Help wanted

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Help wanted

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

As some of you may know I'm looking to upgrade my 4 year old PC. Well I decided not to bother upgrading and just buy a new rig! :) But as I have never done a complete build before I was hoping to check some things with you guys. I've done my research and decided that this is the build for me:

Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case + Antec CP850 850W Modular PSU - *ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH ANTEC 1200 P183 AND P193 CASES*

Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE III EXTREME X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio Republic Of Gamers ATX Motherboard

CPU: Intel i7 930 2.8GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

CPU fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Ram: Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) for i7 Motherboards

Graphics:
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card (i know but):

Monitors:
3 x BenQ G2420HDBE 24" LCD Monitor 16:9 Widescreen Full HD 1920x1080 300cd/m2 40,000:1 (Dynamic) 5ms DVI-D / VGA 2yr Onsite SWAP Warranty - Gloss Black (will set this up in eyefinity)

Hard drive:Hitachi Deskstar 0S02573 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache retail boxed kit

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Complete package - 1 PC - DVD - English - United Kingdom

Optical Drives:
2 x Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM with LightScribe SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black

Well thats the build I'm looking at. I intend to have 3 monitors in eyefinity which is why I choose the bulky 5970. I think I have chosen quality parts but like I said I'm this is my first time so I guess I'm looking for some help from experienced hands who can suggest and changes, upgrades or point out obvious incompatibilities. Any hints or tips for when I'm putting this all together would be welcome too.

I have been working a lot of overtime lately and this PC marks the end of that and hopefully the start of playing some more with you guys. I have played a few SC2 games with clan members and am looking forward to being able to play many more.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: Help wanted

Post by Comadevil »

For what do u need this overkill mainboard?? USB and SATA 3?

Well it is not the best time to buy graphics card, since new ATI (or now AMD) cards will get out in October, but there is almost never a right time. Exvept the Strokey 5870 ;)
Also i don't think that u need the most expensive RAM. But if u wanna go for it: DO IT

Or are u overclocking ur systems?
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Well.... that's a pretty awesome build, I must say. Glad to see you going for modular on the psu. Be sure to get decent case fans as well though, cheapo case fans will sound really bad after even just a month in a case like the 1200, it's not the quietest case around. Having said that, it's perfect for the type of build you are going for.
I could add that an SDD would be nice, but I can't go against my opinion that they are still way over priced however nice they are.

As for the build itself, spend plenty of time checking cable runs and hardware slots to find the best routes for a tidy build and max airflow. With my case I managed to run all the cables between the mobo and the outer case panel, this is the best way to do it if you can.

As an after-thought, I see you have listed 2 optical drives, neither of these is a bluray reader, not to sure if you use bluray but may be something to consider.

If you need any advice on the build let me know, it's my kind of thing and I'd be happy to help.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

great great really great, loving your components that you chose^^
i'm wtih strokey here: get a 60 or 80gb SSD, exchange the cpu cooler for the newest noctua one, and don't forget to get some nice case fans (they are like 5€ each)

i also love the cpu you chose and the crossfire gpu.

you seem to have alot of money mind sharing with us? :-P
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Well as the IT expert here, having checked your hardware etc, it looks like a very good build Chris. My only concern is when you start to assemble the beast as I think the extra fingers you have may, I say may cause some concern ie space when moving inside the case. What I recommend is that you invite me down.

I'll be more than happy to build your machine for you, all I ask as a favour in return would be one large curry and a badger set. I found that drinking and eating while building helps as I can notice where I have dropped my food or drink.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

LOL Drew
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Lol that brainwashed me :P
Last edited by jerom on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Cheers for the help guys, a SDD would be cool but the budget has been stretched quite a lot already, but I will look into it because I don't want any regrets after I have finished this build. I may have gone overkill with some of the stuff but I want to run eyefinity with max graphics and for this build to last for a while. I figured spend more now and not have to bother spending any more for a while.

Don't have any blue ray dvds and I find them kind of expensive but I may swap a drive out for the blue ray later on.

I am planning to overclock, it would be a waste of the MB not too, but probably not until I have had it running smoothly for a few months first.

I thought the Antec has 6 in built fans already, are you guys saying I will need to buy more as well?

I wasn't sure about the cpu fan either so I will look into the one you suggested, thanks.

I know its a lot of money but its kind of a late birthday/early Christmas present plus a reward for loosing an entire summer working overtime (was only minimum wage but it adds up). Hopefully this build will last a while and be easily upgradable so its more of an investment rather than a waste of money. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :roll:
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Sounds like an awesome gaming machine dude. Im sure ull have alot of fun with it. Let us know what the eyfinity feels like when u get enough gaming time on it :)

out
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Well thought I would update you guys, I have ordered my new PC and will be building it this weekend! Hopefully nothing will go wrong and I won't blow it up by doing something noobish (like hiring AL to build it).

A few changes from the above, mainly going for 22 inch monitors instead of 24 and a corsair A70 cpu cooler. Also went for the newer Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 case as it has more cooling power and looks the business.

Will post some pics when its done for any of you who are interested.

Wish me luck!

:D :D :D
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Chris , you going for something that I was as well , not sure to add 3D or not . Downside is I dont have the money =(
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

GL adder. My the evil forces of static electricity stay clear of ur limbs and may the upper 2 remain firm and steady whislt inserting all the male to female housings. May software humbly accept its hardware niches and both work in harmony, producing all necessary 0s and 1´s for all eternity.

Also, may ur parents never find out the true cost of this endevour and remain in bliss with the new upcoming electricty bills.

My friends list egearly awaits ur return. Lets just hope we can improve our 2v2 placements

out