Hopefully buying a new computer, need some advice!!!!

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Hopefully buying a new computer, need some advice!!!!

Post by Highlander999 »

Thanks Jim, that is awesome of you. Time to take this to my dad and negotitate money with him :p As it stands this computer leaves me with exactly £3 :p
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Be careful, you wouldn't be able to use it cause of the electricity bills :p
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Highlander999""]Thanks Jim, that is awesome of you. Time to take this to my dad and negotitate money with him :p As it stands this computer leaves me with exactly £3 :p[/quote]

They may advise you to upgrade to 600watt PSU, but 450 is enough IMO (as long as it's not a cheapy cheapy PSU).
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

What's a PSU?

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Be careful, you wouldn't be able to use it cause of the electricity bills :p[/quote]

The uni pay all my utility bills :D :D :D
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

PSU = Power SUpply
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

OK cheers for that RJ (congrats on 1K of posts btw)

This is what someone else said on another forum:

"Just a couple of thoughts on the 64-bit processor.

If you want to use your computer for more than about 1-2 years, I'd strongly suggest getting a 64-bit processor. You can still get the 32-bit version OS and wait for Windows 7 and get the 64-bit version then (you will need to clean install, not upgrade, most probably). The main issues with 64-bit processors is getting compatible device drivers. If you have really old hardware you want to interface with your computer, then you should do some compatibility checks to make sure that there are 64-bit drivers available. Google should be your friend. But with RAM getting cheaper, more and more intensive applications requiring more memory will be developed, meaning your 4gigs of RAM could look very small very quickly. For example, about a decade ago a 12gig HDD was a luxury. Today, I can fill up a 160gig hard disk without too much trouble. You can expect the same with RAM usage.

Secondly, Microsoft officially supports 4gigs of RAM for a 32-bit version of Vista. You don't get all this RAM, though, because it uses some of the address space for other stuff that is not used by your user programs+OS. Theoretically, a 32-bit processor has 2^32 addressable locations, which is 4 GB. Your actual availability will probably be less. Also, remember Vista takes up a ton of RAM just by itself, so you may end up having something like 1.5 GB of RAM available if you get a 32-bit processor with 3 GB of RAM for your applications"

????????????????
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

The proccessor in the spec I posted is 64bit, and the OS is Vista 64bit. The hard drive is also 500gig. Basically what the guy in your last post wrote is more or less correct.
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

Ok good. Sorry if I appear like a totally idiot with all this, but I suck with anything technical. I blame the Scottish air ;)
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

I also am buying a computer and had a quick question. It is a Thinkpad t500 that i am getting. i was wondering if an ati raedon mobility 3650 is a decent card. Im not buying the computer with gaming in mind, it is for school, but it would be nice to play the occasional Age or some othersuch game on it.