VIsta XP Tips and tricks?

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

VIsta XP Tips and tricks?

Post by Macavity »

--- I just bought my first laptop yesterday (welcome to the 21st century Mac lol). Anyway it's a Toshiba 15.4" Satellite A215-S7416 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53 and 2 gig of memory, BUT CAME LOADED WITH VISTA BASIC. (and a bunch of crap)
---First of all I can't even figure out how to turn it off using Vista, secondly does it use msconfig where I can disable things that start at startup? And does anyone know of a good tips and tricks page I can look at with ways to speed the whole OS up?
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: VIsta XP Tips and tricks?

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Most computer companies offer anXP downgrade! Thats the first thing I would do!
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I would certainly want to switch to XP. I wouldn't use vista for at least a year or so. Also, gaming applications run at a lower performance on vista than XP.
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

[quote=""Macavity""]
secondly does it use msconfig where I can disable things that start at startup? And does anyone know of a good tips and tricks page I can look at with ways to speed the whole OS up?[/quote]

I've heard mixed things about Vista but most of the negatives come from people who have never used it. That should tell you something. I used it, but do not have it installed on any of my machines. My initial thoughts were that it looked to fancy and wanted my old classic configuration.

As far as turning off applications, I have been using Ace Utilities for years and very happy with how my system runs. You can try it free for one month (full version) and to purchase is only $30.00. My computer is over 5 years old but runs great at decent graphics levels. Granted I put it together myself with reliable hardware, Ace Utilities keeps my registry clean and my computer free of junk files / broken shortcuts. Not to mention you can easily uninstall software, recover from a crashed system, delete and save cookies, clear old internet files, and set what programs you want booted at startup with the push of a button (or set to automatic maintenance mode).

Download here: LINK HERE

I give it 5 out of 5 stars, very easy to use with a basic and advanced feature. So easy, my grandpa can use it but very effective. Yes, it is compatible with Vista.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I've used vista, and it's not that I dislike it, it is a proven fact that games run with better performance on XP than vista.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

I dislike Vista because of this

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... _cost.html

I also will use vista onlz for gaming purposes when the time comes when u have to use it . For the rest i will use Linux
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

Can you run Age of Empires on Linux? If so, Craz3n should take notes...
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

No only Dual Boot is possible. I would not even play games with Linux except a few games which also take Linux community in account like WoW (togehter with Cedega)