Fraps related stuff.

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Fraps related stuff.

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I have bought the full version of Fraps but I can't use it because when I'm recording my game sessions with Fraps the FPS goes too low for me to play the games to my fullest potential. I think it's because Fraps records with the same quality as it is in reality so it takes a lot of power off of my computer and from what I know you cant record with lower qualities when using Fraps.

So, I wanted to know if there's any way for me to record using Fraps that doesnt lower my frames that much; like from 60 fps to 30 fps and sometimes even lower.

One thing I've heard about is that people actually use two computers to record gameplay. You play on the other computer and you record with the other. The video form you gaming computer is sent to the other computer in real time and that allows you to run Fraps on the other computer eating up its power but not your gaming computers power. I have 2 computers but it's just that I dont know how to do this kind of a set-up. I was wondering if some of the guys here could help me out with setting up this kind of a set-up or coming up with another solution?

Would remotely logging in with the second cumper be a viable option? Would it work?
Last edited by HeJurmhoanni on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fraps related stuff.

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

your second idea is what quite a few people do: it's the best, you can record with great quality, play at any detail level you want and still not stutter or lag. it's just a bit costly^^
tbh, i would rather use something to record what your screen is currently displaying. like put a hdmi cable beside your dvi one from screen to comp and put the hdmi cable somewhere else. can this work ??
there are also some pieces of hardware which cost 200$ (unfortunateley) which let you record at full hd. most of those are for xbox and ps3, some are for the pc too.
the hardware thing doesn't even need fraps.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Do you mean that the desktop sharing, or remote login or whatever it is, is expencive? I'm not looking to invest any money on this.

Do you mean like you would game on the "something else" that is connected to my computer via HDMI and record in DVI or what?

My graphics card has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI ports. My screen only has one DVI port.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I think it's problem solved for now at least. I found out that you should always install Fraps on another hard drive than where your games are, so I reinstalled it and now I get no FPS loss when recording.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

How much FPS did you set fraps to record to?
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

don't take me wrong hejurm, i didn't suggest you to do anything of that. i just listed the possibilities :)
and yes, fraps should always be installed on another partition
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Now I'm able to record in 60 FPS full-size. Before re-installing Fraps I couldnt even record in 30 FPS without lag.

yeah yeah, Aaryn, I just wanted to make sure if i understood the possibilities correctly :)
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Also note that if you are low on memory available that fraps.will start lsgging really badly... I think you need ro have at least 50 gB availa le to be able to.record without lagg.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

DXtory is a good alternative though it is not so simple as FRAPS
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Comadevil wrote: DXtory is a good alternative though it is not so simple as FRAPS
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting it, but atm i think Fraps will do. From what I know, with DXtory you can record in lower qualities, so the files wouldn't take up so much space.