2 upgrade or not 2 upgrade

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: 2 upgrade or not 2 upgrade

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I was looking at the ATI card as the 460 and 465 I heard was a bit understrength but I guess the choice is between 3D and eyefinity. As I already have to wear a pair of glasses that aren't 3D I think dual 5850s and 3 19 inch monitors would be a good way to go. Though I am looking forward to hearing what 3D is like and if its the future for games.

A good thing to do Lazy, might just be to buy another 460 for cheap a few years down the line in the hopes that future games will take advantage of that SLI power. I'm not sure if dual graphics cards are entirely worth it right now as I'm not sure the games are all that demanding. Games seem to be limited to running on on the power of the current consoles as developing a game purely for the PC has no where near the market potential as developing a game for the Xbox and PS3.[/quote]

Why get dual 5850's when you could just get a single 5870 and use the ifinity system like I did?

But then again, I got a 5870 in december for £240, and they are still currently retailing at £300++ muhahahaha!
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ the way 2 go is what Nvidia call 3D surround. yeps 3 monitors in 3D :) but 4 that u do need the gtx 480. their reraching almost the magic number of a billion pixels

I just hope that a) I can crank up he setts on SC2 2 MAX and actually find the 3D thing fun ingame and in movies.

Since I dont c many (zero in fact) members here having the 3D for gaming I shall keep yall posted.

Daddy is excited. Me horny. Me luv u long time........me need 2 stop drinking beer and keep it 3D and not double vission all the time

muhahahaha

out
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

OK I give in! I agree, although only because it makes sense, that a format would b beneficial to a "new" experience with ma PC.

Should I format it b4 or after the new components (which are new RAM and grafix card)?

out
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

IT doesn't really matter since ur old and new graphics card are NVIDIA. But instll the newest graphics driver
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I was looking at the ATI card as the 460 and 465 I heard was a bit understrength but I guess the choice is between 3D and eyefinity. As I already have to wear a pair of glasses that aren't 3D I think dual 5850s and 3 19 inch monitors would be a good way to go. Though I am looking forward to hearing what 3D is like and if its the future for games.

A good thing to do Lazy, might just be to buy another 460 for cheap a few years down the line in the hopes that future games will take advantage of that SLI power. I'm not sure if dual graphics cards are entirely worth it right now as I'm not sure the games are all that demanding. Games seem to be limited to running on on the power of the current consoles as developing a game purely for the PC has no where near the market potential as developing a game for the Xbox and PS3.[/quote]

Why get dual 5850's when you could just get a single 5870 and use the ifinity system like I did?

But then again, I got a 5870 in december for £240, and they are still currently retailing at £300++ muhahahaha![/quote]

Having duals just sounds cool but I think I will start off with a single, I saw a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 TOXIC Edition 2GB GDDR5 version for £250, seems like a very nice card, dunno if it will be better than a 5870 1gig version though.

Think I will wait till Lazy has told us how good 3D is before making a decision though.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

spent all day yesterday making sure all back ups had been done properly

gonna start right now 2 format and reinstall Vista on ma PC

wish me luck and hope 2 c yall soon :/

out.....hopefully not 4 long
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

why not get win 7? vista is obsolete by now^^
would give you the last edge over your old computer. will you build it all by yourself?
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Win 7 costs money except if u want to use a pirated version or u get it somehow for free or only a few bucks as student
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

back

and working

windows now loads in like 30 secs for me

muahhahahaha

cant w8 4 da RAM 2 arrive

out
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Right then, after work daddy went past ma local PC store and inquired about Windows 7. It appears that an upgrade version from Vista is actually rather cheap (when compared 2 the brand new ver). So I bought it. I now have a box with both the 32bit and the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Since my current Vista version is 32 bit I was wondering what version 2 install.

This whole project has almost gotten outta control, but I do feel that with new RAM (2---»4Gig), new graphics card and upgrading 2 Win 7, that my PC whould / should feel and run much better. Ive almost gotten a new PC :O

out
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

64 bit
U have no probs upgrading to more RAM then, also i had a small blunder in my recommendation above. U get a graphics card with 1024 MB i presume. THat means with 32 bit only 3 GB (or less) of ur 4 GB are available to Windows. SO here the 64 bit version is the right version

[quote=""LaZy""]
This whole project has almost gotten outta control, but I do feel that with new RAM (2---»4Gig), new graphics card and upgrading 2 Win 7, that my PC whould / should feel and run much better. Ive almost gotten a new PC :O
[/quote]

I know that quite well :P
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

yes sorry lazy i forgot to say it, the upgrade from vista to win 7 is extremely cheap, no reason not to get it^^
about 64 bit go for it, as long as you don't have any old hardware which requires 32bit version. you need all system programs in 64 bit(antivir stuff, gpu driver,etc.) normal programs can be in 32bit too (for example ther is only a 32 bit version of firefox, 64bit firefox comes in november) 32 bit games also work flawlessly in 64bit environment
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

yay ma new GPU and ma RAM have arrived.

AS im installing the new RAM, I asked myself a question. Can I not put the new 2Gig cards and also keep my 1Gig cards. I have 4 slots and would put them in 2:1:2:1 positions instead of 1:0:1:0 as b4.

Is this doable and /or advisable....both are DDR2´s and run at 1066

out
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Well, it's fine to be honest. And if you put them in the correct channels, you may even be able to run them in dual mode, although I am only about 95% on that. Let us know how it works out.