Power Supply surge

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Power Supply surge

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Hi guys, I have one of these Belkin power surge protector units. 10 sockets with surge protection that covers you up to something like £50,000.
Today, my daughter turned on a fan in the other room, and it tripped the mains switch for the circuit. After this happened I discovered my speakers (6 to 1 logitech set-up) for my computer would not turn on. So, I changed the fues, no luck, I decided to try another socket. They worked fine. I then tried another socket on my surge unit, and they worked fine. Turns out that the surge has done something to my unit and now that one socket won't supply.
Here's my question, I know the unit wasn't overloaded, but perhaps my daughters sockets were (I mean who's isn't right???). And it is on the same circuit as my surge unit. Does this void the cover on the unit? Thinking logicaly, it shouldn't do, as the unit is designed to protect from surge, but I'm wondering if they will question me about loads when I ask them for a replacement?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Power Supply surge

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

you lost me somewhere half way there ;)

nah, you should be able to claim a replacement imho
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

Surge conventor... overlaod wat? I lost you when you started being all geekey and all.... xD lol
A master Piece done by cleeduz
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well if you bought something to protect from power surges and it didn't do its job then its not fit for purpose and if they give you any hassle just argue that point. Its illegal to sell you stuff that doesn't fit the purpose its advertised to suit. It really shouldn't matter how the surge occurred, just that it did and your surge protector unit didn't do its job. At least this is the gist of what I can remember from the consumer protection laws I studied 5 years ago lol.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Seems like if the loads were always within specifications, their product wouldn't be needed. I think you should just ask for the replacement and see what they say. I wouldn't provide any details about what happened unless they ask, just tell them there was a surge and what was destroyed.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

That's what I plan to do, I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience. I'll put it in laymans terms:

The surge protection unit has a limit to how much power can run through it at any one time, the same way a wall socket does. If the surge protector had more than this amount when the surge happened, then I have voided the warranty.

But like you say, I'm not going to mention this. I'll just say I had "X" amount running through it (where X is below the maximum allowed).
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

your first question should actually be: Do you play AoeIII and read forums? No? ok... :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

I had one time a surge and also the surge protector failed afterwards, so i had to replace a fuse in the surge protector to get it running again.