Killer 3v3 Combos

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Killer 3v3 Combos

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I suppose he's saying skirms/axeriders is hard to beat? Hussars>axeriders, I think that even xbows with hussars and proper micro would beat skirms and axeriders.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I suppose he's saying skirms/axeriders is hard to beat? Hussars>axeriders, I think that even xbows with hussars and proper micro would beat skirms and axeriders.[/quote]

That's true, I think. Dutch/Sioux is a good combo but Dutch has trouble against archers in team games. Obviously the axe riders can handle the archers, but what if it's Longbow/BR or something? AR/skirm couldn't touch that.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I suppose he's saying skirms/axeriders is hard to beat? Hussars>axeriders, I think that even xbows with hussars and proper micro would beat skirms and axeriders.[/quote]

That's true, I think. Dutch/Sioux is a good combo but Dutch has trouble against archers in team games. Obviously the axe riders can handle the archers, but what if it's Longbow/BR or something? AR/skirm couldn't touch that.[/quote]

a combo with sioux that would be OP must have BR's in it, all other sioux units are far from special
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This is slightly off-topic, but why the heck are BRs the only ranged cav unit (aside from Apaches on certain maps) that do full damage to vils? It seems ESO was very conscious of the fact that 7.25 speed ranged cav could totally wipe out econs without facing viable counters. Why give BRs a special privilege to do this? Is it because ESO wanted to make Sioux the "exclusive early-game raiding civ?" Obviously Russia takes over that role late-game.

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^Good damn point.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]This is slightly off-topic, but why the heck are BRs the only ranged cav unit (aside from Apaches on certain maps) that do full damage to vils? It seems ESO was very conscious of the fact that 7.25 speed ranged cav could totally wipe out econs without facing viable counters. Why give BRs a special privilege to do this? Is it because ESO wanted to make Sioux the "exclusive early-game raiding civ?" Obviously Russia takes over that role late-game.[/quote]

all i can think of is it was done to balanse their own crappy eco.
don't forget that the BR's used to be more expensive when first designed, so maybe their cost lowering is what caused the problem
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

No no no, BR are supposed by design to be raiding cav since TWC came out. They're not supposed by design to be uber cheap, that was patched. It was by design cause no ranged cav already had that title of ranged raider and that could bring diversity, the same way naginatas and eles are very good vs RI but not so good at raiding.
Alanriah
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alanriah »

well lately, me,bodet(member of your clan), and solarsiva have been 10-4 with this combo.

Im ottos, basically i just go abus pure in beginning, ill try to get to age 3 pretty fast then spam falcs.

Bodet (french) goes double rax musket age 2 and if need be he'll go to 3rd age and spam cuir/skirm/musk.

Solar (india) goes zambs/sowar, but mainly zambs in the beginning to protect abus and sowar for raiding during battle.

Normally works with great success!
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Alanriah""]well lately, me,bodet(member of your clan), and solarsiva have been 10-4 with this combo.

Im ottos, basically i just go abus pure in beginning, ill try to get to age 3 pretty fast then spam falcs.

Bodet (french) goes double rax musket age 2 and if need be he'll go to 3rd age and spam cuir/skirm/musk.

Solar (india) goes zambs/sowar, but mainly zambs in the beginning to protect abus and sowar for raiding during battle.

Normally works with great success![/quote]
It's a very good combo, but it's also one of the lamest possible.
Anything with Abus/Zamb stinks of lame.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Add Ashis instead of french?
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Add Ashis instead of french?[/quote]

This is what you would expect from a Japan/Otto 2v2 team (abus/ashi). Of course, I made that assumption in a 2v2 and wound up facing Jans and nagis of all things :(

In truth, I have lamed a little with Brit muskets and abus (3 games total). The only way to beat it is to catch the Otto before the muskets come out to protect the abus. That is really the only time you can blow it in a 2v2 involving abus. And there is a usually a small window of opportunity because Otto ages quicker than everyone and will have his abus out before 5 sometimes... it is hard for a Brit to have muskets on the ground that early.

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Unless you are playing india/japan, you aren't laming.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Add Ashis instead of french?[/quote]

This is what you would expect from a Japan/Otto 2v2 team (abus/ashi). Of course, I made that assumption in a 2v2 and wound up facing Jans and nagis of all things :(

In truth, I have lamed a little with Brit muskets and abus (3 games total). The only way to beat it is to catch the Otto before the muskets come out to protect the abus. That is really the only time you can blow it in a 2v2 involving abus. And there is a usually a small window of opportunity because Otto ages quicker than everyone and will have his abus out before 5 sometimes... it is hard for a Brit to have muskets on the ground that early.[/quote]

Hmm what about a aztec puma sling to do a REAL fast rush and just target the lamest civ they have :evil:

Might just do the trick
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I have never seen a sling in a high rank game work really effectively. The only time that I ever saw a 2v2 of 40+ players sling was a france/iro combo.

The french player played Team Age II skirms (sends all food immediately after gathering starting crates) and the iro made forest prowlers, which at the time beat everything including cav. The france player got market, shipped 3 villager etc and kept sending food while the other team had NO villagers because of massive FP raiding and could not make an FP. Not to forget that Iro got a starting warhut back then and also the forest prowlers retained their veteran status... Iro of course used fast age politician which gave a second warhut or house.

Imagine 10 forest prowlers on your doorstep at 3:30 = gg no re.

You wanna talk about OP/lame, that has to be one of the most unbelievable things I have ever heard of.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

[quote=""36drew""]Unless you are playing india/japan, you aren't laming.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more with you, these supposed lame OP combos aren't exactly lame or OP, just tricky to beat