the state ESO has has turned into..

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Re: the state ESO has has turned into..

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""] If the zone was not rated, and people did not stress out about PR so much back then, there must not have been cheating, drop-ticking, hacking, whining and other nastiness, right? By transforming something into a competitive enterprise, you bring out the bad in people, I have discovered. ESO seems to confirm this. Outside N30, it appears to be populated by punks, wannabes and ruthless loudmouths.[/quote]

Ur certainly applying the correct logic here bro, however.......

The zone, regardless how much I miss it, and trust me, I miss it alot, was a safe haven for characters u described above Ben. The same Trolls that inhabit Agesanc all exiled there from the Zone. The Zone was a place where u could create UNlimited accounts. I myself would had over a dozen. They were created under 1 min and caised absolute havoc. Regarding cheats: the Zone was open 2 all. U didnt even have 2 have the game intalled 2 hop on. No CD cracks were provided by every clans webpage. Then 1 day a fella known as Torm3ntium showed up and provided, free of charge, an entire pack of hax. U had access 2 every possible hack there was. Hacking became a true problem. Every1 hacked. I hacked. U had 2 hack 2 keep up! It was so much fun 2 c an enemy player moving his troops in a certain fashion bcos he could c u. But I could c his also. So, we both knew we hacked but it was "almost" accepted.
No1 ever dropped though. Not with intent that is. Nothing was really gained by doing it other than 2 literally 2 piss people off. People were fond of pinging ur IP and actually hacking ur PC. How often did I sit at Uni and watched my m8 open other players CD drives through the zone. It was hilarious. " hey u mofo u beat me fair n sqaure, now Ill hack ur PC and upload a virus".
There was this cool idea of having members play "5 oh" ( Cops). These were the police of the comunity. Any1 could become a + member ( so called bcos theyd have a + symbol next 2 their names. These guys had very cool powers and would implent them when and where ever they could; except the correct places. Now u had players (kids)who would be prevented from typing 4 10 mins. Join games 4 a day etc. Wow what a problem, let me just hop onto another account and Voila.
It was all about attitude. The more ud bad mouth the cooler u were. Clan wars where flooding the few forums that existed. Age heaven was like Nº1 then, and still is very valuable 2day.

I spent countless hours in tha Zone. I had the time ( Uni 4 6 years wººt wººt), the speed ( yes bcos speed was king then, the word "micro" would have been mistaken for an oven of some sort in those days, who eva clicked fastest and sent more units upfront owned) and the childish hard core attitude. Clans were made and deleted on a daily basis. I really miss it.

Looking back I think the fun factor was far greater than ESO could ever provide. The game was so much more dynamic. Thousands of people played the game, although only hundreds at a time. All in all, with the cheats, the BS attitude from most, the game was balnced, the community knew itself, the strat was there although in a diferent manner and the game types were so much richer. Custom scenarios were countless. Death match was king. Random map ( 2day known as supremacy) was equally fun but kinda considered geeky, bcos there was no fighting 4 like 15 mins.

Nostalgia ftw

out

PS my main ncik was ISCS_Wasted ( ISCS being my Uni name); wasted bcos I ......... :P
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i knew from the beginning that the ptach will not find too many adherers, despite of it being well balanced.
for me, it is no problem, since i decided to play india and japan when i first got tad, and alter aztecs.later germany, cuz i like their containement, and otto for their unique gameplay.
i loved those civs before i knew any civ tiers, and they turned out to be good :P
so if i 1v1 in ES 1.01a, ppl can take any civ they like, i can adapt to anything.
seriously, i like that, this kind of flaming me etc. after a game
why should i expect ppl to be friendly, it is enough when just the clan is ;)
i don't think things would be more relaxed without the pr system, they would still yell at each other, there won't be as many smurf accounts and only unrated games, since there are no ratings :P

and i don't think it takes too long hosting a 1v1 on FP at pr20-21, i get ms joining as well as 1st lieuts to captains
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Haha, we're talking about PR, but I know that I once struggled to raise my win percentage from 37% to 50% with french native rush :) Old times
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

To be honest, the game never had a particularly huge following, and given that it's been out for a quite a while and the developer of the game has announced the upcoming closing of their studio, I'm not exactly surprised.

AoE3 had a good run; I think it's lucky that it's been somewhat active for this long. But now...just another half a year or so until SC2. I hope. :)
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

here in asia, it seems that almost nobody has the AS patch, even higher ranked players. When I get online at night, 90% of the games have the CRC thingy :(
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

90% is the normal :p I actually find more asians on qs than I'd thought I would.