Goals Thread

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: Goals Thread

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I'm sorry, KK, but you're using the Iroquois. Can you really say you're legitimately winning...?
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

lol Nav, Iroquois are far from the worst civ in terms of OPness these days, although I know you absolutely hate them.

Also, more than a few of those games in TWC were Aztec / Otto / German wins.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

The Iroquois only got a slight nerf. Only two of their twenty or so blatantly OP unique advantages got taken care of.

I do respect your Ottoman/Aztec/German wins, though. :)
Groovy.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Ok now lets do mission statements as if our AOE3 gaming was a career.

Damn Iro's play something fair like China!! But don't start playing those OP Sioux, there's just no respect in that!!
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]I'm sorry, KK, but you're using the Iroquois. Can you really say you're legitimately winning...?[/quote]

Nav just hates iro :-P
no point is discussing that, although I know he knows Iro is not OP at all, they might even be UP :twisted:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Ivon_Blood
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Ivon_Blood »

My goal is to reach 1st Leutenant in the coming months :p will be a bit of a challenge as ive just reached master seargent....
[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.[/quote]

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, I don't think Iro are as OP as Nav probably thinks they are, but they are kind of underrated since not many people play them these days -- I think they are definitely still in the top 4 or 5 civs.

Compared to Sioux, Dutch, Spain, or China, though, they aren't OP.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

FPs and their FF is still OP!!
but they aint too good anyway
My aim is to get back to my stats from aoe3, which is 2nd lt in sup and 1800 1v1 elo!!
gonna focus more on playing 1v1s with my brits and only dutch when facing 2nd lts +, which i feel is ok as i only a sergeant atm!
I would also love to master playing ports
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^ Chris -- I have much respect for anyone trying to master ports. They are a very difficult civ to master.
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

thanks drew maybe i could 1v1 you with them!! i need to get a strat that is good for me!
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Nav's a very good Port player. So is MNBob.

I played ports back in AOE3 and before my horrible freezing. I think the toughest thing about them is their lack of cannon in age 3. Also, knowing weather to go for map control or defence when placing your TC's.

Whenever I went against a rush civ I went defence, got the CM card and used TC's for cover fire. I stayed in colonial longer and delayed fortress.

Whenever I went against a non-rush civ I'd forget about CM, use MM if needed, went for map control and FF'd around 5:50's.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I've been playing almost exclusively Ports recently. Basically, I just do my turtle/raiding strategy and mix in other units later, while shipping in muskets and xbows for anti-infantry.

Against a defensive civ, I go infantry, go for map control, and boom. I'd be glad to do a few training 1v1s with you, Chris.

KK, I'll go through the OP Iroquois bonuses again.

Warchief crackshot attack from 16 range (so he doesn't die in the process like the Aztec and Sioux ones)

Warchief aura, 20% that STACKS on all upgrades!

Forest prowlers that are stronger than skirmishers but have stealth, making them some of the best raiders in the game.

Four infantry upgrade cards in age 2, one more in age 3. Combined with the aura, that leads to fortress-age units more powerful than normal imperial units.

Support cards in age 3 that can cost 250 resources to get 2000 resources worth of stuff SIX times.

Light cannons, still by far the best cannons in the game. Instant switch from movement mode to firing, 3 speed in firing mode, act as culverins, mortars, and normal cannons at the same time, and very cheap.

The travois dance still spawns buildings for the villager second equivalent of 100 wood. That means 100 wood plantations, farms, and war huts. Not to mention that they build faster and don't require villager seconds to build.

You honestly still think Iroquois are only one of the "better" civs...? It seems that people who play Iroquois tend to act as though it's a fair civ. probably to make themselves feel like they're winning with skill. For example, KK, you suddenly jumped to above your previous TWC rank (Which means you got about four PR higher and 100 ELO higher than you were before), in a matter of 20 or so games. I don't think you spontaneously concocted the ultimate strategy and all of the sudden became better, because that takes time. You just started playing Iroquois.

Sorry if I'm being mean here, but I've played against Iroquois enough to thoroughly despise any attempt at making them seem like a civilization rather than a cheat.
Groovy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]KK, I'll go through the OP Iroquois bonuses again.

Warchief crackshot attack from 16 range (so he doesn't die in the process like the Aztec and Sioux ones)

Warchief aura, 20% that STACKS on all upgrades!

Forest prowlers that are stronger than skirmishers but have stealth, making them some of the best raiders in the game.

Four infantry upgrade cards in age 2, one more in age 3. Combined with the aura, that leads to fortress-age units more powerful than normal imperial units.

Support cards in age 3 that can cost 250 resources to get 2000 resources worth of stuff SIX times.

Light cannons, still by far the best cannons in the game. Instant switch from movement mode to firing, 3 speed in firing mode, act as culverins, mortars, and normal cannons at the same time, and very cheap.

The travois dance still spawns buildings for the villager second equivalent of 100 wood. That means 100 wood plantations, farms, and war huts. Not to mention that they build faster and don't require villager seconds to build.

You honestly still think Iroquois are only one of the "better" civs...? It seems that people who play Iroquois tend to act as though it's a fair civ. probably to make themselves feel like they're winning with skill. For example, KK, you suddenly jumped to above your previous TWC rank (Which means you got about four PR higher and 100 ELO higher than you were before), in a matter of 20 or so games. I don't think you spontaneously concocted the ultimate strategy and all of the sudden became better, because that takes time. You just started playing Iroquois.

Sorry if I'm being mean here, but I've played against Iroquois enough to thoroughly despise any attempt at making them seem like a civilization rather than a cheat.[/quote]

I was waiting for this one lol

many of your points can be countered you know...

support cards? hardly realistic to use em, and nobody does

if they were still so "OP", people would play em, nobody in the top still plays iro

light cannons are age 4 and not so good anymore anyway, getting to age 4 used to be easy, now its not

their colo units are really poor, many seem to agree that they can be rushed now

FP are not much stronger than skirms.... :roll: and its the only decent unit they have

4 unit upgrades in age 2... Did you even play iro once??? in a normal game, you rarely have the opportunity to ship em early on, so it doesn't matter. 2 out of 4 are commonly played in iro decks

if iro gets any more nerfs, they will be total garbage

what I do agree on:
the travois dance should be nerfed (BUT IT IS RARELY USED AFTER GH GOT NERFED ANYWAY)
the crackshot is a bit too good in the hands of strong players, but put your units in stagger formation and it already loses half its effect

the best ranked iro player is at rank nr 373 OP OP OP
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Their support cards do not form a strategy alone, but they are individually OP and can easily be used when you have the chance.

People play mostly China now because it's just as OP and is a new civ. Once the novelty value wears off, Iro will become popular again. Look at TWC after the patch but before TAD came out.

Light cannons are in fact in age 4, but once they get to age 4, you lose. Obviously you don't make a headlong rush to age 4 just to get those, but for age 3 their cavalry completely obliterate artillery with their 2x multiplier.

colonial units are not poor by any means. Tomahawks are slightly weaker base stat-wise than musketeers, but just throw on some cards and the stacking warchief aura and you have some seriously OP units.

FP are FAR stronger than skirms. they have 110 base hp and 17 base attack, compared to 120 hp and 15 attack for skirms for the same cost. However, throw on 4 cards and you all of a sudden have 154 hp and 22 attack. Throw on free veteran status and you have 176 hp and 26 attack. Throw on the warchief aura and you have 211 hp and 26 attack. You get a skirmisher with 211 hp and 26 attack in age THREE, and they have stealth. Stealth is incredibly powerful if used right. I've singlehandedly won games using it.

I have played Iro before, and I didn't even play and I beat people over my level. I just sat there, spammed war huts with my travois dance, stealth raided with FP, and he evaporated. The Iroquois have infantry attack (also benefits mercs and stuff, and ALL infantry, not just hand or ranged), infantry hp (same thing as above), infantry combat (also same), conservative tactics, and team scout infantry.
Groovy.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

you're still talking as if iro is the same civ before all the nerfs...
they prob pissed u off at that time and since then, nothing good can be said about them and whoever dares to use em is a lamer