32-bit or 64-bit?

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

GreenDude
Captain
Captain

32-bit or 64-bit?

Post by GreenDude »

Hi everyone, I am building a new computer for the first time and I am pretty sure I can do it. I have upgraded my current system and my dad's before so I have have and ideo what I am doing. Right now, I am debating on whether to get Vista as a 64-bit or 32-bit. I have always used 32-bit and I am a little nervous about switching over too 64-bit with the program/driver issues. I thrive on freeware, with only one piece of software I payed for on my computer, AOE3 :D . I use freeware programs like Empire of Sports, MediaCoder, Paint.NET, OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird/Sunbird, Threatfire and AVG Free a lot. I am concerned that I might loose some of these programs (and others) if I switch to 64-bit. :? . I am tempted to switch by a motherboard bundle which comes with Windows Ultimate 64-bit and a AMD Phenom X4. If I decided against it, I will either get Windows Premium 32-bit or 64-bit. So far here is what I am looking at:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9500 or AMD Phenom II X4 920
MOBO: Gigabyte or ASUS (depending on which CPU & OS I choose)
HD: 320GB - 500GB (maybe 1TB, depending on the amount of money I have left)
Case: Raidmax Sagitta (w/ 450w PSU, 1 80mm fan, and 1 120mm fan)
Regular DVD Writer

Also, do you think another 120mm fan would be worth adding? I am on a tight budget with about $650. Any comments will be great :D
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

32bit would be fine unless you want to use 4gb of ram or more.
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Post by GreenDude »

Yeah, but as I said, there is a motherboard bundle with Windows Ultimate 64-bit. Would I have that many issues on it?
Oh and I do plan 4 gigs of RAM.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

don't worry, many good freeware software gota 64-bit version ;-)
more of a problem is old hardware, but what do you want with old ahrdware in a new pc..

strokey blodfeld is right, the biggest gain is not only that your 64bit cpu can achieve what he's meant to, but the thing with 64bit OS people are after is the use of more than 4gb of ram

i currently have 4gb of ram(32bit OS) and can use 3,3gb out of it, not too much of a big deal, it really shines if you got more than 4gb ram,but i don't see any reasons for that besides of:

professional photoshopping
server computer which have 8gb ram

since your pc comes with 64bit pre-installed, you can leave it like that if you like
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

I wouldn't buy Vista anymore.

I would make a dual-boot installation of 32-bit XP and a 64-bit Windows 7 Beta or WIndows 7 RC which gets released in May.
32-bit i wouldn't buy anymore since it's time is over. U should consider that the OS isn't only for today but also for a few years to come
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Coma makes a good point here. I think you can still DL the Beta of Windows 7, and so you can use it free until release which is expected towards August/September this year.
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Post by GreenDude »

I am not too fond of going back to XP and of doing a dual-boot. How stable is the beta of Windows 7?
@aaryn: the OS comes with the mobo and cpu, not pre-installed though ;)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

The XP is only for Games which don't work on 64 bit.
7 is a improved VIsta so quite stable and isn't such a resource hog as Vista.
Vista is a waste of money imo because 7 comes now.
In May comes the Release Candidate out.
Else u should wait till July. If u buy then Vista as OEM as u do it now u can upgrade without costs to 7
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Post by GreenDude »

[quote=""Comadevil""]The XP is only for Games which don't work on 64 bit.
7 is a improved VIsta so quite stable and isn't such a resource hog as Vista.
Vista is a waste of money imo because 7 comes now.
In May comes the Release Candidate out.
Else u should wait till July. If u buy then Vista as OEM as u do it now u can upgrade without costs to 7[/quote]
So wait if I buy let's say Windows Premium 32-bit OEM right now, I can get an upgrades to its Windows 7 counterpart for free? Or do I have to wait? Also the Windows 7 beta is free, right? Will it run AOE3, OpenOffice and Firefox. I can wait for Windows 7 on its beta if it can run those programs :-P Sorry about my noob questions, I really haven't looked into Windows 7 ::/ . Also repeating my question, is the Windows 7 beta stable? Thanks for all of your help guys!
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yes, it will run what you want it to, and yes it is pretty stable. (More so than XP and Vista IMO).

As for the upgrade for free from OEM.... didn't kow that, check with coma, but it would be cool as I have OEM.
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Post by GreenDude »

Yeah, OEM is so much cheaper than retail so there is no point in not get OEM. After all, Microsoft doesn't have very good support.
Oh and I just checked on the Windows 7 site and it says that beta downloads are no longer available, it just offers products keys :( . Is there anyway to get it still?
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Torrent?

I have only the german beta.
Else wait till May, it leaked that then the Release Candidate will be released for public download and testing. U can use this version till 01.06.10

The upgrade is only for PCs with preinstalled Vista so far. Maybe it will be extended to all versions as done when Vista was released etc.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx ... 609&pgno=0

But even if i repeat myself. I wouldn't buy Vista anymore. Even a Microsoft employee who came to us to show the advantages of .NET had Windows 7 beta on his laptop. I think that says it all....
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

So coma, I am planning to buy a new laptop( going to college )so you think I should wait till Windows 7 gets realeased before buying it?
A master Piece done by cleeduz
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

No then u have to wait till November/December i guess. ;)
I would wait till July (if u can wait) then u should be able to buy a laptop with free upgrade guarantee from Vista to 7. Of course when u are buying it u should make sure such guarantee is included.
This guarantee program of MS is for PC/Laptop vendors who worry that they cannot sell their PCs because people wait till the next windows version gets released
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

on the 05.05.09 W7 RC gets released