Killer 3v3 Combos

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Killer 3v3 Combos

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]abus are good on paper but otto is too weak for decent team games, that's why you'll never see the topplayers use em in important matches.

sioux are also not popular, when raiding aint so efficient

japan has obviously 2 great units: ashi and yumi
india has both camel units
aztecs should go coyotes

often civ with good boom potential get picked ni 3v3[/quote]

Very good point. I think this is why you see so many Brits, Dutch and Ports in high PR 3v3s. And Japan, obviously :-P Well, let's not forget the French either. When you absolutely MUST get the win, just get some gendarmes.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

Wisper me if you want a Protestant 3v3 i play all those civs. Another fun combo is germany France and spain. Germany goes all out Ulhan France goes crossbowmen and spain goes pikes. Before spain gets to age 2 they send archaic infantry training and you have yourself a fun match.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I was think what about a combo of ports, aztecs, and either germans or china. The Ports could boom and try to get the organ gun. While the other 2 countries could be the main defense force since I know that the aztecs, china, and germans can get a nice sized army quickly.
I was thinking ports since in treaty I love them with the organ gun since from what I've seen it can take out more units than any other cannon. The only other cannons that can kill more units in one shot are way slower and they can only hit one area while the organ can switch targets if it's target dies. Also I was thinking aztecs because of they can get a large army quickly and at the end the jaguars can become stealthy(evil if used properly) and when completely upgraded can get 100 seige damage not including bonus from fire pit

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""danno527""]Wisper me if you want a Protestant 3v3 i play all those civs. Another fun combo is germany France and spain. Germany goes all out Ulhan France goes crossbowmen and spain goes pikes. Before spain gets to age 2 they send archaic infantry training and you have yourself a fun match.[/quote]

Sounds good, Danno. Germany/France/Spain sounds good, too. In that case, we could make it Southern Germany (say, Bavaria or even Austria), and you'd have a Catholic 3v3! :-P Also, from a strat perspective, the French could do hussars, Germans could do xbows and Spanish could do pikes. That German team cav damage card, plus the Spanish archaic inf training (oh yeah, don't forget team hand inf damage, too!) could lead to some sweet early spams. Wait? The French have a team hand cav damage card, too! Imagine stacking all those together? That's like a 50 attack uhlan in colonial :twisted: It's sort of a toss-up whether the Germans or French should do cav in a 3v3. Uhlans are easier on the econ, but early on they are so fragile compared to hussars. Still, the French have better long-range infantry cards... ie, they can boost their xbows to 115 HP in colonial. That is advantageous, I've found. And once they hit fortress with a big xbow army, they can send Tirailleurs FTW!

Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""danno527""]Wisper me if you want a Protestant 3v3 i play all those civs. Another fun combo is germany France and spain. Germany goes all out Ulhan France goes crossbowmen and spain goes pikes. Before spain gets to age 2 they send archaic infantry training and you have yourself a fun match.[/quote]

Sounds good, Danno. Germany/France/Spain sounds good, too. In that case, we could make it Southern Germany (say, Bavaria or even Austria), and you'd have a Catholic 3v3! :-P Also, from a strat perspective, the French could do hussars, Germans could do xbows and Spanish could do pikes. That German team cav damage card, plus the Spanish archaic inf training (oh yeah, don't forget team hand inf damage, too!) could lead to some sweet early spams. Wait? The French have a team hand cav damage card, too! Imagine stacking all those together? That's like a 50 attack uhlan in colonial :twisted: It's sort of a toss-up whether the Germans or French should do cav in a 3v3. Uhlans are easier on the econ, but early on they are so fragile compared to hussars. Still, the French have better long-range infantry cards... ie, they can boost their xbows to 115 HP in colonial. That is advantageous, I've found. And once they hit fortress with a big xbow army, they can send Tirailleurs FTW![/quote]

yeah the team cav combat card x2 would be good, but cant you only send the same team card once per game regardless of civ?
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

Sounds good.That is what il like about the "catholic" three vs three lots of team cards that benifit everone.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

yeah the team cav combat card x2 would be good, but cant you only send the same team card once per game regardless of civ?
that true but the cav had attack card for france and germany can be sent twice.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""joe4holly""]
that true but the cav had attack card for france and germany can be sent twice.[/quote]

This is correct. Also don't forget that the key to team games is usually fast massing and catching that first batch of units. For example, if you catch the otto's player with his first batch of 5 abus, it's almost GG -- he just lots 750 res and abus take so long to retrain, plus no eco... = GG NO RE.

Also, think about good old archaic inf. Fast pikes before you even through a building up, or 100 siege grens in the backdoor that murder your eco -- GG even if you have made all the right counter units. ETC.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I just had a guilty pleasure: I did an abus spam in a clan game... no wonder they bother people so much! 98 kills, 17 losses ;)

Still, I don't want to form bad habits and I will not play Otto on a regular basis :-P

TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I just had a guilty pleasure: I did an abus spam in a clan game... no wonder they bother people so much! 98 kills, 17 losses ;)

Still, I don't want to form bad habits and I will not play Otto on a regular basis :-P[/quote]
Indeed, me and Chocosanta refuse to play any Ottoman players at the moment, and the matchup Dutch/Sioux is simply too OP as well, no joking - guys.
We're using Brits/Aztec at present, for reference.
That's Muskets + Hussar if Required & Initial Macehautlin + Coyote Mass/more Maces if lots of HI.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Cammel""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I just had a guilty pleasure: I did an abus spam in a clan game... no wonder they bother people so much! 98 kills, 17 losses ;)

Still, I don't want to form bad habits and I will not play Otto on a regular basis :-P[/quote]
Indeed, me and Chocosanta refuse to play any Ottoman players at the moment, and the matchup Dutch/Sioux is simply too OP as well, no joking - guys.
That's Muskets + Hussar if Required & Initial Macehautlin + Coyote Mass/more Maces if lots of HI.[/quote]

I can imagine abus/BR is absolutely impenetrable. Musket/abus is bad enough... add in some ranged cav and those abus buggers are untouchable. Early Port dragoons and zamburaks could likely cause mischief, too.

GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""danno527""]Wisper me if you want a Protestant 3v3 i play all those civs. Another fun combo is germany France and spain. Germany goes all out Ulhan France goes crossbowmen and spain goes pikes. Before spain gets to age 2 they send archaic infantry training and you have yourself a fun match.[/quote]

Sounds good, Danno. Germany/France/Spain sounds good, too. In that case, we could make it Southern Germany (say, Bavaria or even Austria), and you'd have a Catholic 3v3! :-P Also, from a strat perspective, the French could do hussars, Germans could do xbows and Spanish could do pikes. That German team cav damage card, plus the Spanish archaic inf training (oh yeah, don't forget team hand inf damage, too!) could lead to some sweet early spams. Wait? The French have a team hand cav damage card, too! Imagine stacking all those together? That's like a 50 attack uhlan in colonial :twisted: It's sort of a toss-up whether the Germans or French should do cav in a 3v3. Uhlans are easier on the econ, but early on they are so fragile compared to hussars. Still, the French have better long-range infantry cards... ie, they can boost their xbows to 115 HP in colonial. That is advantageous, I've found. And once they hit fortress with a big xbow army, they can send Tirailleurs FTW![/quote]

Oooh man one time i had a 2v2 40 min treaty game where i was germany and my teammate was france. During the end of the fighting when the other guy was slowly driving me back and my teammate was in a deadlock. I realized that my uhlans were soo upgraded that the enemy hally's could barely stop them. So with the uhlans having increased speed and being able to spam them (like the french can spam cuirs thanks to the natives on great plains) I was able to quickly shove the other guy back and reset up my forward base that was over run. From that point on I was able to push him back slowly while only spaming my calv when he sent a large wave of oprichs. We won when I destroyed his teammates forward base with many petards :twisted:

Heyco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Heyco »

[quote=""36drew""]Stretlet + coyote.[/quote]

??? Both LI and lose vs Cav...
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Strelets are RI and coyotes are LI, coyotes with upgrades and wardance beat cav :)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Cammel""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I just had a guilty pleasure: I did an abus spam in a clan game... no wonder they bother people so much! 98 kills, 17 losses ;)

That's Muskets + Hussar if Required & Initial Macehautlin + Coyote Mass/more Maces if lots of HI.[/quote]

just curious, what makes dutch + sioux so OP ?
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle