina Riflemen attack range reduced by 2 from 20 down to 18.
............................................................................................................
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

N3O clan will still fully and officially support the AgeSanc patch! It is the way we roll.

ALL of the games that I host will be AgeSanc patched, as will be almost all games hosted by our members.

The way I c it people that want 2 play non clan games have to make the decision on which patch they play, and that in turn will be decided by both their rank and Nº of games available to them on ESO.

out

PS Im glad that broken curs and brainless opris have taken such a big interest by both patch teams!
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

You just got to learn how to counter opris, if you ever let a Russian player get to the stage where they can brainlessly spam opris your doing something wrong and would lose anyway. Opris rely on surprise to win because they are so weak I'd swear they'd lose to vils if it weren't for the bonus they get vs them! Take away their surprise and they ain't much of a threat. You do this with walls and map control, and if you don't have this you are probably going to lose anyway.

I don't think cuirs are too bad either anymore, and yes you can say this is because I make them but I play French rarely and have to counter them myself often. I'd rather have slightly strong cuirs then a waste of time unit that makes France completely bland.

P.S. FP ftw, the new maps alone are worth it for me.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

@Lazy: Congrats to ur first post at AS ;)
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]I fully disagree. The fan patch totally caters to the top players and it DOES split the community. There are many people at the 1st lt/capt level that just won't let japan/india in their games, and many times Sioux. Are there balance issues between India and Japan, totally. But that being said, I've been on the winning side of 3v3's involving those two civs being on the other side at the same time.

No patch has EVER completely balanced the game. In the same breath I say that some maps will always favor certain civs.

Lastly, this is a GAME! Meant to be played for FUN! If balance gets in the way of having fun, then people need to find better things to do with their time.[/quote]

totally agree with you soccer.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Maybe so Soccer, but by not doing anything to balance the game, they essentially forced everyone 26+ into a corner. Either put up with it, or make a fanpatch.

The simple fact that AgeSanctuary had to make a patch should give you an indication of how motivated ES are to make this game succeed.

After all, that is a vital part of game development. You bring the game out, and as a company and producers of the game, it's their role to observe responses from the online community.

But as you also said, it is just a game. It shouldn't be taken too seriously. I also agree with Chris - The new maps alone make this fanpatch worth playing.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Well maps are great. And indeed, the work of AS just demonstrates how poor a balancing job ES has done. Or even more, how little they have done for the online community since the beginning.
With SC2 still on hold, C&C3 doing nothing special, they could have created something big for themselves.

But on a 2 or 3 million copies sold, why should ES care about 1000 remaining 25+ players now? Or for the total 10.000 players who take online playing seriously?
They just dont care at all.

What they dont get is that a loyal, content online community of 50.000 players, like starcraft, can really get the buzz going for your next game. They put it on their blogs, clansites all the internet forums, the media gets going, that's how blizzard hype their stuff. And then they deliver a decent product. With support.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""ckei""]I hate the sioux changes,I mean what were they thinking 8O ? They are going to be broken!
......................................................................................................
Sioux
o Dog Soldiers train faster, train points down to 55 from 60.

o War Club hack armor increased to .20, up from .10.

o Added 1 starting food crate.

o Bow Riders reduced in cost. Gold cost was reduced by 25g and bounty changed to 18.

o Wakina Riflemen attack range reduced by 2 from 20 down to 18.
............................................................................................................[/quote]

?? sioux weren't touched at all i bet you read the wrong patch notes, as many ppl did kinda. juts read patch 1.02, every thing that comes after

· Germans
o 9 Crossbowmen shipment changed to 8 Crossbowmen

is not part of teh new patch

soccerman i have to second that.
imo while it is easy to switch patches(few mouse clicks) in a 3v3rdm or tvb, it is hard to fill the game by people being on either fp or standard patch. for that moment, it doesn't matter if people regularly switch between both patches, the games won't fill faster.

i see serious advocates of the as fan patch in form of deadhanddan and lazy_tuga :-P
i'm glad that even some higherranked players say it would be no harm to play the robot patch now, as balance itself doesn't play a big role either, these things made completely difference for people who could perfectly abuse it.

i share es and robots philosophy of patching games, they won't change minor details like the fanpatch did but they do well on nerfing the obvious without overnerfing
that way there will always be certain things favour a civ(tp, high crate maps, water maps, defensive maps like texas), but i use my civs as a weapon not an allaround-sledgehammer-drill- pincer tool being able to do everything :D
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""luukje""]
But on a 2 or 3 million copies sold, why should ES care about 1000 remaining 25+ players now? Or for the total 10.000 players who take online playing seriously?
[/quote]
No, i don't think so.
If they wouldn't care at all then patching wouldn't be done anymore. Just look at all the EA titles. Then u know what real bad patching is.
If they don't begin with a "small" community they will never achieve what Blizzard has done. Creating titles which people buy because of good gameplay AND support.
AOE3 still belongs to the 2-10% of titles which gets a patch with balance changes and bug fixes though it was released years ago
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i have to fully agree to this post on agesanc

"Perhaps we should contemplate switching back to the official patches.. One thing I really would like to know is whether RE will make further patches after this one?

One of the reasons for FP 1.0 ever being created was because it was assumed there would never again be an official patch after ES1.01a. Of course this is not the case seemingly. Whilst I think balance is important, the current state of the game is unhealthy with diminishing numbers and a split community on ESO - its not doing the game any favours. It might be important, in the long term of AOE3, to just stick to the official patch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"also think that at present, the importance of unity far outweigh the need for obtaining strong balance"
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

[quote=""Comadevil""][quote=""luukje""]
[/quote]
No, i don't think so.
If they wouldn't care at all then patching wouldn't be done anymore. Just look at all the EA titles. Then u know what real bad patching is.
If they don't begin with a "small" community they will never achieve what Blizzard has done. Creating titles which people buy because of good gameplay AND support.
AOE3 still belongs to the 2-10% of titles which gets a patch with balance changes and bug fixes though it was released years ago[/quote]

If they really cared, they did a bad job. How can "amateurs" like Agesanc create a good balance patch, where profesionnals like ES/RE failed?

Well they probably did try. If my memory is correct, they sometimes even enlisted top players.

Still, incredible how they screwed up.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

No one can bash AS 1.01's balance, it's way too perfect with only a couple flaws (ottos being changed too radically for my taste and spain lagging a bit behind).

Imo it's not a matter of they caring or not. We all know that Age of Empires creators and balance team just don't know as much about the game as the top players of the community. And by top I don't mean top 10 like they did with ES8, on fanpatch team there were almost 40 people in there.