new lamest civ

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

new lamest civ

Post by deadhanddan »

what are your views as to which should hold the crown for ''lamest'' civ on 1.1 , personally i feel it is ports , no getting around uber age up times, insta map control - of course late game is a diffeent story but its my honest oppinion that ports are the new india es patch , am i the only one who feels this way?
- Dan
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Re: new lamest civ

Post by deaconferal »

I honestly haven't found a civ yet that really bothers me, or should I say left me feeling that I would have lost no matter what I had done. I agree that Ports can be quite irritating but I don't believe they are honestly OP.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

There are no lame civs at this time imo, it will take some time Before lame strats appear, and how it is at the moment every civ has a fighting chance of winning.
And comparing 1.1 ports with 1.01a is just rediculous, Ports dont get a Free vil with every shipment, ports dont get OP trickle cards, They dont get OP Muskets, they dont have access to Seriously OP Ranged Cav/Cav in colonial, India gets Both wood cutting techs for free, They dont get XP from livestock which is imbalanced on maps like saguenay and mongolia, and Ports dont get colonial skirmishers.
amigrunt

Post by amigrunt »

You know, after learning so much about portugal I might actually play them after reading this. I just have to get 6 more levels with my india so i can start my portugal at lvl 40. Do the ports have to ff to be good in the fp because I was told they had to ff by my instructor in the non patch.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i was referring to ports fast age up , super aggressive nature, insta map control (tc) to the india agra rush (10/10 - p10) of course i know they dont get get free vills and wood trickles lol but what ports do have now is a boosted eco combined with a very strong+fast rush , map control is hell on a lot of civs , just being able to quickly+effectively cut a player off from strategic resources such as herds , gold mines with just a simple fast age-up ( just like the old agra 10/10 strat ) is a major impact , you can say ''herd the hunts back to you'' which yes , its required on start herd and close 2nd hunt, but attempting to herd hunts farther out early on results in a slower age up time which as of now is more or less suicide vs. this p10 strat. many civs can't age up that fast and the loss of map+eco most likely will result in GG
- Dan
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

I think the game is really balanced at the moment. Haven't faced the Ottos with my germans yet, though. They might give me hard time. All other matchups seem good so far.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

the india 10/10 can have a fast age up with the equivelant of 13.5 vils not to mention being able to build vils in transition through ages. But while doing the p10 your economy is shafted. And you can say that you have 2 TC's to boom back up but with a 10 vil eco it would be hard enough to support 1 TC along with military production, not to mention if the rush fails your pretty much done. Unlike with india.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i have to disagree , ask chaos about this - the speed of this rush with the map control is awesome while considering 1st shipment can be saved directly( unlike india ) for age 2 , meaning 8xbow+6 musk+rax spam all at 4 minutes ( while most civs have 1 range infantry/heavy infantry card , with the exception of spain which is more or less at a huge disavantage in this match up ) and even quicker depending on food treasures ( 150 food treasures on yukon , saguenay e.g. ,80 -90- 75 food treasures on other maps just add to the speed of this rush , how many civs can be in age 2 at 3:30?), all a port player has to do is push enemy off resources and force them to turtle while enjoying the benefits of map control and eventual age up while enemy is stuck to the limited eco of his immediate surroundings . like i said very few civs can match the speed and strength of the p10 age up and rush
- Dan
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

what would win a fight, 14 maces or 8 xbow+6 musk?
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

vs. aztec always best to start off with cav then add ranged units + mm in ,
- Dan
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

would that not then buy enough time for the aztec player to build up some kind of defense then? since cav are a bit more expensive and require a stronger economy?
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i agree with tubruk here, portugal is strong now, but not op.

i seriously can't say yet too which civ would be the strongest, but i guess brits, dutch, germany have a good chance being on top
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""blayzer13""]would that not then buy enough time for the aztec player to build up some kind of defense then? since cav are a bit more expensive and require a stronger economy?[/quote] depends really , say germany , france ,otto, china, even brits can do a decent cav+infantry spam , really depends on card order and scouting of enemy
- Dan
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

so it seems like something possible at the higher skill levels then, in that perspective it makes ports not seem as op
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Portugal may not be OP as japan or iro used to be, but they have a powerful and probably lame rush. It may not be very effective at pro-level, but for anybody else it does really well. How can one deny this? It's faster than iro rush in previous fan patch...
In many games, my opponents failed to get their rax up on time, or lost many vils to do so. I always had to initialtive, controled the hunts, spammed from 2 TCs while making military etc... Tubby, what you said is clearly pure guessing and not based on experience.

[quote=""blayzer13""]what would win a fight, 14 maces or 8 xbow+6 musk?[/quote]

this will never happen, before your first 9 maces arrive, the port player will already be sniping vils with 8 xbows and 5 or 10 musks. Unless you age up fast with aztecs and ship military first, you will suffer constant pressure... ask etrips how brutal it is.

If the rush doesn't kill you, you will run out of hunts, and forget about map control, you aint gonna tear down a TC early game.
Reaching III is so easy as well while the other is still recovering, usually I hit III around 10-11 mins...

I think the truth is: nobody is really trying this strat so it stays below the radar, which might be a good thing tho :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle