People leaving!

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: People leaving!

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

By fixing those civs. Only China's problem on the FF was the discs and the handmortars. Dutch's problem was the xp flood that banks gave. Iros FF wasn't ''OP'', fps were a bit too good and the fast age up could do with some extra 15 secs or sth. 20 atk prowlers would be ok.

The civs with issues against FF were just Russia, Brits and Aztecs and only those. And FF wasn't strong enough to beat a rush, most rushes could beat FFs except for in some situations Spain and I could beat Spain FF with a rush quite often.

I like colo war, I just don't like this colo war (with Jap and India and musk/huds) and colo war being most games. Prepatch colo war was fun as well.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I completely agree with luukje. This is the worst patch I ever played, even 1.03 with iros was better since you could exclude iros and have some fun. This flood of 6 civs which all have boring playing styles is plain crap.

I'm looking forward to come back actively on 1v1s as soon as next patch comes back.[/quote]

x a million. It has basically made every civ 1-dimensional.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I did enjoy old school german merc FF. Prepatch you could still do it (not as OP as before) but now they killed it altogether and replaced the good ol' german FF with some boring xbow spam with uhlans.[/quote]

Just curious, how could they "fix" it so FF is balanced and a decent option but not make every game an FF war?

Pre-patch there were 3 civs where FF was OP (Iro, China, Dutch), while there were a couple of civs where if you FF'd because you had to in order to survive.[/quote]

When I first picked up this game a year ago, I basically learned that as a German you had to FF to survive. Now I almost always play colonial, with--as everyone knows--the boring xbow/uhlan combo. It seems that this patch was determined to eviscerate FF as a viable strategy. Spain used to have a super-good FF with 5+4 lancers, fast-delivered falcs and more rods per shipment. Now, no one on earth plays Spain, though I think they are a cool civ.

I think ESO killed the FF with its attempt to force players into "mixing their units." They were concerned that people won games by spamming a single unit. This was a noble goal--after all, skirms should not beat hussars--but the effect is that everyone simply masses colonial cav, which now do so much better against RI-based colonial armies. Now, you need to have RI, pikes and cav, which some civs have in greater strength than others, ie, India and Japan (well, ashis kinda act as both RI and pikes cuz they beat xbows, muskets and horses as long as they maintain equal numbers with their foes).

So, I guess this longish introduction to the question brings me to my conclusion: To revive FF, ESO needs to cut back on some of the cav boosts it awarded in this patch, and perhaps restore some cards that made FF worthwhile in the first place. Now, I certainly don't want to see disciples restored to their pre-patch levels, but I think some constructive changes to cav could be made; even restoring the TC's 1.5X bonus against cav would help reduce colonial lamerism imo. And obviously a fair nerf to ashis and shrines would cut back on Japan's overwhelming colonial ability.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

KvN wrote:Now, no one on earth plays Spain
:roll:
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""] Now, no one on earth plays Spain, though I think they are a cool civ.

[/quote]

If only that were true then maybe Lazy would still be playing AOE3, I'm sorry I drove you away with my FFA Spain lamage Lazy...please forgive me or at least tell me what you did with my cat...
Last edited by Blackadderthe4th on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Cammel""]The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..[/quote]

good question... it made me wonder: what are the differences between irish and scottish whisk(e)y :?:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Nah I'm staying put, this is my home. :)
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""Cammel""]The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..[/quote]

As u will discover in life there r three professions u should never trust, used car salesmen, insurance salesmen and dentists.

sicco

PS Chaos u wanna throw in the bourbon into that mess bro?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

bring it on Lazy :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""LaZy""][quote=""Cammel""]The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..[/quote]

As u will discover in life there r three professions u should never trust, used car salesmen, insurance salesmen and dentists.

sicco

PS Chaos u wanna throw in the bourbon into that mess bro?[/quote]

Wow - Lawyers didn't make the list. :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""IndyBrit""][quote=""LaZy""][quote=""Cammel""]The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..[/quote]

sicco

Wow - Lawyers didn't make the list. :)[/quote]

It's understood :lol:

That is if you consider lawyering a "profession". Sorry, I had to ;)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Unfortunately Ensemble Studios is currently wasting their time not working on anything worthwhile (also known as developing Halo Wars), so it's unlikely we'll see a new Age game anytime soon.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""IndyBrit""][quote=""LaZy""][quote=""Cammel""]The forums are weird, who is HONESTLY leaving?..[/quote]

sicco

Wow - Lawyers didn't make the list. :)[/quote]

It's understood :lol:

That is if you consider lawyering a "profession". Sorry, I had to ;)[/quote]

No offense taken! As someone who's been to law school and even practiced law, I can tell you firsthand that any lawyer who claims to be a "professional" is a fool. Lawyers do nothing that any average person can't; they just know how to cloak their language in impenetrable jargon and bewildering double conditional clauses with exceptions. And professionals are supposed to follow ethical imperatives. A lawyer's only rule is to make as much money as quickly as possible, and by any means necessary, truth or no truth. Principle goes out the window the moment you walk into a law firm; at that point, winning is all that matters.

For some reason, people look at lawyers as if they have some exalted station. This is nonsense--they are nothing but glorified servants. After all, it's the client who is in charge.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Nighthawk22 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""] As someone who's been to law school and even practiced law, I can tell you firsthand that any lawyer who claims to be a "professional" is a fool. Lawyers do nothing that any average person can't; they just know how to cloak their language in impenetrable jargon and bewildering double conditional clauses with exceptions. And professionals are supposed to follow ethical imperatives. A lawyer's only rule is to make as much money as quickly as possible, and by any means necessary, truth or no truth. Principle goes out the window the moment you walk into a law firm; at that point, winning is all that matters.

For some reason, people look at lawyers as if they have some exalted station. This is nonsense--they are nothing but glorified servants. After all, it's the client who is in charge.[/quote]

I wanted to be a lawyer :cry:

lol, it still stands :twisted: