z v p any suggestions for 4 gate warp rush

Strategy and Replay Discussion, please state the matchup in the thread title

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

iZyne
Conscript
Conscript

z v p any suggestions for 4 gate warp rush

Post by iZyne »

recently i've been playing a few prtosses and they sometimes to the 1 base 4 gate rush with zealots stalkers and sentries which i find really difficult to stop.

i tried mass lings but their 5 ++ lots just rip through them, so im guess roach ling is only solution? but even that sometimes fail

any ideas?
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: z v p any suggestions for 4 gate warp rush

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

What i do is 15 hatch 14 pool and gas at 16 in every ZvP as an opener. With my first 100 gas i get zergling speed and second 100 gas i get a lair and when lair is done i make a hydra den.

When my lair is about 1/3 done i throw down 4 spine crawlers if i scout a 4 gate or when im not sure what my opponent is doing. I use zerglings to find hidden proxy pylons and leave one zergling at his ramp to see when he moves out. The timing on those spines is so that they complete just before any normal 4 gate comes. The opponent cant engage 4 spines 2 queens and some lings with his initial force of 6-7 units so he will just poke and see your spines and back off and wait for second warp gate cycle and then push. By that time you should have had enough time to react and build enough zerglings and start some hydras. pump more hudras if he's continuing the push and ull easlily hold it off.

The downside of this kind of reaction/strategy is that you r forced into a defencive position for a quite some time because of slow hydras and immobile spine crawlers so this aint the best way but it works best for me.

Going pretty fast roach warren is always good and you if u do this u dont have to make as much spines crawlers so you can be more aggressive when you hold the 4 gate.

Also a very good trick is to make a wall in front of your spine crawlers with evo chambers so that zealots cant engage the spines.
froggyman
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by froggyman »

Only prob with hatch first u got make sure u dont get walled with double pylon and cannon rushed
iZyne
Conscript
Conscript

Post by iZyne »

getting a wall of spines drains minerals which i prefer to invest in hydras or roach.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Yeah thats what i said really ^^ Going lings is i think the worst solution cause two lings take one larva and two lings are way worse than one roach or spine which also take one larva.