AOE 3 Style Battle

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

AOE 3 Style Battle

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I love this movie clip; it inspired me to play as the Brits with muskets, hussars and falcs. I am convinced ESO developers incorporated some of this stuff into AOE 3's battle engine. And how can you not love that great British march playing in the background??:

"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: AOE 3 Style Battle

Post by Saint »

That was a decent movie, Only i find myself asking. How stupid do you have to be to stand in front of a guy with a big white X over red coats and Not move a muscle while he shoots at you ???
aka~Rubber_Chuck
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

yeah, I never understood this kind of 'tactics' ... it's as if they play chess with pawns, nicely lined up, ready to get butchered
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Good movie though it kinda goes downhill after halfway. ;)

[quote=""Saint""]That was a decent movie, Only i find myself asking. How stupid do you have to be to stand in front of a guy with a big white X over red coats and Not move a muscle while he shoots at you ???[/quote]

It took incredible discipline and courage to stand and fight. While the rest of Europe ran scarred from Napoleon's columns the British redcoats stood their ground and fired shot after shot until the French where beaten back.

As crazy as it may sound, given the muskets pitiful accuracy at any kind of range, the tactics used then where the most effective way of two field armies to engage in battle.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

I know the muskets sounds are from a real musket that came from a show and a few others I think.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

A wonderfull movie. I truly believe that guerilla tactics would have been so much more efficient then sending line after line of human beings, bearing NO type of armour, walking with astounding lag 2wards enemy gun fire and artilary fire. Its simply obscene. Although most battles in those days were truly won by amazing military tactics the Nº f kills were just pathetic.

out
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""LaZy""]Although most battles in those days were truly won by amazing military tactics the Nº f kills were just pathetic.

out[/quote]

Except back then most deaths were due to illnesses or infections from gun-shots/battle and not directly from battle.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""LaZy""]Although most battles in those days were truly won by amazing military tactics the Nº f kills were just pathetic.

out[/quote]

Except back then most deaths were due to illnesses or infections from gun-shots/battle and not directly from battle.[/quote]

That's true. Gangrene killed a lot more men than direct artillery fire. Speaking of battlefield injuries, it's incredible how much medical/surgical knowledge came from experience with war casualties.

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""LaZy""]A wonderfull movie. I truly believe that guerilla tactics would have been so much more efficient then sending line after line of human beings, bearing NO type of armour, walking with astounding lag 2wards enemy gun fire and artilary fire. Its simply obscene. Although most battles in those days were truly won by amazing military tactics the Nº f kills were just pathetic.

out[/quote]

Yeah but guerrilla tactics only work in your own country and you can't have enitre field armies acting as guerrillas. Guerillas are only good for defensive operations not offensive and the colonial era was all about invading other peoples countries.
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

How about...War is stupid (.) ~period
aka~Rubber_Chuck
Crazy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Crazy »

they had horrible micro
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Saint""]How about...War is stupid (.) ~period[/quote]

War is not stupid. It is inevitable. There is no time of peace in any period of recorded history.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Saint""]How about...War is stupid (.) ~period[/quote]

War is not stupid. It is inevitable. There is no time of peace in any period of recorded history.[/quote]

And that makes it Smart ?????

Have you ever been in a war ?
aka~Rubber_Chuck
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Saint""][quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Saint""]How about...War is stupid (.) ~period[/quote]

War is not stupid. It is inevitable. There is no time of peace in any period of recorded history.[/quote]

Have you ever been in a war ?[/quote]

No, but my grandfather served in WWII, and I've had friends killed in action. War is neither smart nor stupid. Was the American Revolution stupid? The US involvement in WWII stupid? The first Iraq campaign?
There are times when war is necessary and justified. Heck, one could make the argument that the game we love to play glorifies it....
jtackel@hotmail.com

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Saint""][quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Saint""]How about...War is stupid (.) ~period[/quote]

Have you ever been in a war ?[/quote]

No, but my grandfather served in WWII, and I've had friends killed in action. War is neither smart nor stupid. Was the American Revolution stupid? The US involvement in WWII stupid? The first Iraq campaign?
There are times when war is necessary and justified. Heck, one could make the argument that the game we love to play glorifies it....[/quote]

Wars are inevitable, and yes, sometimes they are necessary and justified, just the way it is sometimes necessary and justifiable to take a person's life who is about to take yours. Are they smart? I think the answer is--again--"sometimes." When I think of the word "smart," I imagine a conscious, cost-benefit analysis weighing potential gains against potential losses from an envisioned plan. Sometimes, armed conflict will gain a country more than it will cost, and that is logically "smart." Colonial wars in the 19th Century, for instance, cost virutally nothing, yet brought boundless natural resources home, improving economies and hastening industrial development. I am not defending imperialism by any stretch, but the fact remains that wars are an available "means" to achieve political and economic ends. Whether they are the wisest means available is a more difficult question that depends on a whole host of other circumstances, including the possibility of long-term ills that follow easy wins (ie, post-1967 Israel, among many others...like the whole Ottoman Empire). In one way, wars are the ultimate in human competition; they are the ultimate gamble. Lose, and a whole country could disappear.