Can't install vanilla game

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Can't install vanilla game

Post by ruminator »

You may have noticed (or not probably LOL) I've not been around much. Well, my new PC is up and running, but I can't reinstall AOE3 as I have problems with disk 2. I even bought a second copy on ebay and that also has a problem on disk 2, albeit in a different place.

Standard guidance is to copy all the files to your hard drive and instal from there, but I cannot copy the cabinet file from disk 2 - the disc is obviously corrupt as it won't work on other PCs either. It's about 600 Meg in size. Is there any way someone can send me a copy of this - either by hosting on a file sharing site or otherwise? I only need this one file.

I can send someone a 1GB flash drive and postage costs if that's an option?

I'm missing that losing feeling!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Can't install vanilla game

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Ok I've found the file easy enough but the problem is it takes 7 hours to upload to a file sharing website and my crappy wireless adapter will probably lose connection in that time and stop the upload. I'll have ago and post again in 7 hours if it works but hopefully someone else can have ago as well just in case.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

As predicting something went wrong an hour in to the upload it jut stopped. I'm still connected to the internet but it refuses to upload. I think I'm at my upload limit and can't host such a file this size. Sorry ruminator I tried. :(
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I have access to an FTP server, but I don't have my disks with me. If someone wants to PM me, I can give them the address, user/passwords to post it on there.

600MB shouldn't take too long.

Let me know if I can help... :)
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I have the file up on my FTP server for you, please let me know when you have downloaded it and if all went well.

--PM sent with details--

Best of Luck :D

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I tried to download but couldn't get a better rate than about 9Kb/S - about 15 hours for the whole file. My wife gets stressed about electricals being left on over night so had to drop the connection.

I assume it didn't take you that long to upload it! I'll try again - maybe it was just a bad night bandwidth wise ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

if you got 2 discs with a problem on diff files, can't u copy the ones over from the disc where it's not the problem?
Also, MNBob once had his disc replaced by MS, maybe you should considder calling them as well for a replacement.

gl
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""ruminator""]I tried to download but couldn't get a better rate than about 9Kb/S - about 15 hours for the whole file. My wife gets stressed about electricals being left on over night so had to drop the connection.

I assume it didn't take you that long to upload it! I'll try again - maybe it was just a bad night bandwidth wise ...[/quote]

That's strange... It only took me 5 minutes to upload, and I transfer a lot of "heavy" graphics files with that server and rarely have any issues. Maybe it was just a bad time. I can leave it on there for a few days if you'd like to try it again. :)

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Thanks. Tried again tonight and it was really slow and then connection dropped .. I'll try at a less peak time in case it's an IP issue.

George Wallace
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Grrrrrrrr get ur thing worked out man. Its been ages since uve been building ur PC and now that uve got it it wont let u play. U need that game time bro.

out
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Nailed it last night - I'm now installed and just need to download patch.

Cleeduz - a big slice of cake for you!

George Wallace
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""ruminator""]Nailed it last night - I'm now installed and just need to download patch.

Cleeduz - a big slice of cake for you![/quote]

Yippeee, I'm glad it worked out for you! :D

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »