Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Upgrading Pc

Post by Tubruk »

Thats the one :D
PCI-E - thats why i said it was less than 3 years old :) i forgot the name though, sorry for late reply computer crashed, and died had to do system restore, and have lost all recs VOD's and have to install aoe3 again :(
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Ouch yeah I think an upgrade is needed, my hamster hasnt keeled over just yet ;) lol

Yeah was gonna say if you had AGP(like I have) it may be worth trading in for new motherboard lol

Graphics Card - Yeah with 128Mb graphics card you seriously need to upgrade it, ther norm at the moment is 512+, maybe even 1024Mb.
I personally prefer NVidia card, but others may prefer ATI/AMD, if its NVidia you are looking for then going on the budget I'd be looking at the 9400GT, 9600GT or 9800GT depending on how much your spending on the other parts you need, also make sure that you power cables are right for your graphics card, as it can cause the graphics card to heat up faster than it should.
I might be wrong but This Card looks fairly decent to me.

As to RAM I aint got a clue I know it differ a lot with different machines

I'd speak to Jim about processors, I think it was he who knew a bit about them trying to teach me about them ages ago!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

yeah, ty dan i think i will get that GRFX card luckily i fell into a mid-sized pile of money :P and have a decent paying job as far as 17 Yo are concerned, so i think il splash out on my comp so im thinking-
-The Graphics card you showed me
-A fast Dual Core Proccessor, i dont think il need quad atm
-and atleast 3Gb Ram
and il be gd to go, i dont think overheating will be a problem, i have good ventilation towards Pc, Xbox. and my xbox doesnt even get warm after a good ass kicking on COD4
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I just bought ($529 USD) the following refurbished computer from TigerDirect.com:

-Gateway FX7029E
-Intel Core 2 Quad 9300; each core operates at 2.5 ghz; 2 x 3MB L2 cache; 1333 Mhz front side cache
-Intel G33 chipset
-4 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
-Nvidia Gforce 8800GT, 512 MB
-Vista 64 bit
-Shader Model 4.0

Seemed like a good deal so I pulled the trigger yesterday.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Dunno about the price but it's a nice computer
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Dunno about the price but it's a nice computer[/quote]

thats somewhere around the price of £250 8O which is a bit of a steal tbh just for the processor you looking at spending £200 to buy seperately, if its a Intel, but still its costing me £200 just to upgrade,
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Shizle""]I just bought ($529 USD) the following refurbished computer from TigerDirect.com:

-Gateway FX7029E
-Intel Core 2 Quad 9300; each core operates at 2.5 ghz; 2 x 3MB L2 cache; 1333 Mhz front side cache
-Intel G33 chipset
-4 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
-Nvidia Gforce 8800GT, 512 MB
-Vista 64 bit
-Shader Model 4.0

Seemed like a good deal so I pulled the trigger yesterday.[/quote]

im not sure whether games these days can utilize quadcore to its fullest though can they, because i was looking into getting quad but was advised otherwise when i told them my PC's Purpose. so im getting a AMD dual core 3.1Ghz :P
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I know very little about computers, but seems like the question is how much more are you paying for quadcore when it won't run the game that much better. I have to believe it'll help with running the game, but if you're paying, say, 200 pounds more, it might not be worth it. This rig popped up for a good price, so I rolled the dice (refurbished). Cross my fingers and hope for the best. One day, I'll copy all of my Hi8 tapes to computer and this should help.

I think I paid $2,000 for my current computer back in late 2002. It was quite good back then, but is old and busted compared to today's standards. It's time to upgrade.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Shizle""]I know very little about computers, but seems like the question is how much more are you paying for quadcore when it won't run the game that much better. I have to believe it'll help with running the game, but if you're paying, say, 200 pounds more, it might not be worth it. This rig popped up for a good price, so I rolled the dice (refurbished). Cross my fingers and hope for the best. One day, I'll copy all of my Hi8 tapes to computer and this should help.

I think I paid $2,000 for my current computer back in late 2002. It was quite good back then, but is old and busted compared to today's standards. It's time to upgrade.[/quote]

yeah thats sort of what i was trying to say, and i meant from upgrading point of view rather to buying if that makes sense, but once again for a Quad core computer for around £250 you cant go wrong really, and with 4Gb RAM. lol my first computer cost £1000/$2000 aswell, and it had 1Ghz lol not sure about other specs.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

That's some nice kit for the price - only major things you didn't mention are the hard drives and motherboard. Hopefully these are of a similar spec to the rest of the rig in which case you've got a cracking bargain there. The processor and graphics card together are probably worth the price you paid for it - think of the rest as a free gift!

It should be able to run crysis are a reasonable clip and that's no mean feat!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace