Why can't I get any better?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

yeedman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Why can't I get any better?

Post by yeedman »

Is it because I am old and my reflexes are gone?
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Why can't I get any better?

Post by Palehorse »

Hard to say from a distance. Find someone with which to spar, post some records, game stats, etc Fresh set of eyes usually find areas to work on, little tweaks, habits to improve.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Yeah, I think the best way to improve is to record your games and review where you went wrong - trial and error. Or go to AgeSanctuary and download some recorded games and watch what they do. You can then try to incorporate that into your games.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

try sioux, they are tactical :twisted: employ teepees, tashunke raids.. WAKINA MASS! rifle riders.. sioux is beautiful 8)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

What people don't realize is usually many little things add up to loosing games. Replays are great for finding these.
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

It's the big things and the little things yes. First of all, play lot's of games with all kinds of civs so you get to know the game better. Make sure you know the different counter systems, maps, big strats like fish boom, turtle, rush, trade post,... Playing all civs let's you understand how they work and what the good/bad points are.

And then you get the small things. Iron out the small mistakes from your gameplay. Learn to be faster, that's what this game is all about. Recordings, ask somebody to review ypour games, play vs the clan members. Never be afraid to play someone better or to loose.

And to be fair, the "old" thing matters to. Not in reflexes but just in general gaming skills, in having not the time to improve. "Kids" have more time. I have been a 2nd lieutenant, for more than 2 years because I know all about general gameplay but i dont get the small things sorted out. Just because I dont have the time. When you play 2 or 3 games a week, and no practice at all, you just never really get much better. I t's just an hour of fun every 2 days. So I dont get better but im still enjoying it when I can beat some first lieutenant or captain.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

you have improved greatly over the last year, you knew nothing about build orders, which unit counters what, when to play upgrades etc...

If you would play vs your old 'yourself', you'd beat him each time easily :D

but yes, as we get older, we will never get the clicking speed some younger lads have
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""Tatltael""]try sioux, they are tactical :twisted: employ teepees, tashunke raids.. WAKINA MASS! rifle riders.. sioux is beautiful 8)[/quote]

There a club that now hates me as I AR/BR raids evryone . 160 odd siege AR ftw :evil:
yeedman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by yeedman »

thx for the info guys. I never seem to watch recordings so maybe i'll give that a try
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

gah!! i think if i played me this time lats year with my favourite civ i might lose haha cos dutch was very op last year, but imo ive improved as im faster with the mouse and have better micro, but liek yeedman i cant seem to improve and for me thats at master serg!
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

I think find an OP strat and perfect it and you'll easily hit first luit/captain if you start adapting it to your logic, that's what I did.. Then just adapt..
To get better it's really just fundamentally about knowing when to age to colonial, and knowing what troops to build - it's a rock paper scissor system largely in colonial so it's really quite straight forward, overcomplicating things will lose you seconds and get you killed..
For example look at the VOD by Parfait on his Xbow contain, it's nothing special at all, just logical.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Just because anyone reaches a certain 'rank' doesn't mean that they have gotten better.

Three thing will improve your game:
1. Speed. You must do things fast, if not automatically (ala shift-click)
2. Scouting. Beat what your opponent is doing, not what they are going to do. Aim to have the entire map scouted by 5-6 minutes. Not 50-60%, the whole map.
3. Know the ins-and-outs to civs and how to beat them. Learn their weaknesses so you can avoid them when you play as them and so you can exploit them when you play against them.

Like Drew said, learn why you lose games and fix that. Usually it comes down to remembering to make vils, no idle vils, and spend the res as you get it.

Lastly, just because someone outranks you by 2-3-4 PR don't let that intimidate you or get into your head that, well I'm gonna lose this. I've gone into games with an 11 PR disadvantage with a civ disadvantage and won. Remember this is all for fun, so relax and go kick some tail!
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I agree with everything that's been said here. It is sadly true that the difference between being good and great is the small details, rapid-fire clicking and speed... and that only comes from numerous hours of play almost every day. Obviously if you work or have other commitments you simply won't have the time to invest in that. But you definitely will improve if you master macro by watching recs. I do this all the time; it is much less demanding simply to tune in to a replay than to find a game and wonder whether it will be fair on you or not. I have learned a lot of civs this way. And I even practice using hotkeys and clicking/micro during the replay, just to orient myself so that stuff becomes second nature. Sure, the units in the rec don't respond to my orders, but at least you're on there clicking and thinking to yourself: "OK, what would I do in this situation?" That helps me a lot. Ultimately it comes down to having instincts, and instincts come from repeated experiences in similar circumstances. The more you face the circumstances, the more you know what to do without even really thinking about it.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Forget that idea that you're better by being smart or having logic stuff, imo game experience plays the bigger roll and checking forums and recorded games is very important. Forums are good to know the latest strats, exploits, OP lame stuff, etc. If you cant micro use a civ that needs less micro, like Brit or Russia. If you cant boom use civs like Sioux or Otto. Use what you got ;)
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Forget that idea that you're better by being smart or having logic stuff, imo game experience plays the bigger roll and checking forums and recorded games is very important. Forums are good to know the latest strats, exploits, OP lame stuff, etc. If you cant micro use a civ that needs less micro, like Brit or Russia. If you cant boom use civs like Sioux or Otto. Use what you got ;)[/quote]

And what if you can't micro, can't macro, can't boom and can't rush like me?
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer