New patch?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

New patch?

Post by rambo098 »

NERF THE JAPS NOW... AOE3 NEEDS A NEW PATCH SO BAD!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
im so pissed at ensemble studios... why don't they get it?

yummi archer : op
ashis muskets : op
naginata riders : op
the big shirine : op
shrine : op
explorers : op

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: New patch?

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

consulate : OP
unraidable : OP
double shipments : OP
easy water eco : OP
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Couldn't agree with both of you more.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I think that the first patch was good - the fix to the counter system was good but it will have changed the basis of the game somewhat and there needs to be some time for the shift to take effect.

I think that a good German uhlan/xbow mix is almost unbeatable and that ashis do not die quickly enough to their counter.

I still wonder at the lack of a boost to Portugal - cassadors are just like skirms now and no longer unique and they have no upgrade card in age 3. Also, they need a cav shipment in age 2, but card additions do appear to be something they avoid in patches.

Dutch, Spain, Brits do appear to need a slight boost.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I strongly agree about Japan. An ashi nerf is definitely in order. I don't know how they will deal with shrines and the big shrine, but maybe they could nerf the heavenly kami card to reduce the bonus it gives to shrine production. Yumis are even more OP than ashis when fully upgraded; they get a 20% boost card in Age 2, which is better than the "nerfed" 15% boost for ashis. And once the consulate and Golden Pavilion bonuses kick in--plus veteran status--yumi masses beat everything...they are far superior to longbows across the board, and longbows are a strong unit in their own right.

Whenever you play a team game, you notice that Japan's score always surges way ahead of the others. There is definitely an imbalance here... the shrine boom plus an unraidable econ gives them a strong edge as the game goes on. Every other econ needs to watch where they send their villies and commonly garrison them to avoid total economic loss. Not so with the Jappos! They just take one step into their TC and the raiders go away.

As a German player, I of course wouldn't like to see my uhlans nerfed, though I am biased ::/ Xbow/uhlan is dangerous, but not unbeatable like ashi/club/nagi. I think xbow/uhlan works because you need to micro properly, not because it is inherently unbalanced like the Japanese combo. Uhlans only have 190 HP and pikes take 'em down like nothing. Nagis, on the other hand, can take down muskets with their 300 starting HP. Uhlans only became an issue through indirect benefits in the 1.1 TAD patch (TCs don't do 1.5 damage to cav and LI v. cav nerf to .75)... the only direct benefit they got was a speed boost to 6.75 (same as all comparable cav...only cuirs are 6.50) and full attack (37) against vils. If these benefits are taken away, Germany will completely disappear again like it did in TWC (even fewer players than Ports there). Still, I know that Germany does bother a lot of people these days. I'm not sure what steps could be taken to stop that. After all, xbows have already been nerfed. Maybe increase uhlan cost? I don't know. 8O
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

The balance atm is ridiculous. I'd rather have 1 OP civ and 1 strong civ (China & Dutch) than 2 OP civs + 2 very strong civs (Japan, India, Germans, Aztecs).
EndlessPower
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EndlessPower »

well, I guess everyone knows what you guys have just complained about. We all know its true but...keep playing...for fun! :D
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

There's an easy way to 'patch' all this. Fix the PR system. Give less and less point for the civs that have the higher win percentages. People chase PR like it's some kind of gold mine at the end of the rainbow. Imagine if you enter a 1v1 spain vs japan and you're japan and you stand to lose .25 full pr and only gain .0003 if you win. Granted, you'd still have to take into account rank and HC level and all that jazz, but it'd solve the problem.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
dragonshinobi_old
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dragonshinobi_old »

lol i tried to play as germans and i lost. i think ill stick with the ottomans.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's not your fault, dragon... they are not an easy civ to learn! Slow shipment times make surviving the first few minutes a challenge against a rush.

deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]There's an easy way to 'patch' all this. Fix the PR system. Give less and less point for the civs that have the higher win percentages. People chase PR like it's some kind of gold mine at the end of the rainbow. Imagine if you enter a 1v1 spain vs japan and you're japan and you stand to lose .25 full pr and only gain .0003 if you win. Granted, you'd still have to take into account rank and HC level and all that jazz, but it'd solve the problem.[/quote]

That's the best idea I've heard from anyone in a while.

Granted the civ still needs some serious nerfing either way because Japan can be even worse in team games since it has more time to work with. However, your exactly right with the PR thing.
dragonshinobi_old
Sergeant
Sergeant

my main problem is what to send first, 3 wagons, 9 xbows,or 5 uhlans?
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I like the PR overhaul idea. That will take some of the discouragement out of playing against Japan or India. I suppose they will just have to win more games before they get more PR, which shouldn't be that hard because they will still have clubs, ashis, shrines and nagis :o Still, it will penalize the rest of us less when they beat us!

BTW- Dragon, there is a separate thread on German strats where we can talk about the best cards to send. The short answer, though, is "Normally 9 xbow, sometimes 3 SW and almost never 5 uhlan."

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""dragonshinobi""]my main problem is what to send first, 3 wagons, 9 xbows, or 5 uhlans?[/quote]

What civ and map are you playing against? Against booming civs play the 3 wagons. Against rushing civ's play the 9 x-bows. If you get a map and scout bad hunts, send the uhlans. Though I usually only send uhlans as a 6th or 7th card in colonial unless I'm going all cav in a team game.

Just remember against Japan, don't send the two uhlans from shipments to raid, keep them with your main army and use them to take out any yumi that are mixed in with the ashi's...

It took me a long time to learn Germans and the general rule is as soon as you hit the age up to colonial, put all settler wagons on wood. Build 2 houses and a market during the age up (or 1 house and a market) and from the age up wood build a rax and a batch of x-bows or pikes. First colonial card is either 9 x-bows or 3 sw. 2nd is the other card. 3rd is usually 700 wood for houses/pikes and I usually build a 2nd rax/stable/or outpost at the FB so uhlans from shipments go there...
jtackel@hotmail.com

dragonshinobi_old
Sergeant
Sergeant

so against a dutch player it would be better to send the 3 settler wagons? against ottoman 9 xbows?