General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

36drew vs _H2O

Post by 36drew »

Map: Patagonia
Match: Brits (me) vs. Dutch (him)
I go for lb/pike while he goes hussar. He adds skirm and manages to age and go for ruyter/cannon.

2400 vs 1980 LOL.

GG. (Rated too). I loose but I think I did well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: 36drew vs _H2O

Post by Soccerman771 »

Gonna hafta watch this one. The water man is probably top 5...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

GG drew, although I think you could have done better had you not kept backing out from his base. For starters, you would have caught his cannon when he hits fortress, he just had no real defence there.

I think it's the old "higher rank cautiousness" thing you had creeping in........
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]GG drew, although I think you could have done better had you not kept backing out from his base. For starters, you would have caught his cannon when he hits fortress, he just had no real defence there.

I think it's the old "higher rank cautiousness" thing you had creeping in........[/quote]

Yeah after the game he chatted and gave me some pointers. Game play wise I didn't pressure him enough and I had a tough time keeping up with constant villagers, etc, cause I was clicking every where else.
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

You did a great job Drew. The main differences I saw was with pressure and upgrades. He had 0 to your 4. Military was close but earlier Hussars may have made raiding easier and more effective for you. Great job with micro and drawing those hussars behind the rax for the pikes that were about to spawn.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Wow, Drew, I think you matched him shot for shot all the way through colonial. He really had nothing left when you pushed on him. You whipped him in the first battle. Your LB/pike micro was first-rate...nice work with the pikes in cover mode to avoid the skirm fire. I thought you really could have done some damage if you pushed hard after that fight. He must have really annoyed you with those last 4 hussars; he kept them alive forever and had all your vils on the run.

I noticed you sort of gave him map control after he went fortress and didn't hunt too much after that. I figured he must have won some psychological points to make you do that, since you had a much bigger econ and army for most of the game. Your military production really died out at one point, too. Falcs tend to do make me hesitant to keep building LBs, too :neutral:

But let's be honest: You went toe to toe with this guy in micro. Your combo beat his colonial combo hands-down. If he stayed in colonial--as many Dutch players do these days--you would have had him, I'm sure of it.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

^ I agree with everything said there. Your military micro was as good as his or better and your economy was strong.

You had early map control. I'd imagine some of your upgrades were market upgrades? I'm sure he opted to use those resources for a faster age up?

Even up to Fortress you had him except for the falcs. They made all the difference as your pike/lbow had to run and your few hussars were outmatched. He did do a great job keeping those hussars alive and annoying.

I was very impressed with your play Drew. It sounds like he's a good guy as well.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

_H2O is top 5 on a good day, and has probably one of the best micro's out there I've ever seen. Haven't watched the game yet, but keeping up with such a player means a lot, even though he wasn't playing his best prob.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Wow -- pretty kind comments guys. :)