Reinstalling the Operating System

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Reinstalling the Operating System

Post by etrips888 »

Hi guys, I was hoping maybe some of you could offer some advice on what to do. I recently tried fixing a problem with iTunes, but ever since my computer has been on the fritz with random issues here and there, but they are really bugging me, so I want to try to reinstall the operating system so I can just start clean. But I had a few questions that I wanted to see if you guys could answer.

1st: I just downloaded a Windows 7 beta type release, and was thinking of going with that instead of going back with vista. Is that a smart move?

2nd: I'm in the process of moving, so a lot of my stuff is in storage back at school, including the disks that came with my laptop and my aoe disks :( Is it possible to save the files from aoe onto my external hard drive so I won't need the disks?

3rd: I was told that I could also try using an F11 reinstall, so it just takes the computer back to the factory settings, which I believe would include all of the HP programs and such that came with the computer. Do you see this as a better option? I would reinstall them on my own, but again I don't have access to the disks for another 2 weeks

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.
Thanks!
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Reinstalling the Operating System

Post by wicked_assassin »

[quote=""etrips888""]
3rd: I was told that I could also try using an F11 reinstall, so it just takes the computer back to the factory settings, which I believe would include all of the HP programs and such that came with the computer. Do you see this as a better option? I would reinstall them on my own, but again I don't have access to the disks for another 2 weeks

[/quote]

choose 3de, sometimes it's an other F number or key combination... somtimes the option doesn't exist.

gl
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

seriously, forget vista and forget any BETA operatin systems or release candidates, i'd suggest sticking to XP atm with Service Pack 3 and a nice windows update pack(available at certain windows community sites)
if you wanna have windows 7 wait until the full release

just format your HDD, i can easily do that with the windows XP cd in my drive and "enabled First Boot Device: CD-Rom" on your motherboard

now your computer will ask you if he shall start the CD which ins in your drive

easy as that follow the steps there, you can format your HDD and after that is finished just install Windows XP, again it will prompt then your computer starts, it will ask for your CD-Key etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can isntall Age of Empires 3 with all its exapasions by simply copying the current folder your game is installed in onto your external HDD and copy it back when you reinstalled your Windows
but also store the registry paths of the game!
Go on Start->Run-> Type "regedit" and press enter and search for the files age of empires created, copy them and put them back once windows is reinstaleld ;)

though, as you correctly said, your best bet is to reinstall it again after you reinstalled Windows of course ;)
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

But I don't think I have XP, my computer came with vista :(
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""etrips888""]But I don't think I have XP, my computer came with vista :([/quote]

then use your vista :-P
i bet it's the same, regarding installation and deinstallation/formtaing etc.
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

if ur on vista you can just run the ISO with a mounting program(I use Power ISO pm if u want a full version copy for free :)). Im actually chaning my OS to windows 7 nextweek after my last exam :). If you wanna wait till then i can tell you how it goes.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""NitroZ""] If you wanna wait till then i can tell you how it goes.[/quote]

The same as Vista because 7 is an improved Vista nothing less and nothing more
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

[quote=""NitroZ""]if ur on vista you can just run the ISO with a mounting program(I use Power ISO pm if u want a full version copy for free :)). Im actually chaning my OS to windows 7 nextweek after my last exam :). If you wanna wait till then i can tell you how it goes.[/quote]

Are you going to be getting the full version for Windows 7?
What does that ISO program do?
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

windows 7 sucks IMO did not last 24 hours for me XP is easy to use so went back to that. if you do want windows 7 get the beta then "mod" it to have it for ever.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Windows 7 is an improved version of Vista as coma said. Personaly, I would install Vista as you have a working version and the Beta of 7 runs out in a couple of months (unless they have extended it).
As for drivers, a lot of them will be dealt with by the vista install, other ones you can download if you can't access the disks.
As for AOE, you should be able to run it from another drive or copy it to your clean drive after install and use either a no-cd hack (I didn't recommend this btw ;) )or a mounted drive image.
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

If you're able to get hold of your disks;

Restart your computer, press your BIOS key. (should be included in the motherboard manual)

Change your boot sequence from your HDD to your optical drive first.

You should see this message.

"Press any key to boot from CD..."

Press a key and follow the instructions on screen, as for partitioning your hard drive/s, I wouldn't know how you want your system laid out. When you'd make a partition, format it using NTFS, select the partition you wish to reinstall Vista to, and away you go.

If you don't have your disks;

You've just made life real hard for yourself. Try to grab your disks if you can. You can use an image-mounted ISO burner, as suggested above, but the procedures for using them is quite difficult unless you really know what you're doing.

Also, without your disks, you're going to have problems getting any drivers for your components. Your motherboard or graphics card driver disk provides an LAN driver, which is essential to get you back online, that's where the fun begins.
As far as I know, you can't download drivers unless you're connected to the internet.
OR
You can download the drivers from a PC already on the internet, store them on a removable storage device and transfer it across.
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

[quote=""etrips888""][quote=""NitroZ""]if ur on vista you can just run the ISO with a mounting program(I use Power ISO pm if u want a full version copy for free :)). Im actually chaning my OS to windows 7 nextweek after my last exam :). If you wanna wait till then i can tell you how it goes.[/quote]

Are you going to be getting the full version for Windows 7?
What does that ISO program do?[/quote]

Yes im getting the full version. The ISO program is used to mount the Windows 7 ISO so you dont have 2 burn it on a disk. My friend told me that if ur on Windows XP then you have to burn it on a CD and install it on bootup. But if ur on vista you can just run it from an ISO program.
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

In Vista on reboot tap f11 and it will bring up a menu to boot from drive of choice!
aka~Rubber_Chuck