Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Blofelds re-build

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Update:

I recieved delivery of my 2 hard drives and Vista 64bit today. I have nearly everything installed now and am currently updating the TAD patch. A little note about Vista 64: it's a bit of a nightmare trying to get AOE installed on it, but it's do-able. I have read reports of some people having no problems, and others having several problems.

I had 2 problems which I managed to get around in the end, it was a problem for about 30 mins though while I found out how to get around it.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I never had a problem installing AOE on my V64 machine. Worked straight away. The only the difference is in running the Fan Patch launcher, but that may be Vista itself, not necessarily V64. Make sure you're running "as administrator".
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I had a really hard time getting my Vista 64bit computer to read the install disc. When it did, it would stop on various files with nonsense like "can't file such and such file". I'm talking days of searching the internet for solutions and trying different things.

Then, I figured my disc was scratched up, and bought a new one, but that didn't work either. Even now, my computer won't start up AOE sometimes and then it'll start up with no real understanding on my part of why it starts.

I ended up copying all of the files onto a flash drive and was able to install from there.

I tried the administrator thing too.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yeah, I was a little puzzled with the admin thing as I am the admin on my loging. But you have to choose to run the program as admin which is different again. There is a thread on AS on how to do this.

Shizle, what error messages are you getting? Perhaps I could point you in the right direction.........
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

This thing what you call strange is called UAC=User Account Control.
If u use IE as ur favourite browser, the IE runs with very low rights, so the surfing with IE is secure.
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Thanks Strokey, I'm pretty much OK now, I guess. I have the game installed, it just took me forever.

But, if one of my kids unloads the game, I have trouble loading it back up. Couple days ago, I found that someone had gotten out of the game and it took me 4-5 tries (45 min) to load the game again. For some reason, my hard drive doesn't recognize the disc when I put it in. In this case, you can't go to the disc and right click to "open" the *.exe file as administrator. Big mystery to me.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Actually, I found ONE thing that I can't do anymore. My HP PSC120 Printer/Scanner/Copier won't scan. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Still prints. Still makes copies. Won't scan.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Ok, I got the sound card and SATA DVD/RW today, so I decided to tidy up the cables inside the case, here's a pic of how it turned out.
I'm pretty much done now until I get the money for my graphics cards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

It's not too bad cable-wise, but I think when I get the new graphics cards I'll strip the whole system down and re-do the cabling.... I'm not 100% happ with it.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]It's not too bad cable-wise, but I think when I get the new graphics cards I'll strip the whole system down and re-do the cabling.... I'm not 100% happ with it.[/quote]

Strokey, it looks a lot tidier than mine when I built from scratch! Providing the wires aren't interfering with any fans (done that - ouch) and you have decent airflow and temps then cable management becomes purely ascetic (or anal, depending on your mentality)!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yes, your right. Its' not too bad. I just know it could be better. When I rebuild with the graphics cards I think I'll drill some holes in the mobo tray, put some rubber gromets in and run all the wires between the main case and the side panel so it's all hidden. I've seen a few with no wires showing at all and it looks great.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

seems like you're nearly finished strokey, speaking of the graphics card, get the 216 version of the GTX260 or the HD4870(1GB) :P
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Pimp my PC...