Blofelds re-build

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Blofelds re-build

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Hey guys, just thought I would post up a few pics of my re-build in progress for those of you who may be interested. I'll add 1 pic per post with a description to make it easier:

1st pic:

This one is just a picture of my first parts delivery including:

700watt modular power supply. I wanted a modular PSU for a long time, I think it makes cable management so much neater and easier to do.

CPU. The proccessor is an Intel core 2 quad: Q6600 (runs at 2.4ghz). One of the best bang for buck CPU's IMO.

OCZ memory. 2x2gb of 800mhz DDR2 memory to run in dual mode. Sweet!

Motherboard, I went with Asus as I find them to be easy to work with and pretty reliable. I've gone for a more basic board (still a good board though). My last one had Wi-Fi etc, I'm liking this onme though, and it still has crossfire options too.

CPU cooler, Freezer 7 pro. I had one in my last setup and was very happy with the temps I was getting. One of the best value for money coolers out there, and probably the most popular.

Case. I love this case, it's the Coolermaster Cosmos S. It's an absolute beast with tonnes of space and potential. Rock on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StrokeyBlofeld on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: Blofelds re-build

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Just to give you some idea of why I never use a stock cooler. Although it will do the job, a better after-market cooler will bring your temps down much lower. As you can see from the pic, the size difference is a lot, and if you are looking for an aftermarket cooler, check it will fit on your board and also check you have enough space in your case, some smaller cases will not be big enough to accomodate a larger cooler.

(On my first boot-up my cpu temps were idling at 17 degrees after an hour of running). A new setup will take around 200 hours to break in properly before you get a decent true reading though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

This is the first time I've used a socket 775. Most sockets are pretty much the same principal, so there isn't a lot of difference, release the retaining bar, line up the cpu with the markers, push back the retaining bar and your done. The only real difference with AMD sockets and Intel are that intel use a cover plate over the cpu. I quite like this idea.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I'm really please with my new modular power supply. 700 watts (although wattage isn't really the best way to measure your psu). It came with pretty much every cable I could need, and some are doubled up so I have spares or can add them for extra hardware, and can can be configured to fit just about any motherboard as the board power cables are split, so depending on your power requirements, this unit can cope. (Perhaps not for a dual CPU board though).

This particular supply is made by Jeantech and is SLI/Crossfire ready.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]This is the first time I've used a socket 775. Most sockets are pretty much the same principal, so there isn't a lot of difference, release the retaining bar, line up the cpu with the markers, push back the retaining bar and your done. The only real difference with AMD sockets and Intel are that intel use a cover plate over the cpu. I quite like this idea.[/quote]

Yeah, I remember sweating bullets when I built my pc. I had never done it before, and had been warned to not bend any pins on the CPU. Then, to have a cover/door that you had to PUSH DOWN ON to get the latch back, was quite nerve-wracking for a pc-building n00b.

I liked the simplicity of the AM2+ cpu socket on the one I built for my dad.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""RascalJones"]
I liked the simplicity of the AM2+ cpu socket on the one I built for my dad.[/quote]

Yes, the AM2 sockets, and most AMD sockets are very simple. You really cannot get it wrong. Line up the arrow on the chip with the arrow on the socket, drop the chip in and push down the lever to lock in place.
Last edited by StrokeyBlofeld on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yes, it is a total mess of wires in here at the moment, but it doesn't concern me at this point. This pic is everything linked up temporarily for a first boot, just to check everything is ok and all harware is oporational and recognised in the BIOS.
After this stage I am ready to tidy the wires which will take me a few hours to sort out properly. This pic was taken on thursday, and I did some tidying up this morning so I'll post up another pic of the cable management.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Ok, here's the pic of my first cable management session this morning. I routed a lot of the wires through the mobo tray to sit between the case shell and the side panel. Took a while and around 40 cable ties, but I am happy with the results.
The wires here are case front panel I/O, firewire, usb, e-sata, case fans, added fans, front audio, power sensor switch, and a couple of others.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Sweet set up bro. Ull b very happy with ur CPU btw. I run the same 1 and am so happy with it. multitasking with ur "quad" will be so easy. Why did u end up getting the 64bit Vista though? Ntw what graphics card are u gonna get? Will u set up ur crossfire/ SLI bridge ASAP or when required? Watcha gonna do regarding sound (on board or sound card?).

With regards 2 the whole cooling thing, Ive always been 2 LaZy 2 pay any real sort of attention at this issue. Then again Ive never really been into the whole performance thing as u have/are :)

Looks like the whole thing is coming up really nicely and cant w8 4 2 get it all working and hearing u on vent again m8.

out

PS whatcha gonna do with ur old PC. From what I understood the mb went bye bye so will u get that replaced and thus have yet another machine rdy 4 action?
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Well with 700W PSU, there should be a X2 or SLI/XFire setup. Else the PSU is a bit oversized.
I have a 400W PSU for a E8400/Asus P5Q-E with Nvidia 8800GTS 512 + 2HD +2 DVD-RWs. And it's enough
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Yes, I am planning on a crossfire setup. I don't really need 2 graphics cards if I'm to be honest, but it's something I've never had and I would love to have a play around with a dual graphics setup. (I know it's more money, but it is kind of my hobby).

As for sound card, I will be using onboard for about a month until I have the extra cash for a pci-e card. Not sure which model to get yet, but I'll update when I know.

With regards to the "cooling thing", to give you an example, my friend had the same chip with a stock cooler and it would idle at around 34 degrees, I am currently running at 13.5 degrees after 20 mins. I don't think this is entirely accurate, but I am pretty sure I am well below 20 degrees.

Core temps are:

core 1 - 30
core 2 - 27
core 3 - 22
core 4 - 22

My graphics card is running at 37 degrees, which is also pretty low.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Quick update:

Just ordered:

Sound card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express

DVD drive: Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA

(Optiarc is made by Sony).

Went though my account and worked out I had enough cash to get these bits now, just the graphics cards to go some time in the new year. Parts should arrive on tuesday.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

hey blofeld, nice pics and here are my two advices:

1st) 700Watt is only needed if you use Crossfire or SLI, other than that, 550Watt is completely sufficient

2nd) Crossfire is quite faster than a single GPU, it has two major weaknesses thou:
- there is some kind of minilag, due to it's not one single GPU processing(can be annoying)
- AOE III benefits lke 0% from dual GPU, a friend tested that on his comp. but okay, there are billions of games, not only AOE III :P
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]there are billions of games, not only AOE III :P[/quote]

WHAT?!?!? THERE ARE?!?!?!?!

;)
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""RascalJones""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]there are billions of games, not only AOE III :P[/quote]

WHAT?!?!? THERE ARE?!?!?!?!

;)[/quote]

Don't get all excited Rascal, he's just joking....... :roll: