what if...

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: what if...

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

It would be sit and boom while making army until one outbooms the other, not as fun as it could sound I think.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

nah don't like the idea, the only thing is mayby revealed map...
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

Was going to Mention that Highlander, It was very popular for lower skilled players where they had a hard time doing counters in aoe2 and is great for beginners because it allows that spying advantage that the higher level players had.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

aoe 2 is difficult if you compare it to aoe 3.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Very difficult, indeed. Aoe3 is quite simplified.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Very difficult, indeed. Aoe3 is quite simplified.[/quote]

Really? It must have been really complex; I think AOE 3 is the most intricate game I have ever seen. I am a latecomer to the series, though.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

I agree with Ben. When I first started playing it I was like 'whoa...'

Like when you buy or sell a resource at the market, that affects all players on the map.

And how units attack each other but resistances are subtracted etc.

And all the percentages of economic cards and unit upgrades.

It's a mathematicians toy store out there. :)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Well, to give an example, in aoc you had gathering points, like, you had a villager gathering wood, it would gather until 10w, but you would only get it when the villager had delivered the 10w on a town center or a lumber camp. There was also a 4th resource, which was stone, it was more or less limited and it was used to build castles and towers.

To age up, you had to have 2 buildings of the age before aging. To age to feudal age (2nd), you had to have either a mill, lumber camp, mining camp or dock, two of these. To age to castle age (3rd) you had to have either a barracks, archery range (melee inf and ranged inf were separated), stables, blacksmith (it gave upgrades) or market(?), two of these. To the imperial age, the last one, you either had to have a castle and go ahead, or a university (upgrades), monastery (trains monks that heal and convert units) or siege workshop (two of these if you had no castle). This building requirements were in addition to the resources you had to pay. Also, aging didn't grant you free units or resources like aoe3.

Just some examples.
In aoc you didn't get units in batches. They'd train 1 by 1 instead of 5.
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

Also there was....what 16 Civ's each with a Unique unit from the castle, however the barracks archery range and stable had staple units (some different ones like camels would show up for certain civs) and to distinguish between the civs would have different upgrades, brits could upgrade their basic archer to an arbelast while the huns could only get crossbows. Also there was no multipliers or resistance, just reduced damage, Archers had an advantage over infantry because they were slow and archers were ranged, Cav had an advantage against archers (and infantry too when they got close) because archers had low armor. It was a very different game from aoe3, and as I stated it was a lot more fun once you got into it.

Though I have to say, aoe3 has a different more modern strategy complexity to it that aoe2 lacked but nevertheless it still makes them both great games.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

argh that would drive me crazy :-S

but we have a feature taht is like this in TAD: the sea on asian maps is illuminated :-P

okay, okay, it is a huge difference of what you mean but i think that would drive people nuts

i can only say

X marks the Spot
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

An additional note, Custom Scenario's used to be a lot easier to make, everyone made them, they even had game channels back in the day for custom scenario games.... Castle wars anyone? =)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Yeah TAD is a lot easier than AOC. Here I can take on the expert comp. On AOC I have a hard time with the moderate. Also in TAD only fishing ships take up pop while in AOC any ship took up pop. Though back with AOC water maps were a lot more fun, since it did not lag for anyone. I loved my huge fleet that I would go raid with.(none of them were transport ships only galleons and those bombard ships 8) )

Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Pssst, I cannot defeat an expert computer...

I am ashamed of myself.

Really.

He seems to age up a minute before me and just spam l'il bombards.
Royal_Guard
Private
Private

Post by Royal_Guard »

i think no fog of war for one map would be fun VS friends
"In the end of the day, as long as there are still two people left in the world, someone is going to want someone dead."
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Hydrovert5""]
Like when you buy or sell a resource at the market, that affects all players on the map.[/quote]

it does affect all players in aoe3 too^^ global market

that was a nice summary sporting, it kind of made me remember when i used to play aoe2 in 2001 with "all civs got all techs available and lose their special bonuses"