TWC civs should never be underestimated ! !

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

xavie
Conscript
Conscript

TWC civs should never be underestimated ! !

Post by xavie »

Hi all,

after going through a japs phase i have recently started playing Aztecs "azt" again, and i forgot how bloody brilliant they are. This got me thinking; why do a lot of players dismiss TWC civs ?

I'll give you some good reasons why, in many ways, TWC expansion is probably the best expansion.

1. The units are the best looking units, particularly the azt, have you seen their head gear ? they win in the fashion stakes.

2. Each civ has formidable rushing strategies that matches or even better's other civs.
Otto rush?? pftt , the azt rush in my opinion is by far more superior; 2 Knight warriors, 3 jags and 9 zaptoc (and 10 mace if you can pull it off) is unstoppable. What can match them in terms of hit and attack points?

Ofcourse you have the sioux raids. Don't you just hate those pesky cav messing up you flow.

Lets not forget the Talolc tommahawk rush? OMG, i didnt have much respect for the civ but when i was hit by the tomma rush i was blown away and found a new admiration for them

3 This links nicely with my next point which is that TWC are by far more unique and individual, each having different playing styles. Unlike the vanilla civs which more or less have similar units. You can tell that the developers really thought about TWC expansion.

4 Yes, we all know the civs are a lot more difficult to master (it took me ages and many lost games to get a feel for azt) , but thats the FUN of it. And once mastered and played by a skillful persons such as moi, they are hard to beat. C'mon admit it they are no push over unlike other civs from vanilla (eg. ports)

SO-- i hope those who doubt or underestimate TWC-- DON'T.
and if your still not convinced and stick to the same ole same ole civ your missing the whole AOE3 experience.

Take a chance-- go on--you got nothing to lose ( well thats a white lie i lost my sergent's rank upteen times learning azt, but you know what 'it was worth it'-- anytime i lose a 1v1 i ask for a rematch and then i play azt and the other guy gets proper roasted with all the trimmings !)

Have fun playing.

xavie
(ranked as a corp but play as a master serg)
Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: TWC civs should never be underestimated ! !

Post by Nighthawk22 »

amen bro, amen..

signed Nighthawk (ranked as a seargent, plays as a...Field Marshall :twisted: )

P.S. I exaggerated on my signature... im sure you've noticed..
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I agree with you that in rushes twc civs can really dominate if you know how to use them. Though i play a lot of treaty games, the aztecs are pretty good in treaty games, I love to use all the big buttons before end of treaty and rush enemy with over 200 military units while keeping all of my villies :twisted: , except that thier only unit to fight skirms are coyote runners that cost wood and after a while i have to start buying wood. Also souix are only good if you have a teammate to build walls for you. The iroquios are pretty good though they do not have the raw power of the aztecs.
Sorry about the long post i have a tendancy to do very long posts

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I <3 TWC civs :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
BenS64
Colonel
Colonel

Post by BenS64 »

i agree with u xavie! Right now im learning aztecs!
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Keep the hype coming! More Aztec players please ;).
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Aztecs are definitely a top 3 civ - in fact at my level they are probably the most op. I'm 0-4 against Sun's Aztecs but have beaten Japs/Indians at higher ranks before. What can beat an early mace/coyote mass?

Iroquois still have potentially one of the quickest rush/raid combos around. Their fast age up with free warhut is still pretty lethal.

Sioux have those dammed cav with their warchief boosting their speed so nothing can catch them! A train wreck in my hands but when used by someone like Tatltael they are seriously fun and dangerous.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
petevas
Private
Private

Post by petevas »

TWC civs do look fun to play (at least sioux i tried for some games) but i have a feeling it will take a long time for me to get familliar with them..
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I guess I've never taken on the WC civs. I've dabbled w/Iro's and Azzy's, and played Sioux probably 10 times (not rated ofc). The problem is that I had TWC probably 2 weeks before I got TAD. TAD was just cooler to me...even India and Japan pre-1.01.

They are definitely fun civs to play and should be learned for the full experience.

Soccerman771 (2nd lt that plays like a corporal)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

All the native civs now smell a bit like broken but oh well. Iro FF should have been adjust instead of being hanged, Sioux wakinas and bow riders should have been adjusted instead of having sucky 100 res 18 range wakinas and OP bowriders which serve as anti HI better than anti cav. Maces got the wrong boost (should have been +0.5x HI with each upgrade the same way ghurkas get range, colo maces were completely ok), ERKs suck, coyos are very good at annihilating the counter system and the firepit dances are available to the fullest too soon, they shouldn't have nerfed the dances so much and boosted the wp dance so much.

Iro should have got a boost overall (by having the FF back, for example) instead of having an in some situations OP rush.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Natives are also good because they can adapt better than any other civ. If you're getting rushed, just throw the firepit on warrior dance and you get free minutemen. If your opponent reaches Fortress, just throw the firepit onto fertility dance and you can mass vills quicker than 2/3 TCs can. In the heat of battle, swing the battle your way instantly by witching to war dance, it's unbelievable how well natives can adapt.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Warrior dance sucks and that adaptability is rather questionable cause if he FFs then he'll come through your town with a big fortress army which you cant stop in colo.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Cool post, Xavie! Make no mistake: I never underestimate the TWC civs. I almost never play as them, but I am scared to death of 'em!!! :neutral:

During my Russian days, I couldn't beat the Aztecs to save my life. With my beloved Germans I have a terrible time with them, too... 6.88 speed coyotes torch everybody, every time, especially when RI can't kill 'em the way they used to (these guys can outrun an uhlan at full gallop, massacre vils, then go stealthy and pwn 30 veteran skirmishers :? !) Pikes should counter them, but when you have 19 protected maces slinging stones around, my pikes all too often bite the dust vainly chasing those man-horses. Then they turn around and munch my xbows.

Sioux are excellent, too. Sure, their eco may leave a lot to be desired, but you can offset it with the lightning-fast raiding. Wakina/axe/BR is also nightmarish to face in fortress. And if the full-on war dance starts, you might as well just resign (wakinas doing 54 base damage? fugeddaboutit) :o

I agree about the headgear, too! TWC civs are definitely some well-dressed dudes. Though I will say those tomas and aennas should put on some more clothes so I can tell them apart :D
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

ROFL @ fashion!
Nighthawk22
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Nighthawk22 »

lol, age 4/5 Aztec units have wicked hats.. The Puma's hats are almost bigger than their bodies.