Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Troubleshooting Installation

Post by GreenDude »

Hey, guys it is me, GreenDude :-P
My computer harbored a virus for a year that I was to lazy to get rid off (1 for virus, 0 for anti-virus). It kept me from downloading from webpages. So anyways, I do what any sensible lazy person would by backing up my files and reinstalling Vista. However, my computer refused to install TWC and then, when I tried reinstalling it, AOE3. So I wiped my computer again and started all over agian. On a computer forum, I found a post that helped me solve my problem

1. Install the game on another computer. I used my dad's computer which already had it installed.

2. On the computer that you were able to install it on, go to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games. Copy the Age Of Empires III folder and paste it into an external hard drive.

3. Connect the external hard drive to the computer that you wish to play on. Find the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games directory. If you do not have the directory, just create one. Paste the Age Of Empires III folder from the external hard drive, into the Microsoft Games folder.

4. Install DirectX 9.0

5. Now go back to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III

6. Exit the game and insert Disc 1. Select Install. Hopefully since all of the files are already on your computer it will not get hung up on art3.bin or any other file for that matter.

7. After installation has completed, launch the game.

8.If there are textures are missing Go back to your external hard drive. Go into the Age Of Empires 3 folder and highlight all of the files. Copy them into the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3 folder that is already on your computer. If it asks you if you want to overwrite any files, say "Yes to all"

Now you are free to play! :D
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Troubleshooting Installation

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Nicely done, although I had a few install issues with vista64, I managed to find work-arounds. I had problems install AOE3, TWC and TAD, but once you know the work-arounds it's fine.
My only regret is that I didn't log how I did it so I would need to search for the details again.
GreenDude
Captain
Captain

Re: Troubleshooting Installation

Post by GreenDude »

Yeah, I did it just today and I figured other people my have trouble with AOE3 in the future (and so I remember) so I posted it. I forgot to say, are having trouble with missing sound like me, try copying the sound file and replacing it after the last step.